Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.37 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A few more shots of the bumers..
[img]

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 01-22-2003, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Eric, I will start poking around this Friday, but I can't see why a vender/mfg wouldn't extend the deal to you if your purchase is counted as part of the initial group. I'll make sure this is considered in the negotiations.

I will post general information as soon as it becomes available, but I want to keep terms confidential as I think MFG's will appreciate it.

Shipping will be considered too, when possible. One example may be...If a few sets can be shipped to one location to save cost, great. That is if there are parties within a decent drive of each other. Such a good way for Pelicanites to meet, don't you think?

If you want specifics ($$$) e-mail me for any aspect of any deal that you don't see posted here. I'm trying to give folks more time to decide and (as if this thread hasn't been kicked to the top enough) folks to read the thread to develop more interest.

I will try to set up a time to meet or visit with one of the MFGs close to me to determine quality and potentially a deal. I think the earliest I can go by is next Friday. I have to move everything out of our old house this weekend so we can close the sale next week .

Thanks all for your interest.

Here is another pic...you recognize the gent in the middle???
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg yelloeng.jpeg (35.2 KB, 4429 views)
Old 01-22-2003, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

oops.. try again

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 01-22-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

johncj8989, are you looking for the CTR style for wide front fenders??????
Old 01-22-2003, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Yes Souk,
I want in on the deal...
I would ask Bill V. about where he got his I like hte quality look of his. I remember him saying they were good . I think BW .. In O'Fallen, IL

PLease keep me in the know ...
Thanks Souk.

Eric Mckenna
78SC

Old 01-22-2003, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

O'fallon is on the road trip destination.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Somewhere in the Midwest

If I can get them to warm up to the idea of a group buy. Otherwise it will be what I can get via e-mail or phone call.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

I have one only NLA original yellowbird rubber spoiler and gasket $200.00+S/H Email me at www.piedogger@aol.com
Old 01-23-2003, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

piedogger, you have PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Here's another pic with round brake cooling air intakes.

Old 01-23-2003, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
I remember seeing the wide body CTR caps advertised on exellence but I can't remember who it was? I am pretty sure it was not Better Boddies, so it is probably either MA Shaw or AIR?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Mikkel, That is an excellent picture. I was wondering how a ducktail might look on a CTR look.

Do you know anything about the round cooling ducts?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
Souk, do you have more pictures of the white CTR conversion you posted to start this thread.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Boost, I have some from other angles, but they are not tight shots. I think Zamir posted them on the thread that Mikkel started...run a search..otherwise I will post them when I get home.

Perhaps someone with a Cargraphic catalog will scan and post the pictures from the catalog. I requested a catalog, but was told it is revison...si I'll have to wait, but the catalog may not include that car.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Souk,
Ok, been watching this thread for a couple days. Now that I see the french silver coupe, I'm in.
I would like to be in on the group buy. Let me know what's going on.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

An the list keeps growing. I have some Rennlisters on board as well, so keep you fingers crossed for a great deal.

And yes, that Frenchmen with the silver CTR is alucky man...

(Man I hope this works)
Old 01-23-2003, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

I promised more pictures of the white car (not great, but it's the best I can do):

So far there are seven that have expressed interest in a group buy. I will send you an e-mail.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Here ya go guys.. check this bad boy out.. If the color was just a bit.. well if it were only Viper green!

SWEET huh!!!!

Eric McKenna
78SC

Old 01-24-2003, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Regardinig Ruf CTRs and flares, as well as the rear fender vents-or lack of.... and Ruf body parts. In the early-mid 90s I spent silly piles of money and time building what would be as close as possible to a California legal CTR. In a nutshell, there was no way, with the technoligy available in the early 90s, to duplicate one. I have first hand experience here so, here goes.

1- ALL authentic CTRs have, as a basic component, Ruf CTR flares. These are exactly 1" wider than SC/Carrera flares. To use these, you have to either expensively modify your existing rockers or purchase the specific CTR rockers [had I to do again, it would be cheaper to buy the expensive Ruf parts]. The rear bumper is also different for a genuine CTR and the parts made in USA are for SC/Carrera flares. This 1" difference makes a much much bigger difference on fitting components than you may think. The funny part is that the differnce is very subtle and unless you are parked very close to a stock SC/Carrera few people will notice. I cannot tell you how many times I had guys at Porsche specific events study my car and comment that they did not realize that Ruf 10x17s would fit under stock Carrera flares......

2-CTR rear bumper/side panels: The CTR used twin turbos and elegantly mounted the 'chargers on the sides of the engine and ran the air straight into the intercoolers which were, indeed, fitted into large openings on each side of the engine compartment It made the engine compartment wonderfully clean and easy to work on.

The first version of the CTR had the aero ducting above the rear flares[I think ugly] to get air moving through the side intercoolers. The later design used those extra vents on the "bumper" panels to suck air out and give adequate flow through the intercoolers. Buyers could order their cars as desired throughout production.

The bottom center vents helped evacuate air out from the under/rear of the car and was common to all CTRs. These were first seen on the Porsche factory prototype 930 in 1974.

If you look carefully, you will notice that the factory CTR front end has a rubber lip firmly attached to the bottom. You could optionally use factory fog lights/grilles/or the taped round duct for front brake cooling. The rubber lip made condiderable differene at serious speeds. None of the replica front ends have provision for this. I have had discussion with a notable supplier but it is felt that most buyers are after "the look" and do not want to pay extra for the genuine aero superiority

Also, Ruf used the stock Carrera rear engine lid. It was far cleaner and neater AND provided less drag- but at a loss of 100lb of downforce compared to a Factory 930 tail. If you look at the side profile of a CTR compared to a Factory 930, you will probably agree that the CTR has a much cleaner and aero look. The bulge for the intercooler and the built up rubber side stakes on the 930 rear adds considerable bulk to the back end. As the intercoolers were on the sides of the engine compartment, there was no need for the extra bulk. If you look...really... carefully you may notice that the CTR had a slight forward rake at speed. This probably helped that smaller tail to provide a bit more rear downforce. Either way it definitely made the cars look great.

The CTRs top speed secrets? Excellent and well thought out aerodynamics, low frontal area [look how big that piggish 959 is by comparison!!], and last,.... but certainly not least.... Herr Ruf very definitely understates his HP figures. Last, no one has noticed the CTR mirrors and the very suble shaving of the rain gutters? [You have to have a well integrated roll cage if you do this!] Both make a differnce to drag and reduce frontal area. He also supplies small inserts that can be glued into the front of existing rain gutters to help lower drag. These are straight copies of 935 bits.

If you think that these low drag pieces do not make *that* much difference you are incorrect. I have had the opportunity to try a variety of 930s at higher speeds. The REAL difference comes in starting at about 140. At 150, the difference is just astounding. FYI- a factory 930 with all the stock body parts becomes noticeably slowed by all the drag at about 140. Up to this point they go pretty well. A narrow body 930 [yes, they are rare but they actually exist] using SC/Carrera body as a base is noticeably slowed at about 150-160. The Ruf... It was really a matter of running out of RPMs, coming up on traffic [you would be shocked at how quickly this happens when you nail it a high speeds on a flat terrain with absolutely no visible traffic], or just running out of nerve.... Another subject we know little of here is that there are still no tires that withstand a constant speed over 200. People running the Nevada open road races can attest to this. Tire blow outs are the constant fear.

The authentic CTR pieces vs the present aftermarket. The Ruf parts are very high quality pieces. A close inspection of these compared to your aftermarket items is revealing. The Ruf pieces fit almost 100% perfectly. The quality of the glass, the fitment inside for the alll of the different light fixtures is well designed and substancial...and definitely time consuming to make. None of the aftermarket pieces is anywhere near the quality/detail work/robustness. [I presently have examples of the aftermarket pieces and they look nice but are not even in the same catagory as far as quality. Think Fiat vs Porsche.]

The genuine Ruf CTR is a definite animal. It is a barely steetable race car. It is NOT a comfy crusing machine. It is intended for one purpose only, to be as fast and responsive as possible. It still has performance levels that would worry the very best preening new supercars. I would own one in a second if I could figure out how to legally drive on on the streets here in California. [And don't bother with suggestions. Every option has been looked at- repeatedly- over the years. I am aware of how to get one here and registered... but there is no ...legal.... way one would be able to drive it, in its intended configuration on the streets here.]

BTW: You sometimes find beautiful examples of these cars appear in Europe for between $85-160k US. The big reason for the price variation is that 50% were built from bodies-in-white and have entirely Ruf vin numbers and the other 50% were built from existing SC/Carreras after the Factory ran out of bare chassis to supply and have Porsche vins with suplemental Ruf vins. People with big money want the all-Ruf cars. People like me don't give and damn and would just love the all Ruf bear of a perfromance car!

Even the replica bits make the cars look much nicer and cleaner. Don't stop playing with them!

Godspeed all

John Rice

356 Speedster/911 total bastard hot rod
73 RS/74 RSR ex-racer-still in race trim...bastard too
74 Carrera-not ruined yet [uhh, probably because I don't have it yet!]
79 930 Fact. Lt.weight Swiss/Euro Hillclimb champ when new. Street car.
new Audi allroad = MY opinion of the Cayenne
Old 01-24-2003, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kurt B Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt B
John Rice

Absolutely fascinating article! Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge of these cars. I'm fascinated by them, and yes, I had a very hard time understanding the rear flares. Clearly not 930, but not my Carrera size..eventually, I assumed they must be Carrera sized. I guess RUF really did tweak about everything they could on those cars to maximize their performance.
Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: