Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.37 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Somewhere in the Midwest

John,

Thank you for such an incredible post/article. That is great material, certainly better than I could have imagine when I started this thread.

Please share more of what you know. I think more details of your replication project will be a bit of history/knowledge that will be appreciated by all, even for those not so interested in the look.

I feel like we have just stumbled on a great find, and I have to have more details. Please post picture or details of your Ruf replica project, if you can. What happened with the project?

I notice that you are a new member (5 posts so far), so welcome.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Souk,
Great link and pictures.
John Rice,
Great detailed article.

There is speed.... and then there is VELOCITY
Old 01-25-2003, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

You guys keep mentioning bumper reinforcement...have you looked at the 993s? They have an aluminum, I think, bar running across the opening of the trunk. Since the bumper is plastic I assume this bar is for crash protection. Good luck to all!
01 996 TT - daily driver and
09 Audi A4 Avant
Old 01-25-2003, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Thumbs up

John,

Thanks for the detailed information, very informative. Iíve always been fascinated with the CTR as well. Did you attempt to duplicate the twin-turbo setup on your project? If so, can you elaborate on the details?

I believe John has been in the p-car community for quite some time now. In fact, correct me if Iím wrong, but I think John sells a respectable enrichment product for turbo owners.

Welcome to Pelican and look forward to reading future posts.

Last edited by TurboRuf; 02-04-2003 at 04:19 PM..
Old 01-25-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Unconstitutional Patriot

I wonder how much aluminum reinforcing it would really take to satisfy the desire for crash protection. I am seriously considering the RUF bumpers and would like to try fabricating some brackets. The aluminum is fairly cheap (from Aircraft Spruce), and I would like to get some practice welding aluminum with MIG and/or torch.

Can anyone provide insight into what the 993 reinforcement is like? I get the feeling the stock aluminum bumper on 74-89 cars is the minimum required for true crash protection, in which case it is a moot point.

Jurgen
Old 01-25-2003, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

OK guys, I have been caught up with a few things and have let this thread slide of the first page , but I want to make one more call for those interested in a group buy. Talks are beginning and I want to make this good. I have 8 interested parties, but I think there are some lurkers out there that just can't decide. If the price is right, would you buy? E-mail me with what you would pay, if you might be interested? (soukus@comcast.com)
Old 02-04-2003, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Souk--I am interested as well but won't be doing the bumper swap for a few months. Thanks
Old 02-04-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

I can't see any reason why a MFG wouldn't extend the pricing that far down the road if you are serious. This is exactly why I want to keep this thread fresh in the minds of folks who are so so about the purchase. In the end a group purchase when taken advantage of will benefit all parties.

If the market is indeed not so hot for the parts, it is to everyone's benefit to haveces (or extend preferential pricing) such that the product (development expenses already spent by the MFG) is moving out the door.

So let make a good thing. Come on all you fence sitters!
Old 02-04-2003, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

So I have 10 in the group now. Its getting better! Don't miss out on the savings.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Souk,

Which supplier are you considering for the group buy?
Old 02-05-2003, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Souk, I think that you need to specify which supplier you are considering the group buy with, then I would know whether to join in. I have been planning my CTR replica for over a year, really since the first time I saw Bill V.'s car on this BBS, and have researched sources and prices pretty thouroughly. The normal prices range from genuine RUF @ ~$1600.00 each, to BW motorsports, (Bill's suplier), @ ~$1000 a set, to Rennsport in CA. @ ~$700 a set. I have not bothered w/ M.A. Shaw or the others, they probably fall somewhere in there. They are definitely not all created equal, some I am not interested in, so the aforementioned info would be relevent to me, and probably others.

John Rice pretty much covered the aerodynamic issue; yes, small aero touches make a HUGE difference at 180-200 mph, zero difference at 100mph, (or close to zero). Aero drag is not a linear equation, if not mistaken. (But I could be).

I have a second cousin whom I barely know, Steve Beddor, who is I think the biggest RUF customer in the U.S. He had at least two CTRs, one AWD, (based on C4), and one RWD, I think. He is a respected club racer and I saw one of his CTRs advertised for sale a couple of years ago for what I thought was pretty reasonable, under $100k if memory serves. The pic on this thread of a 993 RUF car w/ MN. plates is definitely one of their cars.

Last edited by speeder; 02-05-2003 at 12:24 PM..
Old 02-05-2003, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

I don't want to post the manufacturers on the list yet, but I think most of us know who the players are. Naming names right now might compromise the deal somewhat. I know they are lurkers

I am certainly concern about quality, and the top of the list when it comes to quality is the original RUF parts. I have eliminated the authentic RUF parts as an option as I think the price is too much. There are a few out there that I think have been know to produce acceptable product. All of them require fitting and fitting and more fitting. Your patience and some hard work will make the final product look good, but I wont go so cheap that we have to do a group buy of fiberglass repair kits.

As for the real RUF cars...ahhh!!! I will own one someday. (they make a scale model right?). I remember reading about Steve Beddor's cars in European Car when the CTR2's came out. They featured two of them. How unfair. One man should not be allowed to own more than on RUF
Old 02-05-2003, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Souk,

Have you or anyone seen this conversion on a C2? I'm also considering a CTR conversion but I was wondering if the rear lights would have to be back dated. Or, does anyone have pics of a C2 CTR rear bumper conversion?
Old 02-05-2003, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

John,

Aren't the C2 fenders the same as the 74-89 cars? I think if you just add the front CTR bumper to your car, you'll get a great look. The first picture on this thread of the white car will give you an ideal of what your C2 might look like. The rear C2 bumper, although heavy, would look good when paired with the CTR front. The problem, would be the lighter front, yet heavy rear. I'll ask the MFG's if they have had customers use the parts for a C2. Someone more knowledgeable will come along for sure.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Limbo

Garage
Souk,

Regarding Steve Beddor's cars, one of the CTR Sport's is his and the other belongs to his brother David. Their father also owns one, his is a black version. After riding in Steve's CTR Sport this past summer, I AM RUINED FOR LIFE!!!! I will do whatever it takes to own one of these cars at some point in my meaningless life. (It will have meaning when I own one)..... Don't tell my wife I said that. HA HA HA HA

Slider79SC
79SC (rebuilding)
73 RSR track project
Old 02-05-2003, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Before I forget, can anyone give me a positive ID on the wheels on the white car in first post? TIA.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Slider, it is still sick that one family has more than one, but three!. Argh, life is so cruel to the rest of us.

Denis, I am just guessing, but the wheels look like Fikse. Perhaps someone with a Cargraphics catalog can confirm.

An now for the good news. Those that expressed interest, please check your e-mails.

And those that are still on the fence, now is the time. Trust me, it is the time, even if you don't plan to do the covers anytime soon, but you have the cash.

E-mail me: soukus@comcast.com

Add, just to keep teasing you:

Old 02-06-2003, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 82SC
ummmm

john after a great post like that you are obligated to post pics of your car!!!

MJ
Old 02-06-2003, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Wow cool cars, any 993 street Ruf,s i have seen the pikes peak cars, but cool street cars, Kevin
Old 02-06-2003, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

THe wheels are in the Cargraphic catalog and are a in house brand..
from 17-19" in dia.. and widths and colors...
I need to get my BONUS money NOW!!!!!!!!

Eric

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 02-07-2003, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: