Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

are these pressures at idle or are you reving the engine up.

2 condensers or 1

stock system

have you driven it to see how it does.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 07-09-2018, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
" 88911coupe"

2 condenser min.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I have both original condensers plus an additional large one with a fan in the rear wheel well. Charge was done at idle with large fan on rear condenser. After they charged it up I drove around a while but vent temp never dropped much below 60. Also have new upgraded evaporator, all hoses new as well.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

You should have ballfreezing a/c given your setup - mine is very similar, I just serviced the system yesterday (upper 90s in my garage) and got vent temps of 27.6 degrees with evaporator blower on max (pressures of 28 and 220) - seat back temps in the 50s, etc, . . . temp and pressure readings at idle and with windows closed (the Griff method for charging that works perfectly). The cabin was so cold and dehumidified, relative to the outside air, that it was shocking.

I know this is very frustrating, but your system has a problem, likely simple, that just needs to be found. Have you tried a new expansion valve, just for shiits and giggles?

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 07-09-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Before you start replacing parts and writing a 100 page thread.....

Stick a digital thermometer in the evap core to observe what its temperature is.

In general terms, with a normal operating system your evaporator outlet hose fitting will be sweating or frosted on a good system.

If your evaporator core is near freezing and you are seeing much higher vent temps then inspect for air leaks between the plastic evaporator outlet tube and the center vent.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Well I've already replaced pretty much every part already...LOL. However I did just do as you suggested and I'm getting 55-56 degree core temp which seems to be in line with 60 degree vent temps. The inlet pipe to the evaporator it very warm to the touch and the outlet is very cold and sweating a lot, but it's definitely not frosty. And thanks for taking to time to help.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage

I'm reading alot of your observations, yet can not see all the data from one session, reading bits and pieces from multiple sessions.

Ideally, what I'd like to see is the following:

1) Proper evacuation. And, advise how you did it, and how many microns you got down to immediately before charging, not the night before.
2) Amount of R134a in the system measured in ounces or grams, not cans.
3) What is the ambient temperature average around the car (not on weather channel).
4) What is the low and high side pressure at idle, and without any fans on condensers that are not on the car when you are driving.
5) What is the evap core temperature.
6) What is the center vent temperature on fan speed 2 or half fan speed
7) Windows up, fresh air controls to the left, heater boxes closed,
deck lid down resting on the service hose.
8) Which evaporator do you have and did it come with a new TEV attached.
9) How much of what type of refrigerant oil is in the system, in ounces.
10) Is the front condenser blower motor running when the compressor clutch is engaged, and if you have rear fender condenser and it has a fan is the fan running as well.
11) Post a picture of your rear fender condenser so we can see which way the tubes run and how it is plumbed.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

what are your pressures at 2k
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 07-10-2018, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Ok, will try to get Kuehl answers to all those questions. I think I can address them all except the Micron gauge reading. However, when I did this same process last year I had a functioning micron gauge and the reading, IIRC, were where they needed to be. The issue is the gauge died at some point over the winter and had been returned to be replaced. One thing I need to point out is that even when I took it to a good AC shop they mysteriously got the same end result as me. I will get all the details and post them as soon as possible.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Make sure the hose routing or flow through the condenser is correct.
the flow out of the compressor should go into the top of condenser to condense the 134 into a liquid coming out of the bottom of the condenser. I did a car backwards once and had a similar experience.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

OK, saw comment about orientation of new/additional condenser, here is a pic of how it's installed. Do I have in set up wrong? The "tubes" are a little hard to see but they are at the top. The smaller aluminum line is coming from the rear deck lid condenser.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
"11) Post a picture of your rear fender condenser so we can see which way the tubes run and how it is plumbed."

Appears you have a piccolo tube and fin design, more efficient than a standard tube and fin (alike what is stock on a deck lid condenser), we used them years back and they can do well, if you orientate them properly.

Looks like your 'tubes' are running vertical, up and down. Ideally the condenser should be orientated so the tubes are horizontal, left to right or right to left, with the inlet from the deck lid condenser at the top and the outlet at the bottom. This is not to say the way you have it... you could achieve some cooling performance, however currently it is not ideal.

When the refrigerant leaves the compressor it is a high pressure 'gas' and as the condenser removes the heat from the gas the change of state is from a gas to liquid.
With the refrigerant tubes in the condenser, as you have them, vertical (up and down) its difficult for the liquid to move through the tubes; takes more energy to move it up and down rather than left to right or right to left like going down a set of stairs in simple terms.

I can't see the size of your fittings, however the largest fitting (usually a #8) is the inlet and the smallest is the outlet (a #6). If they are both #8 then you just need a transition fitting from 8 to 6 on the bottom outlet manifold.

I won't say your issue of a warm evaporator core is related to above just yet, however you got a lot of non kosher stuff going on. Might as well get your ducks in order in addition to providing observations (data) from one evac, charge and test session.
Old Today, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: