Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

d. Loving this build. How fun, and the colour is uber retro cool.
Can’t wait to see you and mothy, probably in the windshield not the revision mirror given the quality of build design process underway! Really reminds me of the thought that went into my old 968CS build, the planing, complimented by good alignment and track setup advice, works.....!

Keep the posts coming, more pics please

Mothy....you got a thread or pics?
BMW M2
Old 01-27-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Front suspension parts from Eisenlohr Racing arrived. I will be fitting full ERP 935 front and rear suspension system.
To get the adjustability and handling characteristics I want, have designed with Tyson and Motion Control Suspension (MCS) a set of custom front struts for this car.
My previous 911 had custom modified front struts with some negative camber built in running stock control arms. As these struts are manufactured from scratch, I can make any adjustments i want. Will have 40mm raised spindles, bumpsteer and extra gusset to support steering arm and set with quite a bit of positive camber (+2 degrees).

Lengthened lower control arms will provide some improved characteristics while taking a larger tyre and correcting scrub radius. Extra benefit is removing a heap of weight and make it easier to adjust settings.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Hi MC,
Was being tempted to buy a newer car, or a cup.
But as you can see enjoying the process of building my own... really enjoyed the raw nature of my previous 911 (Richard @ PR Tech in Australia did a great job of the initial set up) and then over the years I progressively developed it from there completely upgrading the suspension so by the end ther was not a single rubber bushing left - was all mono balls and Rebel RSR fittings.
This one is going to be way more extreme in every way! (and lighter) (with a bigger engine)
Old 01-27-2018, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

There’s something special about you doing your own build.
You back in Syd for 2018?
BMW M2
Old 01-27-2018, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc968cs View Post
There’s something special about you doing your own build.
You back in Syd for 2018?
Yes, really enjoying being able to customise every little detail.

Still based out of Adelaide.
Will catch up with you later this year as I plan on doing a few Sydney events (Wakefield 4-5May and Porsche70th at SMP on 7-9Sep)

Unfortunately won’t make Bathurst at Easter, while the build is progressing quickly, with shipping and customs etc it would be too tight so will focus on getting it right and be there next year. (Will be the first time i have missed Mt Panorama since i have had the 911)

The big news is our new racetrack in South Australia is now finished.
First race in March includes GT3 challenge with Shannon national round.
Porsche Club SA have secured the full track for a club event in September.
We have also got a new Porsche only race series starting this year which in being held at each of the state title rounds. Five events for the year with two at Tailem Bend, first one is June.

Track final surface was laid in November and is now curing for March/April first motorsport use. Its going to be an epic track with lots of elevation changes. The extended circuit is 7.7km (nearly 5mi) long and has 4 main circuit configurations - see below.

Last edited by DHE11; 01-27-2018 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Photos / calendar correction
Old 01-27-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Chassis had a full cage fitted when i bought it, however i have done some substantial mods to meet Australian CAMS approval, while providing more torsional stiffness in the rear. The CAMS regulatory guidelines are typically based around larger diameter tubes (42mm main hoop). Not a big issue as lots of American cars are imported and used for competition in Australia, however they often use more tubes and usually require some mods, depending in the intended use.

Prior to making the changes, I consulted with CAMS technical department in Australia to get their input and approval.

Two rear diagonals (red) were positioned very low joining the main hoop where the harness bar was located. They didn’t meet spec or provide much torsional rigidity in that location, so they were removed.

Two new braces were installed to add rigidity and brace the top of the main hoop. The regulations on the attachment are quite specific and require they join within 100mm of the top.

I also added a full X brace in the roof for rollover protection and its contoured to provide max clearance over my seat/helmet. While I’m not tall, you can never have enough extra safety and also leaves room for top mount air into my helmet.

My father used to race speedway and was multiple state and Australian title holder, unfortunately he is now a paraplegic from a big rollover while carrying Aust #1. His helmet was impacted through the top of the roll cage, being on the pit crew i witnessed this first hand, so this is one area i wont be looking to save weight or $$$’s. (Once the belts lengthen on a high G shunt, the cage deforms a little and you allow for being upside down in the grass or dig into the surface a little, all the safety margin you thought you had disappears!)

Have been in contact with CAMS technical (Aussie motorsport regulator) as part of the cage design and spec so it has all been basically approved in principle to make the log book process easier once it arrives back in Aus.

While it only strictly requires one diagonal as a rear brace and one across the roof, i have done 2 (in a X brace) as it allows me to have it CAMS approved for second person and be rally registered, and makes it safer!

Last edited by DHE11; 01-28-2018 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: Photos
Old 01-28-2018, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Nearly caught up to current status....

After finishing the cage, needed to finish the structural work before it went to body shop for paint prep.

My custom MCS struts will raise the front spindles as high as they can go with 17”wheels, but lowering a 911 properly means the back need to be addressed to ensure its balanced and the roll centres arent out
Answer: raise the rear swing arms attach points and fit ERP 935 adjustable swing plates.

This is Tysons specialty - custom fabrication and suspension geometry /set up

Last edited by DHE11; 01-29-2018 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Photos
Old 01-29-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Moving the rear suspension attachment points up requires some secondary modifications as the higher position above the torque tube is where the rear seat pan is. This leaves to two choices, make some small reliefs or cut the whole area out. Given we were going so far already i decided to remove the whole rear seat pan. Makes it easier to do the reinforcing work and for future access and servicing.

Fabricated some rear cross braces to triangulate.
This modified rear suspension set up will reduce toe change that the 911 are known for.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Where did “Project 77” come from?

Had a question on this, and by sheer coincidence my previous chassis and this one are both 1977 SC’s.
They were also both converted to wide bodies, but that’s about where the similarities end.

One was a 965 C2 look, this is loosely a 73RSR look with some 911R influences.

While the rear of the C2 body work caught a lot of air in the rear guards and bumper, the early style rear bar on this one sits up quite high. It’s a very different look and there’s not much body work aft of the rear tyre at all (a bit like the 991RSR, maybe that’s a stretch!)

I say loosely as the 73RSR had no rocker fairings with a lot of air going under the car - I won’t be doing that so it’s really not going to look like an RSR clone...

I’m not building it to sell, so not overly concerned with resale value as otherwise I’d follow the IROC or RSR recipe. My previous car was built on a similar principle, and supported my belief if it’s build to a high quality and consistently wins races and championships then the future resale value tends to take care of itself...

Once released from the restraints of following the replica look, I contemplated adapting and customising some turbo rockers which I would normally make myself. That is not currently practical given my garage and composite gear is a 16 hour flight away from LA.
The answer came while I was on my last visit with the car at Pro Motorsports and I saw Brads track car which had A.I.R winged rockers fitted, perfect.
I would have spent many days with moulds and jigs trying to make something similar. Big body parts are so horrendously expensive to import due size and volumetric charges that the freight costs more than the part, so I made the decision to order a set while in LA

So it seems a little bit of C2 DNA has made it on to this build as well....

This will help with future aero, and have a secondary benefit of limiting damage caused by stones etc coming off the front tyre.
Patina, which Magnus made fashionable (and is guaranteed with wide bodies) is not something I really want too much of with composite doors and guards. Would rather focus my time elsewhere and not have to be continually repairing them.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Car has composite doors, so window net required.
Old one was time expired and when testing the seat position found the mounting tab for the top window net bar was exactly in the right spot to gash your head while getting in and out.

Seat has a halo surround so means you need to go forward and out.
Locally manufactured in South Australia by a company called Velo. I had two of their seats in my last car which I liked the fit so I brought one with me from Australia to LA last trip...

Chopped off the seat belt tab, and searched until i found something better.
This “Joe’s” slide set up to secure the new Simpson net was the solution (should save a few stitches in the head, or damaging helmets...)

Old 01-30-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Administrator

I was actually just looking for coilovers for the G series, and MCS may be an option for my friend too.

Can't wait to see how your car turns out after it's completely built! It's looking like it's going to be a great track weapon!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
I was actually just looking for coilovers for the G series, and MCS may be an option for my friend too.

Can't wait to see how your car turns out after it's completely built! It's looking like it's going to be a great track weapon!

Hi Eric,
The machining for my struts and damper package was done in December, and the MCS guys assembled and dyno tested them over the holidays for me which was appreciated.
It was quite a fast process for a full custom solution.

Here they are delivered...

Old 01-30-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHE11 View Post
Hi Eric,
The machining for my struts and damper package was done in December, and the MCS guys assembled and dyno tested them over the holidays for me which was appreciated.
It was quite a fast process for a full custom solution.
Thanks for sending over a picture I'm definitely really interested in your setup and how they are for both high speed and gymkhana since they're two completely different kinds of racing. Guess we'll have to wait for your car to finish before finding out!

Just curious, but how long did it take from start to finish for them to provide you with your custom set?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
Thanks for sending over a picture I'm definitely really interested in your setup and how they are for both high speed and gymkhana since they're two completely different kinds of racing. Guess we'll have to wait for your car to finish before finding out!

Just curious, but how long did it take from start to finish for them to provide you with your custom set?
Hi Eric,
Have used a 911 for both disciplines before with high level of success. While my previous car had custom built bilstein shocks that were matched to the springs there was no adjustability there, so limited to really use toe/camber settings to assist with set up. And 911 rear toe change is a pain so only did the front!
So i expect this new set up to be an improvement over that once i get it dailed in which may take some time....

Re the new struts /dampers
The whole process was 6weeks for new custom struts.
I believe it can be done a little faster but we spent sone time back and forth going over the specs with Tyson as its non standard build (these struts have some positive camber built in as we are running longer lower control arms)

Contact details are
Motion Control Suspension – Motorsport Damper Systems

info@motioncontrolsuspension.com

or reach out to Wyatt who I have been working with direct
Wyatt@MotionControlSuspension.com
Old 01-30-2018, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHE11 View Post
Hi Eric,
Have used a 911 for both disciplines before with high level of success. While my previous car had custom built bilstein shocks that were matched to the springs there was no adjustability there, so limited to really use toe/camber settings to assist with set up. And 911 rear toe change is a pain so only did the front!
So i expect this new set up to be an improvement over that once i get it dailed in which may take some time....

Re the new struts /dampers
The whole process was 6weeks for new custom struts.
I believe it can be done a little faster but we spent sone time back and forth going over the specs with Tyson as its non standard build (these struts have some positive camber built in as we are running longer lower control arms)

Contact details are
Motion Control Suspension – Motorsport Damper Systems

info@motioncontrolsuspension.com

or reach out to Wyatt who I have been working with direct
Wyatt@MotionControlSuspension.com
That's a really quick turnaround time for a full custom setup! I really appreciate the contact information for Wyatt, I'll have to get in touch with him after I figure out a game plan for my friend's 911S. Pretty sure it's going to be a hybrid street/track setup too. Thanks again!

Can't wait to see more new updates!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
This update and purchase may be the most unusual one you might see from me, and going in an old 911
- a Voodoo 13 hydro handbrake.

Im removing the whole e brake assembly from the cabin and rear trailing arms/brakes and fitting a hydraulic handbrake to the rear circuit.
This bit of kit I discovered from Voodoo13 in the US is a real work of art, and one of the the lightest available.

Ive never used the handbrake in Motorkhana’s before and found I can use the throttle effectively to get the back sliding around. However a fellow Porsche competitor who does rallies has fitted one to his 74RS two seasons ago and i must say having watched how effective it is, it represents a distinct advantage on some of our our tighter patterns. The two of us typically battle over 1st and 2nd in the championship. The non Porsches like Miattas all use the handbrake too, but I can usually stay ahead of them on the time sheets at the end of the day, proving a well set up early 911 is still a very formidable car.

Ive watched people in newer Porsches use it fine, however I wouldn’t dare use the e-brake in my old 911 due the design and worn parts, as i would be too worried it would go over centre and lock on leaving me stranded mid course.

When i was new to competition and 911’s and didn’t know this. I learnt the hard way during a 6 hr event where we did 1hr stints each and i made the mistake of putting the hand brake on rather than chocking the car, and being a little worn and hot it locked on over centre and i had to pull the whole wheel off and disassemble the hub and nearly missed the next stint.

So in future i will have a hydro and be channeling my inner Ken Block !!!
Will see how that goes...

Let me know if anyone else has done this before
Old 02-01-2018, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
^Um Awesome!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 02-01-2018, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Bathurst 12Hr - GT3 Race this weekend - live stream

For the Endurance racing fans

International Streaming - Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour

Top10 shootout / qualifying on Saturday afternoon Australia EST
Race starts Sunday morning Australian 0545 EST
Race starts in the dark....!
He’s a lap in the day light...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/02/02/video-onboard-van-gisbergen-mclaren-gt3/

At the beginning of this thread are a few photos of my previous car at Bathurst.
The two pics below is coming down the “Esses” after “Skyline”
This clip is from today’s practice, where he stops spinning it the start of the esses at skyline....

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/02/02/video-davisons-double-spin-mcphillamy-park/

Second photo includes “Mothy” in #4 from this forum.
Our cars were quite similar, both SC widebodies.
Now we’re both building new cars, both early 911 widebodies and chosen a similar colour which is total coincidence as we didn’t discuss it prior.....

D

Old 02-02-2018, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mothy
It really is one of the best tracks in the world - has everything to throw at you then some more. And to think that most of the year it's a public road.

Last edited by Mothy; 02-02-2018 at 02:21 AM..
Old 02-02-2018, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Administrator

Woah, this is getting really interesting! Will the Voodoo handbrake get in the way when you're on the circuit? If I were doing a hydro handbrake setup, I have a feeling I'd yank accidentally yank it sometimes, haha.

Looking forward to the Bathurst 12Hrs, I love watching it!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: