Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
Woah, this is getting really interesting! Will the Voodoo handbrake get in the way when you're on the circuit? If I were doing a hydro handbrake setup, I have a feeling I'd yank accidentally yank it sometimes, haha.

Looking forward to the Bathurst 12Hrs, I love watching it!

Hi Eric,
This whole hydro thing is a bit of R&D, ive never done it before so had the same concerns. However here the plan to overcome the problem - Solution #1

Aside from light weight and build quality, the main reason i selected the Voodoo13 product is it can be configured multiple ways, so it can also be set as a traditional “pull up”

Or it can be configured as a pull back (non inverted) , or with a lower pivot change a push forward (inverted). So this should provide a bit of flexibility with mounting locations.

Failing all of that, the long handle extension is actually removable.
So this is the most likely solution for track days and just fit for motorkhana/gymkhana events.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Hargett shifter

Solution #2
Before committing to the concept of a hydro handbrake, i was on the search for a Hargett Pro shifter. Even without the modified handbrake this was part of the build plan.
However when i went to order before Xmas, Hargett could not supply, and I searched the world and no retailers had stock. I tried a few WTB posts here with no luck...

After giving up on the Hargett as “unobtanium”, i contacted Clint@Rebel for a RSR raised shift tunnel to move the shifter up. I would get another Wevo which I had in my previous car and really liked. The tunnel raiser and Wevo would work well.

A month passed and I couldn’t beleive it when a Hargett came up for sale on this forum which i was lucky enought to secure from @flyn-hawn, i think i must have sent 3 PM’s and emails in the middle of the night confirming i was #1 in line.
Dave even had the linkages and dropped then off in LA, thanks Dave - legend!

Old 02-02-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

What a lovely start of the project, and well done for keeping it going!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Administrator

I get more and more excited with each update you post, DHE11! Thank you for all your insight, you’ve definitely thought everything through!

Oh, you may have sold me on the Voodoo hydro handbrake too
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Spend quite a bit of time defining the workscope prior to paint.
Here are the last pictures before the car went to the body shop...

Old 02-03-2018, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Body prep and paint

Car is currently at the body shop.
All of the major panels on this car will be composite. Quite a bit of work involved to prep, fit and carry out some small modifications.
Front fender is having fuel filler delete as remote fill not requried with the fuel cell.

Door handle delete underway and fitting the new A.I.R winged rockers.
As the rear guards are removable, the rockers also need to be easily removed. Being new parts these requried a fair amount fitting to line up and fasten (about a dozen cigarettes and an energy drink per side....)

Old 02-05-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Brake package

After reviewing all the options, i decided to go with the Rebel Racing 996 brake package.
Its bolt on and i have bought parts fron clint@rebel before.
All the RSR suspension parts i have had previously have been very good quality, i know it will work, and they look so good its a shame too fit them where they are out if sight! (however makes me smile later when i am under the car servicing it...)

Larger diameter and thickness rotors are offset by lighter alloy hats, which supports my aim to keep the unsprung weight down. I did not need to go overboard with big heavy brakes as car is on target for being well under 2200lbs.

996 on the rear too.
Have removed all the e-brake weight and mechanicals as will be running the Voodoo13 hydraulic handbrake.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
More photos of bodywork prep...

Old 02-09-2018, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
While doing the bodywork putting in a flush frame to fit a lexan windshield.
More weight savings....

Old 02-10-2018, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Sealing the firewall

More body work.... lots of holes to weld up to seal the factory firewall holes, plus where the cage comes through to tie the front and rear suspension points.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Speedo is out to North Hollywood for the Mph to Kph conversion.
My previous one in Australia was 300kph, however this time i have elected to go for a 250 dial.
With the close gear ratios, the 3.6 and a very low 5th, I expect top speed at place like Bathurst will be limited to 245kph (152Mph)

I looked at a few different styles and decided to keep it basic so it is easier to read at a quick glance.... (and i mainly just use the tacho)

Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
More firewall holes sealed up and brake booster out.
Will be running an adjustable dual master cylinder set up
Old 02-12-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
996 brake package

Sourced a set of refurbished 996 calipers to go with the new discs.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
More sealing of the firewall/dash.

Previous interior was white, which is too bright and reflective.
Had then been painted silver.

Going with a grey to keep it light colour but cut down the interior brightness.
Will also do the engine bay and trunk grey as well.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good. I am eager to see the progress as you continue. Makes me want to get back on my car ASAP.

Christopher Fowler
Old 02-15-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Had a few shipments of Rebel Racing gear delivered (thanks Clint) so could start trial fit of the brake rotors and calipers on the new MCS struts. Needed to do this to take some accurate clearance measurements for some custom 17” wheels.
Looking good to achieve a target of 15lbs or less per wheel...
Old 02-17-2018, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Interior paint complete

Finished the interior and engine bay/trunk.
Time for colour now - brave choice with Karminrot, so will see how it looks soon....

Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Administrator

Nice updates! Can't wait to see it painted Karminrot!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
New track update

Our new motorsport park at Tailem Bend in South Australia is nearly ready for first event, a GT3 endurance round and local Porsche cup challenge. GT field will use the full 7.7km circuit.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

wow
Old 02-23-2018, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: