Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I would like to compliment Karl on his testing initiative and the high production quality of his video. The filming and editing is first rate and the various testing scenarios were well thought out. I also appreciate that he took a 'you judge for yourself' approach rather than offer his opinions which is so often the case with this kind of test. That said I would like to respectfully offer some information to help better understand what is seen in the video.

The fire test was generally well done but did have one significant issue that affected the results. On the larger fires the extinguisher was held too close to the flames to allow the gas to saturate the area around the fire. The technique of getting close and sweeping the base of the fire is appropriate for a powder extinguisher but is not for a gas extinguisher. This applies not only to the Element but also to CO2 or a Halon/Halotron extinguisher. Had the tester moved back a little then the gas would have had the chance to surround the fire and put it out. It was disappointing that a pro firefighter missed that however it re-enforces our need to create the correct educational materials to best prepare our customers for an emergency. One cool thing was that the close proximity to the liquid fire demonstrated that the Element did not blow the liquid out of the pan into a big fire ball as would have occurred with any compressed bottle type extinguisher.

Our website has been recently updated with a new Media section that shows more fire scenarios including a car engine fire. In all the videos the people putting out the fires were not pros and had limited or no experience putting out a fire with an Element. They were however told that the goal is to create a cloud around the fire in order to put it out and the results are plain to see.

One interesting test that Karl did show in his video was the fire being put out behind the mesh. That scenario perfectly shows how you can point the gas from an Element through a cracked open hood or a grille to saturate an area before opening the hood to finish off a fire. This ‘pre saturation’ will greatly reduce the chance of a flare up when opening the hood because the gas (which is heavier than air) will block incoming oxygen from feeding the flames. Definitely a cool illustration.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Looks like a retest is in order.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Fire View Post

One interesting test that Karl did show in his video was the fire being put out behind the mesh. That scenario perfectly shows how you can point the gas from an Element through a cracked open hood or a grille to saturate an area before opening the hood to finish off a fire. This ‘pre saturation’ will greatly reduce the chance of a flare up when opening the hood because the gas (which is heavier than air) will block incoming oxygen from feeding the flames. Definitely a cool illustration.

That would work very good on a 911 engine fire as the engine bay is sealed at the bottom and have a large grill at the top.
Not sure how it would work if there was an oil/gas fire at the exhaust under the engine?

The 50-60 seconds of "burn time" was impressive I think, the normal 2kg dry powder last 10 seconds.
Karls test showed that it wasn't 100% residue free, but I think I would take that over the dry powder any day of the week...

Element Fire, what do you say about the residue? A typical result or was it due to being to close? Does it come of if taken care of right away?
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe View Post
That would work very good on a 911 engine fire as the engine bay is sealed at the bottom and have a large grill at the top.
Not sure how it would work if there was an oil/gas fire at the exhaust under the engine?

The 50-60 seconds of "burn time" was impressive I think, the normal 2kg dry powder last 10 seconds.
Karls test showed that it wasn't 100% residue free, but I think I would take that over the dry powder any day of the week...

Element Fire, what do you say about the residue? A typical result or was it due to being to close? Does it come of if taken care of right away?
Agreed. In a confined engine bay with all the nooks and crannies an Element extinguisher does very well. Being able to 'fill' the compartment with gas is the key to fighting the fire (again this technique holds true for CO2 or Halon/Halotron).

We quote a conservative number of 50 seconds of discharge time but over 60 is normal and there are variances from unit to unit as it is a chemical reaction that can be a little variable. The 66 seconds observed is normal and for sure looks good compared to our claimed amount.

Regarding the residue observed the amount varies from unit to unit that can go from nothing to a trace amount (as seen when pointing the unit at fresh clean parts not surrounded by fire). Interestingly the residue is not a product of the gas that comes out of the unit. The chemicals inside are contained in a cardboard tube and during discharge some of this cardboard gets expelled so what you are seeing is charred cardboard dust and is normally at its worse in the first few seconds of discharge.

You will also note that when first lit there is a flame that comes out of the tip of the unit. This flame quickly dies down after a few seconds but at the beginning is largest as the striking chemical on the tip is being consumed. During this window some of the chemical tip can fly out and if pointed at something clean like the aluminum can produce the result seen. Had the clean test been performed at the end then you should at worst gotten some of the cardboard dust previously mentioned and would wipe off. Again if you run a test whose only job is to find residue then some is possible. Our claim of 'no residue' is not intended to mislead anyone but is expected to be taken in the context of no residue compared to the many pounds of corrosive dust released by a powder extinguisher, or no residue in the scene of a fire.

I applaud Karl for his effort. This all started when our original video admittedly did a poor job of showing the product in action. Since then we have presented better examples that allow a customer to get a realistic feel for the capabilities of the product. Element is intended to be a small and maintenance free fire fighting option that is easy to carry and use. It is best for incipient fires allowing you to tackle them before they spread out of control. In fire protection you learn that there is not one perfect tool for every job but in Element we feel that we have a product that on a balance of factors is an attractive overall option for the general user and offers reliable fire fighting protection when other larger options are not practical or available.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Red Line Service

Garage
Element fire: Thank you for your many responses. As we at Red Line have sold many Element extinguishers, it is great to see a manufacturer who takes the time to answer consumers questions and update the technical applications of there product. Most of my clients are purchasing multiple units. One for each car, and a couple for the house. I even had one client that purchased one for each German collector car, a couple for the house, and two for each on his British cars .
Old 03-23-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
HELP, HELP, FIRE, FIRE. Sorry, got to sit down and read the Element Instructions first. Not in my car.
This is not a product for the average joe in a panic to put out a car or house fire!
M2Cs
Johan
Old 03-24-2018, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
This is what I use

https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 03-24-2018, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bixen View Post
".....and two for each on his British cars". ].
I think you should recommend THREE for EACH British car. One for start-up, one for the drive and one for the tow.

Come to think of it...the Element Fire folks should probably do bulk discounts JUST for the owners of British cars with vintage Lucas wiring.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
I think you should recommend THREE for EACH British car. One for start-up, one for the drive and one for the tow.

Come to think of it...the Element Fire folks should probably do bulk discounts JUST for the owners of British cars with vintage Lucas wiring.
Funny You Porsche guys have it easy. Excellent engineering, robust electrics, and dry crankcases. When we play its in the world of Italian junk where a leak free car means its out of oil and where wires regularly change colors in the middle of the harness making tracing circuits a real treat.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post

I busted a gut reading this. FWIW, none of the British cars I owned, ever caught fire, although my Porsche did! And don't even get me started about Italian cars, as cute as they are.

At least the Brits used steel fuel lines.....
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Red Line Service

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
HELP, HELP, FIRE, FIRE. Sorry, got to sit down and read the Element Instructions first. Not in my car.
This is not a product for the average joe in a panic to put out a car or house fire!
M2Cs
Johan
M2Cs,
Remember, you didn't know how to use a standard fire bottle when you came out of the womb. This technique was learned also. Besides, you'd have to be some kind of.... to have emergency equipment available to you that you haven't been trained to use. Remember, they even show people how to use a seat belt when you get on a plane. Having the tools is only a small part of the equation, you need the basic knowledge to go with it.
My 2cents!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for compliments. Much appreciated. Special thanks to Johan/"Uwon," Will/"OldSpool87" and Bruce for genuinely supporting the vid's making.

Am going to respond to comments & questions with subheads instead of copying posts.

Comparable test

Doing side-by-sides is indeed an excellent idea. This path was considered but I declined going this route due to the complexity involved at the time. If there's genuine interest on the part of multiple parties wanting to donate different extinguishers, and we agree on a test plan easily, I'd be involved to further our insight.

Engine fire

A 911 engine compartment is a different environment than the open pool fires as tested here. The "cave" of a 911 engine compartment would surly have some effect on the "relationship" of the fire to the manner in which an Element suppresses the energy of a fire in the "cave."

According to the test as I interpret it, a relatively "small" engine fire could easily be extinguished with an Element with the engine lid open and with a reasonably intelligent person operating the Element for the first time. A fire engulfing the engine compartment would---in my opinion---present too much energy for an Element in untrained/inexperienced and panic'd hands to extinguish... particularly with the engine lid open.

I'll speculate that discharging a good part or the entire content of an Element into the engine compartment BEFORE the engine lid is opened (through the air intake grill) is possibly the way to go for a 911 engine fire. Obviously this means "extinguishing in the blind"---surly an uncomfortable position to take (without prior experience.) The rationale: entombing the gas cloud would work better than opening the engine compartment---opening the lid immediately providing more oxygen to benefit the flames. Again, PURE speculation on my part.

Residue on aluminum

The sheet aluminum test surface received the most splatter residue of all compared surfaces. I believe this fact is nothing more than the luck of the draw in terms of the way the Element extinguisher worked in the test case. (Look closely during the vid and you'll see splatter accumulating on surfaces near the fires particularly during fires 2 and 3.) The sheet metal did etch quickly and given the fact that I did not attempt to clean the surface immediately, the residue hardened on the sheet aluminum and did not thin/remove with mineral spirits as was attempted many hours after the test.

Extinguishing technique

Comment was made by "Element Fire" (in the thread) that the technique used to extinguish the larger fire was incorrect---the extinguisher was too close to the flames and as such did not allow the cloud of Element gases to envelop the flames. I agree with this. Look at the vid---you'll notice there was a left-to-right breeze during the test and we moved left to right in an arc from one fire to the next. Look closely at the 2nd and 3rd fires... the Element gas cloud that proceeded the extinguisher (blown by the breeze) put these fires out in advance of the extinguisher itself arriving. Could we have done better using the Element's gas cloud to extinguish the larger/last fire? I think that's possible... but... the breeze at the time might have dispersed the gas cloud diminishing performance where this particular fire was concerned. (The large rag fire extinguished itself due to the fuel having burned out.) Bottom line, the environment of a given fire AND knowing how to use a given extinguisher are mutual factors relative to how well any extinguisher performs. Knowing what I know now, I would handle an Element differently compared to what was seen in the vid---I'd focus more on using the gas cloud compared to fanning the base of or the flames themselves.

For the most part, the pictogram illustrations on the product for user instruction are well done. They're clear and quick to understand. There is a failure in regard to instructions that tell a user how to interface with a fire when using the product---that failure being a lack of clarity in regard to using the gas cloud. Compliments to Element Fire for recognizing the need to improve Element's user instructions. (You could have been defensive or better still called me an idiot and you didn't Element Fire. Bravo!)

Comment that fuel was NOT blown out of the large fuel-pool'd fire and so spread by the extinguisher... that's correct. Whether a powder or gas extinguisher would blast pool'd fuel and so spread a fire by comparison... that I believe is a matter of how close any given extinguisher is to the fire source.

The "mesh test" did show Element's gas cloud extinguishing the fire before the Element extinguisher "arrived." For detail, this particular fire was from a 16 oz glass bowl with about half a cup of typical car fuel burning in it. (All fires were the same fuel with the exception of the rag being incorporated in fire #4.)

"No residue"

It's possible to conclude the manufacturer being somewhat reasonable when making a "no residue" claim when considering extinguishers that discharge volumes of powder or fluids. That said, and knowing marketing departments are paid to test the boundaries of fact & fiction, "minimal residue" would be closer to the reality witnessed. On an engine and if dealt with immediately, I believe the splatter would clean off, possibly with mineral spirits. On a porous surface such as fabric... how to clean and the results from cleaning are unknown. Clearly there is penetration of the splatter into porous surfaces.

While the splatter is easy to see, there's also a fine mist that settles. A strip of tape was placed on test surfaces to check for mist residue in particular. The aluminum sheet as looked at after the fire testing and after removing the strip of tape shows best what degree of mist had settled.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Flojo ....i have the same in my 911 .Did you know it is actually patented in Czech Republic by Mr.Cervinka?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that, genius has its limits". Albert Einstein.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Karl thank you for providing your feedback to the various replies and for continuing to offer a neutral representation of both your observations and opinions. It is a refreshing change to the more forceful approach many people take when reviewing or evaluating a product.

Element is new to the consumer market but has been sold to military, police, and institutional customers outside of North America for over a decade. While we are convinced of the merits of the product, entering a consumer space holds very particular challenges and we are trying our very best to put forward an honest and realistic message so that customers can make informed purchasing decisions. I agree that we have room for improvement and have taken your feedback and the feedback of the group to heart to help us better present our product moving forwards.

Interestingly in the fire extinguisher world there are two big education hurdles:

1. Most people greatly over estimate the size of fire a given fire extinguisher can handle. Handheld extinguishers (regardless of type and size) are for dealing with small fires before they really take hold. Your window to get started fighting one of these fires is small and very quickly they reach the point where a professional fire fighter is needed. As such having an extinguisher that is easy to have close at hand and has a long discharge time is a huge head start in dealing with a fire. Regardless of what you choose to use an extinguisher MUST be easily accessible. In the case of a car that means within reach of the driver in the drivers compartment. In the trunk will waste too much time in an emergency.

2. All extinguishers have their shortcomings. One is really good on wood fires but useless on oil fires. One makes a huge corrosive mess, another is weak in windy conditions, while another cannot be used on electrical. There is no one perfect tool but on a balance of performance we are very excited to offer Element to the consumer market because it offers some real advantages over traditional extinguishers and will encourage many more people to carry an extinguisher who otherwise would not have bothered.

As an aside this past weekend we were at a hot rod show and a customer of ours came to us almost in tears to tell us that his Element saved his car last month. He had some side draft carburettors and one of them had a float needle stick which spit fire out of the throat and caught (of all things) the brake master on fire. Acting quickly he stopped, fired up his Element, and put the fire out with minimal collateral damage. Without it his car (which happened to be a family heirloom) was for sure a goner. As a car guy that was pretty awesome to hear.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Karl, your PM inbox is full.
Johan
Old 08-01-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Karl, your PM inbox is full.
Johan
My bad. Is corrected Johan

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Fire View Post
We are actually in discussions with the PCA right now to figure this out. Our certifications are European based and the North American ratings (like 10BC for instance) are not a straight conversion (think metric vs imperial bolt sizes). Once this gets sorted the approvals would be published by the PCA.
Any progress in regards to certification and approvals?

911E Coupe -70

Carrera 3,2 -84 Sold
Old 05-18-2019, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Some additional info related to similar devices: https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=viewProduct&reference=0632/06&lng=en

911E Coupe -70

Carrera 3,2 -84 Sold
Old 05-18-2019, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
interesting.......

ivan

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that, genius has its limits". Albert Einstein.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
This is what I use

Flojo, could you tell me which model BlazeCut this is?

The BlazeCut website shows four models, TV100FA, TV200FA, TV300FA, TV400FA. I gather that the higher the number the longer the tube and, hence, volume of extinguishing chemical. What the website sorely lacks is a chart or technical section indicating sizes and recommendations for specific applications.

This looks like a great product and you can purchase it directly on the U.S website. You'd think that if they're willing to sell you one, they might be a bit more helpful in the selection.

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: