Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
I have no doubt you are right. How does it work?
Thanks,
Dave
Air always run through the exchangers to heater boxes and the cable from the cabin moves a set of vanes that either sends the hot air up to the cabin or sends it out into the airstream under the car.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 02-09-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

That sounds right. I remember the valve to the cabin, but forgot the valve that opens beneath the engine.
Thanks.
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Hilbilly Deluxe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Air always run through the exchangers to heater boxes and the cable from the cabin moves a set of vanes that either sends the hot air up to the cabin or sends it out into the airstream under the car.
This.

Take a look at the tech article on flapper boxes, it show where they are.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/tom_sharpes/heater_box1.htm

One thing to be aware of, without the blower, the airflow through the heater is dependent on the speed of the engine fan, and therefore engine RPM. If you are sitting at a red light at idle, there isn't much heat.
GTI Cup #43
Old 02-09-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
That’s why we have a gas pedal and lower gears while driving! I never had any complaints with the early style heat exchangers in my 911s or 914-6s. Perhaps defrosting is a bit slower, but once you understand how the system functions, it’s completely logical.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 02-09-2018, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
The flapper valve closes off air going into the car, and at the same time opens below the car so that the hot air from the exhaust manifold is vented there.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
I have no doubt you are right. How does it work?
Thanks,
Dave
Essentially, when the valves are closed to the cabin, they are open to the ground and vice verse. So you always get air flow over the exhaust.

Edit. Oops, already answered several times above!

Last edited by Jonny H; 02-09-2018 at 01:35 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Hilbilly Deluxe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
That’s why we have a gas pedal and lower gears while driving!
Moving isn't a problem, that is why you open the sunroof. Airflow makes it a low pressure area and pulls the heated air in through the heater pipes.

Sitting still for any length of time, you really need to increase the engine RPM to get any significant airflow through the heater.

Never really bothered me, but it doesn't change the fact it happens.
GTI Cup #43
Old 02-09-2018, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I have a targa not a sunroof car, but are you sure you even need to open the sunroof to get air pressure differential? The vents above the rear window (or on the roll bar in a targa) do that by design.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage

This should motivate you.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RocketWrench
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911SC SKI View Post
Type911.co.uk can provide the parts needed for the heater back date. Ditch the blower.
Found 'em! Thanks...
Old 02-10-2018, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Tidying up........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketWrench View Post
Here is my engine as it is right now:

"Scoundrel", not Outlaw...

Its out and I am rebuilding it and the car is in the paint shop having the engine bay resprayed in the outside colour.

As you can see, its quite cluttered in there, so am looking for real-world advice on how to de-clutter the engine without harming performance.

I have seen people cutting down their airboxes, drilling holes in or replacing them with cone filters. How much of a bad/good idea is this?

Secondly, there is too much pipework criss-crossing the engine: How do I get rid of that, or re-route it in a way that I don't have miles of piping everywhere?

Finally, how do I tidy the wiring up so that it looks more ordered?

I have my own ideas, but having worked in isolation on this car for years now, not all of my ideas are good.
Here is a picture of my SC engine compartment after an engine rebuild from 3.0 liter to 3.3SS, heater blower backdate, CIS backdated to 1973 1/2 status and the addition of Electromotive XDi crank fire ignition. Notice all the space where the distributor used to live! The coils are mounted on a shelf between the firewall and the engine. The CSI backdate got rid of lots of bits and pipes! The engine is running in this picture.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al lkosmal View Post
send your engine to me....i'll provide some serious de-clutterage.

regards,
al
OH MY GAWD that is a thing of beauty.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: