LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RocketWrench
Engine decluttering

Here is my engine as it is right now:

"Scoundrel", not Outlaw...

Its out and I am rebuilding it and the car is in the paint shop having the engine bay resprayed in the outside colour.

As you can see, its quite cluttered in there, so am looking for real-world advice on how to de-clutter the engine without harming performance.

I have seen people cutting down their airboxes, drilling holes in or replacing them with cone filters. How much of a bad/good idea is this?

Secondly, there is too much pipework criss-crossing the engine: How do I get rid of that, or re-route it in a way that I don't have miles of piping everywhere?

Finally, how do I tidy the wiring up so that it looks more ordered?

I have my own ideas, but having worked in isolation on this car for years now, not all of my ideas are good.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Search for heater backdate, that gets rid of the hoses to and from the blower and the blower- you hook them right to the side of the fan with a couple of different pieces of tin. Very easy and not too expensive.

If you want the ultimate in clean good looking engine bay, ITB/EFI is the way to go; very slimming for you too as your wallet will get extremely flat afterwards!

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Here’s a good one on the heat backdate

Backdated Heat Tech Article

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No AC and heat backdate on my SC with CIS. I can get to everything (except items behind airbox quite easily.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool87 View Post
No AC and heat backdate on my SC with CIS. I can get to everything (except items behind airbox quite easily.
I think I need the tinware first. My engine is out right now and I'm rebuilding it, and the A/C was removed a couple of years ago.

Do you know where I can get the tinware and will ship to the UK?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketWrench View Post
I think I need the tinware first. My engine is out right now and I'm rebuilding it, and the A/C was removed a couple of years ago.

Do you know where I can get the tinware and will ship to the UK?
I assume you’re speaking of the air ducts coming off the fan shroud. Bought mine on Pelican. My car is an ‘82SC.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post

Thanks a lot for the link. It's very useful!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Here my before and after. I got rid of the clutter.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

de-clutterage

send your engine to me....i'll provide some serious de-clutterage.

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669,
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 02-08-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
In the medium term I'm planning to remove the heat exchangers and do without heating. In order to declutter now I'm thinking of removing the blower and routing the air from behind the turbine to the left heat exchanger and put a plug on the input to the right heat exchanger. Is it a bad idea? There will be no flow at all on the right heat exchanger.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I did a basic backdate with simple tools and $100 in parts. If you buy a custom plate for the driver's side, it will cost more but you'll eliminate the hose twirl.

A Cheap SC Heater Backdate
Old 02-08-2018, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP0ZZZ View Post
In the medium term I'm planning to remove the heat exchangers and do without heating. In order to declutter now I'm thinking of removing the blower and routing the air from behind the turbine to the left heat exchanger and put a plug on the input to the right heat exchanger. Is it a bad idea? There will be no flow at all on the right heat exchanger.
You need to keep the air flow if you have heat exchangers. Engine builders I've spoken to think there is a risk of overheating the valve guides otherwise.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
You need to keep the air flow if you have heat exchangers. Engine builders I've spoken to think there is a risk of overheating the valve guides otherwise.
Thanks for your input. This is exactly what worries me.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
When the heater valves are closed, there shouldn't be any air flow through the heat exchangers, otherwise heat would come into the cabin even in hot weather? (Unless the heater valve is actually a diverter) This suggests airflow through exchangers is not needed except to channel heat into cabin.
I could be wrong.
Good luck,
Dave
2001 996TT

Last edited by DaveMcKenz; 02-08-2018 at 03:01 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Heater valves are diverters. It vents the heat under the car.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Now this is a de cluttered engine beeoches

Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 02-08-2018, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Type911.co.uk can provide the parts needed for the heater back date. Ditch the blower.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
When the heater valves are closed, there shouldn't be any air flow through the heat exchangers, otherwise heat would come into the cabin even in hot weather? (Unless the heater valve is actually a diverter) This suggests airflow through exchangers is not needed except to channel heat into cabin.
I could be wrong.
Good luck,
Dave
That's not how it works.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchristopher View Post
That's not how it works.
I have no doubt you are right. How does it work?
Thanks,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 02-09-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: