Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Some more problems

Well here we go again. The problem is when I make a right turn the engine doesn't seem to have any power and the car gives off a slight backfire and it jerks A LOT and I just want to put my head between my legs and pull off the road. On left turns it doesn't happen as much but it does. Pulling away from a stop it jerks and backfires but it also does not jerk or backfire sometimes. So is this a "CHECK YOUR GROUNDS" situation and if it is which grounds should I check. Or is this some other problem.
03' Mini Cooper S
03' Volkswagen Passat GLX B5.5 4-Motion

Benjamin Miles Keaton (ben, lj) - RIP June 2nd, 2005

Last edited by Dbelleperc; 04-14-2003 at 01:50 PM..
Old 04-14-2003, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds more like a timing issue, but with 914's, always check and clean all your grounds. I doubt if turning right or left is causing the problem.

Tranny ground strap
Grounds to body behind battery and relay board
Grounds in headlight buckets

Are you running D-Jet or carbs? Could make a difference there. Hopefully some of the guys running carbs can shed some light. (If you have them.)

When was your last good tune-up?

When did you change your fuel filter last?
Just a few places to start.
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Wiggle all the wires in the engine bay with the engine idling. Carefully check any that make a difference--they may be breaking or mot plugged in well.

Grounds for the 914 engine are at the rear of the crankcase seam, up on top of the motor. There is another ground point under the relay board, down low on the firewall.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-15-2003, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
That's right, thanks Dave, the FI ground connectins are clustered under the intake runner for the #3 cylinder. Look for a triple spade connector with nothing but white wires going to it.
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 04-15-2003, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am running D-Jet and I have checked the grounds at the #3 cylinder but I will check all the other grounds tonight. I'll get back on the progress. Thanks for the help. And yes turning right or left does make a difference because everything will be normal and on a slight right turn the car will start to lose power and bog down. And I had my fuel filter changed about 1000 miles ago.
03' Mini Cooper S
03' Volkswagen Passat GLX B5.5 4-Motion

Benjamin Miles Keaton (ben, lj) - RIP June 2nd, 2005

Last edited by Dbelleperc; 04-15-2003 at 05:33 PM..
Old 04-15-2003, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Check the wiring around the steering wheel column.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: