Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

Poll: Why do you own a 914?
Poll Options
Why do you own a 914?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
why do you own a 914

Poll to answer why?

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 08-02-2002, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You need to add to the list:

My family has been a member of the Porsche family for decades! Porsche - Nothing even comes close!

Christopher A. Landt
75 914 1.8 FI

Proud past National PCA Family "Member" of the year. - That was the year after the Reno Parade in the mid 80's where my Parents and brother and sister and I all went on a 3 week treck across the USA in a 79 911SC Targa. Yes, 5 of us in a 911 for Thousands of Butt Numbing miles. We were also doing this Spelling Bee rally where you had to find cities that the first letter was a letter in a phrase. So it was not just direct routes. We swerved all over the western United states From New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Texas. Actually it was great fun!

I have Owned:
86 951
72 914 1.7

Family owns:
96 911 Turbo
89 C4
79 SC Targa
84 944
72 911T
Old 08-02-2002, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
How about, "Because I am completely 100% crazy!"

That'd be mine, yup yup yup...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-02-2002, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Uhhh - I can be pretty arrogant (me? Nooooooo!) and it is one of the few things that truely Humbles me....

James

And what Dave said!

Aaaahahahahahahah.......
Old 08-02-2002, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

1973, looking for something to replace my 69 Triumph GT6+. Drove a 73 2 liter, loved it but it was expensive and the closest dealer was about 30 miles away (suburban Philadelphia PA). Bought a 73 Lincon-Mercury Capri (Crappy) 6 cylinder instead. 1994, looking to replace my toy car (1950 Studebaker Champion) with something more fun, found a 74 2 liter only 4 miles away.
Harvey
Old 08-02-2002, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Why Indeed?

To chew on early 911's butts at the track. (Can't do anything about 3.2-3.6s)
Old 08-02-2002, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Stay away from my Member

Re: Why Indeed?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke914
To chew on early 911's butts at the track. (Can't do anything about 3.2-3.6s)
Well, technically you can...

My Ride(s) Pics of

The biggest, baddest 911 variants will be very tough to compete with though. Then again those guys are spending like $125-200K. On their weekend toy cars no less. I'll give 'em the win and keep the change, thanks.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-02-2002, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Eerrr....it followed me home?
Old 08-02-2002, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I found out very early in life (age 16 in 86) that I could lift throttle steer a 914 when entering clover leaf for the freeway. Figuring this would pay off in AutoX and road racing... I stuck with it.

Now.. after driving a Boxster and finding out I can do the same thing......

Chris, we have some of the baddest 911 Turbos in NorCal that seem to win everything. the plan is to have a 3.8 engine for the tube car and a legal 3.0 for SCCA.

It would be nice to have a 914 at the top again against some of these winged monsters.

Come on Sponsors...help me out...LOL

B
Old 08-02-2002, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I selected "I have always wanted a Porsche" because it was the closest answer on the poll. The fact is that I had always wanted a 914. When they first appeared I fell in love with the body design and of course the thought of something unusual like the mid-engine design. But alas I had not the money for such a dream car back then. A few years ago it was a different story when I spotted one on a friend's car lot... he had agreed to park it on his lot for a friend and the sale was direct from that owner.

I've since learned that looks aren't everything but the repairs to a near-30 year old car keep me busy.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I sold an 82 Collector Edition Corvette and got rid of the stress of hopping no one would run into it! YEA!!! It was run into once by a 500 lb. 4 wheel peddal powered vehicle and caused $2500 damage. After that I figured it wasn't safe to park it anywhere other than the garage so... I got rid of the thing that caused anxiety and found my wonderful fun 914. (Never to go back to the "C" car) and the best thing about the 914 is that I don't worry about it then there's the ability to work on it myself (another YEA)!!!
bruce in Boring, ORYGUN
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 08-03-2002, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

How 'bout -

1. I meet the most "interesting" people (daffynition varies).

2. I'm stoopid (but not that stoopid; I could have bought a Bugeye Sprite).

3. I have no life

4. I like spending money

5. I can't afford the "fine wine and cheese" 911

6. I'm studying rust for my doctoral thesis

7. And finally, my choice - "a unique design - never equaled" for a production car.

#7 will get the Ricers and Italians started -

If I put "Porsche" on the LS1 valve covers, will it qualify?

For HarveyH - I loved my "Fast & Furious Crappies" (2000 & 2600) except for the occasional rear quarter windows that fell out.

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 08-04-2002, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ron, Never had the windows fall out, but the front end got light at 85, and every 10 - 15k miles you had to replace the bushings to stop the shimmy.
Harvey
Old 08-04-2002, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Harvey:

By the pic, you have the later model with the pinned (thru glass) quarter window locks.

The earlier models ('71) had the "glued" window locks. The glue would cease to hold, leaving the quarter window flapping like a broken speed brake until it fell out. Ford Motor's reply "purchase and fit later model quarter windows".

My front end never floated , so I lowered it and ran a front spoiler. The vibration reminded me that I was gonna get a speeding ticket .

Now, back to 914s.....,

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 08-04-2002, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Because I drove one of the bloody things when my father's friend was selling his father-in-law's old racing 914. Then I happened across a white 1976 in NH while on a trip and when I called two months later and it hadn't been sold yet I was able to take the hint. Plus I figured that since I didn't have a girlfriend at the time I ought to have _something_ on which to waste my money. (Although now I have the car _and_ a girl wasting my money because I can't get rid of a car that she thinks is cute.) Mainly it's the first reason though.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 08-04-2002, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Uh, cuz I can?

I have had a 78 928 for 12 years (cool in it's own right) BUt always wanted a 914 since way back in like 1970 or something.
Just last night I took the little blue teener to a local hot rod gathering. I was late so most everybody was already there. As my son and I rolled into the lot to find a parking stall. All eyes were on us with "oh man look at that" "Yea I always wanted one of them" to "COOL"
We had quite a gathering by the time I shut it down and climbed out.
ANYONE and everyone knows Porsche!!!!

Other cars present Original shelby GT350, 70 Cuda 383, Several road runners, Two Replica Cobras, Mustangs/Camaros abound, a guy with a C5 vette all by himself one 1974 Alaska Blue metallic 2.0L 914.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Howzabout it was a great deal? owning a porsche for a first car is a great conversation piece !!!!
Old 08-04-2002, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
What can I say; I'm a glutton for punishment.

Something about the Old Lady hittin' the high notes whenever she spots me crawling in/out/under my car makes me all ... what ... tinglely?

Old 08-05-2002, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

To pick up middle aged women at the supermarket
by having them approach you "Oh, I was just admiring your car. I use to have a 197* 914 "
Old 08-05-2002, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

14 year old kid, sees movie LeMans, becomes enfatuated with the Porsche psycie. Meets owner of 914 when 15 (who has become a lifelong freind), decides that a 914 is THE PORSCHE TO OWN. Sets goal to own a 914 before he is 21, buys 71 914-4 when 19 years old.

Drove said car for 3 years, repainted/reassembled it. Less than 150 miles later, 16 year old girl driving dads new (as in window sticker still on glass) buick stationwagon... Car totaled , buy new 1982 Mustang GT (hated it), sell mustang 10,000 miles later and replace with '70 914-4. Drove that thru college.

Also, got my father bit by the 914 bug also. He's a BIG BOY! 6'3" and every bit of 425 pounds at the time. He found out that he would fit with clearance between his stomach and the steering wheel. Began search for 914 for dad. Contacted lifelong 914 freind in Kansas City and began a search for the "perfect" 914 for dad. Ended up settling for a very low mileage '72. He drove the car untill he was 72 and began having difficulties getting in and out of the car.

I guess I have been without a 914 myself for a total of 2 of the past 25 years.

My current one, a '71 914-4, I have had for 14-15 years. Probbably should have condemned it when I first got it because of rust. But, I taught myself how to weld, put a chasis stiffening kit in it, reinforced the trailing arms, put a side shifter in, put a 2.0, M struts, painted it myself 3 times (2nd one right after the first (learning) and again 8 years later.

I have a small horde of them stashed at a friends farm in Nebraska. Anytime I could buy one for $300, I would. Some are restorable, but most have death rot. Never can have enought spare parts

Guess I'm addicted

'70 914-6 2.2 MFI #269
'71 914-4 2.0
'85 911 Carrera
Old 08-05-2002, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: