Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Electrical problems too! Please help

Here is the situation: I was getting ready to pull out of my parking spot at work when alternator light came on, then all my guages died (alternator, tach, fuel, oil pres, oil temp, and volt) and my turn signals, brake lights and reverse lights dont work. I can start the car and it runs fine. I drove it home about 16 miles. No noticable drain on the battery. Also checked the voltage output from the alternator and its 12.5v.

There are no blown fuses.
The stereo, powered from #9 fuse works fine also.

I've checked/cleaned the ground next to the fuse panel, swapped out the Volt-Reg with a working one, checked the grounds at the rear, and also the reverse light connector on tranny. All checkout OK.

The only noticable change recently is that my left turn signal switch doesn't return when the wheel comes around to straight, I have to manually return the switch to the off position.

Does anyone have any ideas!!!!!?????

TIA,

Last edited by 3D914; 08-15-2002 at 09:09 PM..
Old 08-15-2002, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

One thing Id check is the secondary power connections on the positive side of the battery, I think I have 4 in addition to the beefy cable going to the starter. Its possible one or more of those connections may be bad. The fact that you can start and run the car indicates clearly they are not all bad.

I would guess the left turn signal problem is just an unfortunate coincidence.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check fuse #8 as well as #9. I forget which of those powers the circuits mentioned, but one of them does. Check very carefully--the fuse can look OK on first inspection but still be blown.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-16-2002, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Dave,

Good call! You get the 914 Yoda of the week award!!

I went out to the parking lot, pulled the #9 (4th from right) fuse again, and the little metal cone at the bottom broke off from the fuse strip. This explains why the gauges would occasionally come up while driving.

It doesn't apear to be a blown fuse, as it appears to be a clean break where the strip bends to form the cone at the bottom. I just happened to have a loose spare in the golve box. Time to buy some more 16amp fuses.

Thanks again,
Old 08-16-2002, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: