Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

installing c2 i/c on 930 q's

I have some questions on putting a c2 i/c on my 930. I am confused about the whole bov thing. Do I have to get the c2 style 90 elbow with bov? Can I use the stock elbow and put a bov in the aluminum tube after the 90? Unsure what is exactly needed to mount this..
50k:Lindren Green:B&B Dual Out Pipes:K27:965 I/C: --SOLD!!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurbahn View Post
I have some questions on putting a c2 i/c on my 930. I am confused about the whole bov thing. Do I have to get the c2 style 90 elbow with bov? Can I use the stock elbow and put a bov in the aluminum tube after the 90? Unsure what is exactly needed to mount this..
Hi,
The BOV needs to be somewhere between the IC output and the Throttle body. The Vacuum/Boost control line for the BOV needs to come from just below the throttle plate. Here's where I put mine, it is in the front tank of the IC.

http://www.lesgarten.com/pix/porsche/AAA_1147.JPG
http://www.lesgarten.com/pix/porsche/AAA_1151.JPG

That's a VERY large TIAL 50mm. It makes a hell of WHOOSH when it blows.

Hope this helps.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
There is nothing set in stone...anything can be done. However, rather than re-invent the wheel as it were, I'd just spend the $45 for the C2 elbow and locate the compressor by-pass where the 965 had it. Keep in mind, there is already a port for the compressor by-pass valve on the front of the C2 intercooler (front as in reaching toward the front of the car), and this port makes for a very short run to the elbow. It makes for a clean install...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Also keep in mind that you should NOT vent to atmosphere with a CIS based engine.

EFI is a different animal...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-09-2008, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Not that you need to spend anymore money on this addiction, but I'd think about going with one of the more stout, billet type compressor by-pass valves (CBV, diverter valve, dump valve, BOV, hooter valve, whatever you wish to call it). The 965 factory original plastic Bosch valve will work fine, but after some miles, is prone to wear and failure. I'm running a stealthy looking Hyperboost valve that looks just like the factory part, only it's anodized black billet aluminum. Forge makes a nice one too.

http://www.stratmosphere.com/hyperboost.htm
http://www.stratmosphere.com/forge_valves2.htm

Last edited by sand_man; 01-09-2008 at 04:59 AM..
Old 01-09-2008, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

sand_man, thanks for the info your other post made me drool enough to buy one of these guys. I just wasn't sure if I needed to use two divirter valve or one. It looks like one from the installs I have seen, but didn't the 964t use two stock?

les, that is sweet
Old 01-09-2008, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

964t used only one Bosch plastiv BOV of recirculating type. It works OK.

Open air BOV cannot be used on EFI either as long as EFI is using AMM.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
sand_man, thanks for the info your other post made me drool enough to buy one of these guys. I just wasn't sure if I needed to use two divirter valve or one. It looks like one from the installs I have seen, but didn't the 964t use two stock?

les, that is sweet
Not that I'm aware. Keep in mind that your C2 intercooler is a long neck, so you'll be doing away with that large 930 diverter valve housing that fits between the throttle body and the stock intercooler. And instead replacing it with the small CBV that fits on the CIS elbow. I suppose it's possible that the other valve you might have seen in the 965 engine compartment was related to smog equipment.

Let me know if you need any pictures and I'll snap them.

And I agree, Les, that is SWEET!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
964t used only one Bosch plastiv BOV of recirculating type. It works OK.

Open air BOV cannot be used on EFI either as long as EFI is using AMM.
Mine opens to atmosphere. What is AMM?

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yea I was hoping to vent to atmosphere...I like the sound. Why can't you with these?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Yea I was hoping to vent to atmosphere...I like the sound. Why can't you with these?
It causes the CIS flapper plate (in the metering housing) to behave erratically.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
AMM = Air Mass Meter.

With CIS that flapper plate is basically a AMM
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

ok makes sense now. thanks for replies
Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
It causes the CIS flapper plate (in the metering housing) to behave erratically.
Not quite, but it causes CIS to inject fuel that was previously metered up and then dumped overboard, causing an overrich condition.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Not quite, but it causes CIS to inject fuel that was previously metered up and then dumped overboard, causing an overrich condition.
And how does it do this? It's my understanding that it occurs via the flapper fluctuating. And FWIW, I've heard the inverse of what you just described...the flapper slamming shut and causing a lean condition. That's why I chose to say "erratic"...

Last edited by sand_man; 01-09-2008 at 03:34 PM..
Old 01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

BTW Goran, it's hard to tell from this whole internet thing, but I didn't mean my tone to have a defensive flair. I realize you know these fuel systems VERY well...in addition to turbo charging as a whole, and I respect your knowledge. And I do understand what you are describing. I'm merely pointing out what one of the more experienced shops in my neck of the woods explained when I was describing my plans to change intercoolers and run a different by-pass valve. Your explanation could very well be right one...

Cheers!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
BTW Goran, it's hard to tell from this whole internet thing, but I didn't mean my tone to have a defensive flair. I realize you know these fuel systems VERY well...in addition to turbo charging as a whole, and I respect your knowledge. And I do understand what you are describing. I'm merely pointing out what one of the more experienced shops in my neck of the woods explained when I was describing my plans to change intercoolers and run a different by-pass valve. Your explanation could very well be right one...

Cheers!
Go Ahead, I'm curious about this also. I have a 3.2 Manifold and have my BOV like I previously indicated in pictures in the above postings. Is there a problem with my BOV?
Les
Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

does anyone know the part # for the elbow with bung for divirtor? I am trying to find it on ******** but not having any luck
Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
does anyone know the part # for the elbow with bung for divirtor? I am trying to find it on ******** but not having any luck
I bought mine, here:
http://www.eagleday.com/rawagaexpi.html
Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

thanks got it
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: