Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified User

Garage
Piston squirters problem

Can someone describe what the actual squirter looks like below the surface?
My problem is that all six of my squirters seem to be blocked by something metallic about 15mm behind the nozzle and I can only get partial airflow through one of the six squirters at about 60psi. I discovered this during a final check and clean just before I started reassembly today.

I was under the impression they were just a plain jet (like an old carbie jet - remember them!).
Various books, including Wayne's, describe cleaning out the squirters and I quote Wayne ... "the supply holes for the piston squirters can be reached with a flexible plastic extension on your can of cleaner. Simply blow the cleaner through the access holes, and it should spray out of the squirters."
This also kinda made me think that the squirters are like a straight through jet.

Its about ten years since I was last inside a 911 engine (3.2) and I can vaguely remember blowing air through the squirters on that engine without any problem.
This engine is a 1986 930/68 type. Are the squirters different?

The centre part of the squirter can actually be pushed in about 2mm. It feels like it has a spring behind it which pushes it back out. I can visualize there being a spring and a small ball behind the nozzle and this could be what I can feel with a piece of wire through the squirter hole.
I guess the question is - could my balls be rusted up 'coz I haven't used them in ages. Concentrate.

Perhaps I should explain further. I have had this engine in pieces for about six months and when I stripped it, I got it hot-washed by the local Toyota garage (my son is a mechanic there). When I got it home, I attacked it with my pressure cleaner and then it got a thorough blow through with compressed air.

IF the squirters contain little springs and balls, I can imagine that if the cleaning water wasn't fully blown through, they may have rusted up solid, but its a bit hard to be sure without knowing what is actually inside them.

Regardless, I guess I'm up for some new ones because the only way to be sure is to replace them.
I guess this leads nicely into the next issue ... how to get them out?
I presume I can just drill them out, but does anyone know the correct drill size?
Bill
Old 09-12-2008, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

There are baffles in there, kind of like two soup cans, one smaller than the other, open ends inserted into each other.

If they are still blocked as a last resort before drilling them out, insert a small wire with a "L" or hook bent at the end and rotate it around while soaking them with INOX, Berry's, or other lube/penetrant.

Be sure you are following the instructions regarding blocking the passages and using compressed air (and care!)
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

You want this thread, plus twirling some wire around inside them gently.

Piston Squirters!
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjam View Post
...I guess the question is - could my balls be rusted up 'coz I haven't used them in ages...
ahhh....this is a Porsche board....for Dr. Ruth you'll have to go a different site.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJL View Post
You want this thread, plus twirling some wire around inside them gently.

Piston Squirters!
Thanks John. Very useful thread.
I'd love to see what's actually inside one of these little fkrs.

I have done an overnight soak in WD40 and will get something a bit more agressive today if that hasn't worked.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I am also interested to see the inner workings of the squirter mwchanism. Anyone have one disassembled (maybe a replacement) where it is handy for photos?

Thanks

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Update ...
After a night's soaking in WD-40 and then some Naval Jelly (that's with an "a") and then some prodding with bits of wire from both sides, the little stuck bits in the squirters unstuck themselves.
After copious flushing with various cleaners and petrol (some call it gas!), they are now all working fine.
Fleiger and I would still love to see what's inside one of these squirters if anyone is in a position to post a photo.
Bill
Old 09-13-2008, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: