Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
After the next project

Garage
JFairman

JFairman, I have the digital afr gage up front. Because of this. I have an audio type (not the same) patch cable that only allows me to keep the most direct path to the center console where the gage is mounted due to the limited length.

I can look for that rubber plug to see if that would be a good entry point for the other wires. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Based on your description, it would be behind the fuel pump up towards the shock tower... somewhere in that area where I can introduce the wires to the cabin.

Going through the tunnel is such a pain in the a$$ as I'm sure you know.. especially when the motor is in the car.

RSRmike, I read your post, and I'm not sure what relay you are referring to. I know what your talking about (the round red or black ones) but not sure how I could tie in without it looking horrible.

I think at this point I am running to the cabin to be safe and offer the best location.

Bryan
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

The hole I found with the rubber grommet/plug was right at the level of the floor pan on the vertical section of sheet metal in front of the rear seat cushion area so the wires were sitting right on the very left rear corner of the floor pan. I cut a slit in the rubber plug and fed the wires through it.
I have a hard time describing the location and I should just go out there and remove my subwoofer, pull back the carpet and take a picture of it to clearly describe it.. but it's dark out now.

I don't know what to call that section of the cars sheet metal where this hole is. It's in the left rear bottom corner at floor pan level in the vertical section of sheet metal that goes between the seat cushion and the floor pan.
I was happy to find that hole because it was in the perfect location for my install.

It's possible that it doesn't exist in all years of the car either so you could just drill a hole and put a grommet there for the wires to go through.

No way would I would want to feed the wires through the center tunnel with all the other stuff in there, and difficult access for running wires....
Old 11-20-2008, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I use that same plug. It's near the fuel pump below the left side passenger seat. You may want to find from the inside first. Look below the left side passenger seat, behind the vertical piece of carpet.

From there you cab run the wire along the rocker to the front. I frilled a small hole in the firewall above the footwell to feed the wires to the trunk.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-20-2008 at 03:12 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I was referring to a standard square "bosch" relay w/ mounting tab, like you typically find in universal applications for $5-10

I was trying to give you an easy way to power the LC1 w/ only the fuel pumps running w/o overloading any other circuits or getting into "noise" issues.

You could mount the relay to the vertical portion of the board w/ small sheet metal screw between your CD unit and the other two silver relays.

Run a wire from the big starter terminal (battery cable) through the bottom fuse in 3 position block, then connect to "30" on relay.

Connect 86 on relay to the WUR/AAV power wire at 14 pin plug on fuse/relay board, preferably soldered to the pin or wire under the cover for 14 pin connector which pops off.

Ground 85

Connect 87 to LC1 power input and you suddenly have a safe, isolated, fused, power supply that assures your O2 sensor heater will only power up w/ engine running. Provided your air flow sensor plate contact(blue plug) is plugged in.

You can either buy the relay w/ harness or just use standard female spade connectors found on the shelf at the same friendly local auto parts store that sells the relay by itself.

Then you can simply run the audio cable into the cabin for the gauge.

That is how I would do it, but that's just me. And I came to the party a litte late so sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Have fun, good luck
Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Thanks Thanks Thanks

Guys thanks for all the great input. I will look for that plug.

Mike, I am not sure, but would the line from the starter be carrying a lot of noise in it... even though the starter is not running?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I don't think so, it's basically hooking it up to the battery, just at the other end. The only noise would come from the Alternator, and I believe there are components in modern alternators to eliminate such.

I've powered plenty of electromotive ignition units there that have been running strong for 10 years now...
Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
After the next project

Garage
Updates

Guys, thanks for all the help on this. I tried to add to this post earlier the website froze when I tried to add the message. Anyways, I wanted to give you some updates on what I ended up doing.

I ran the wires through the grommet in the back by the heel kick underneath the back passenger seat on the drivers side. It was right below the fuel pump and behind where the swing arm bolts up to the frame by the cylindrical tubes. I know, now how hard it is to describe the location.

Innovate recommends that the grounds for the gage and the computer are grounded together so it was probably better that I did it this way. I also tied in the power for the gage and computer at the same 12v switched power source under the dash.

Everything is up in running good and I was able to hide the Innovate box behind the cover where the fuse panel is in the engine bay so you wouldn't even know its there.

Thanks again to all who helped. I am sure I can take pictures if someone needs them but pretty easy once I was blessed with this boards wisdom!!

Happy Turkey-Day

Bryan
Old 11-22-2008, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: