Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
"I wuz the liquor..."

A few pics of what I was replacing. I'll be starting the engine tomorrow:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-09-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Those pressure plates are nasty- they must weigh half as much as the origonal-
I need one for my car...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Those pressure plates are nasty- they must weigh half as much as the origonal-
I need one for my car...
I'm told the OEM Sachs pressure plate is about 21 pounds. This KEP Stage One is 13 pounds! You can go even lighter if you use the OEM Sachs 3.0L Turbo "short bellhousing" pressure plate, which weighs approximately 11 pounds. But for that you need some adapter parts for the starter ring gear and the T/O bearing and I'm sure those parts add some weight back...so I figured in the end it would be close enough to just use the KEP.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Jeff

Is that a stage one or two KEP? When I bought mine, the price was the same, so I figured why not go with a stage two...
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

It's a Stage One. It's rated to hold 600HP with the stock disc.

The reason I stayed with Stage One is that the pedal pressue changes (harder) with Stage Two. I was afraid this might stress the other clutch related mechanisms.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Well after cranking it a few times without fuel or spark to build some oil pressure, she fired right up.

Despite my many setbacks, I'm very pleased with the outcome. The engine is definitely peppier and accelerates more crisply (is that a word?). If for nothing else, I just love the idea of losing 7 more pounds! I also took this opportunity to make a few adjustments to my Wevo shift coupling, and the shifting has further improved. Before, I was getting some loud vibration through the shift rod in the tunnel and it was driving me kuku. I thought perhaps my Wevo engine mounts were to blame, but I've got it dialed in now.

In addition, I swapped out my 18" SSRs for my original Fuchs - now fitted with a brand new set of El Cheapo Summitomos. The car feels extrrememly light and razor sharp! I can't wait for my suspension project!!!! That'll be a fun thread
Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Congratulations Jeff! Must feel great after all you've been through.

I installed that same stage 1 KEP clutch a couple months ago and also love it. Great feel, and the lighter weight helps spool up.

So when am I going to see "my" SSR's, huh?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Glenn, you must know that I've been hiding under my desk, waiting for you to ask me about those! All apologies for having been a douch about them. I have a love/hate relationship with the SSRs. When they are not on my car, I want to get rid of them, and when I run them, I get so many compliments, I want to keep them! I sound like a fickle school girl!

I was all set to pull the trigger on the Jeff Alton Fuchs, but with the economy what it is, and with them being released around Christmas, and me already with a set of 16" Fuchs and a set of 18" SSRs, I have to do the right thing and pass, for now. If Jeff only could have released them several months ago, I would have had a set, already.

I guess this is my round about way of saying I'm not sure what the future holds for the SSRs. Right now, they are off, and I'm enjoying the uber light weight of the 16s, shod with new rubber. Time will tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
Congratulations Jeff! Must feel great after all you've been through.

I installed that same stage 1 KEP clutch a couple months ago and also love it. Great feel, and the lighter weight helps spool up.

So when am I going to see "my" SSR's, huh?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Jeff, I seriously hope you haven't been sweating this at all. Completely understand and no worries!

I go back and forth on my Speedlines as well, after seeing my track CCW's on the car. As you say, time will tell.

Somedays I wish I didn't have the upgraded brakes to take advantage of some smaller wheels as well. Can't have it all I guess. Just enjoy the light weight and grippiness of your new shoes!

Oh, I was also eyeing up Jeff's sweet wheels. I love them, but don't think they'd go as well with a 965 body kit, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Matybe mine was out if adjustent, but my state two was slipping with the stock disk (and I know I'm not making that much HP). Swapped it out for a KEP disk. So far so good...

Quote:
It's a Stage One. It's rated to hold 600HP with the stock disc.

The reason I stayed with Stage One is that the pedal pressue changes (harder) with Stage Two. I was afraid this might stress the other clutch related mechanisms.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
New fail!!!

Sand_man I got new FAIL to contribute...
Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Laughing

Still laughing from Full Quacks story... with you not at you. The best part... "200 miles from nowhere"..
Old 12-13-2008, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Jon,
How in the world did you break off that huge intake stud? After thread chasing mine, I put the studs in full-depth and just finger tight. I never found a torque spec for those stud nuts but thinking that the injector housings are plastic, I used 7.5 ft/lbs.

Mark
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Jon,
How in the world did you break off that huge intake stud? (snip)
I broke one of these puppies when I took them out (fortunately with enough to easily extract). Mine were very, very tight, as in "interference", not able to hand-thread. Apparently not tight enough that I learned my lesson though huh?
I just finished extracting. The EasyOut was a no-go. When the EasyOut starts to flex it's time to try a differ'nt tool! I just drilled it bigger until there was no stud, just the pesky threads. I then was able to pick and twist the threads out. (Fggn Wrench-Gods were smiling on me tonight!!!)
I'm not thrilled with my work as I know I cut some of the aluminum threads. I will have to decide whether it's ok with mildly compromised threads, or drill and helicoil it.

Last edited by AFM744; 12-13-2008 at 07:57 PM..
Old 12-13-2008, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Jon,
My intake studs were tight as well. I was thinking to myself, "What were they thinking when they ran these studs into the heads?" creak, creak, creak...

I did the same as you did on one of my exhaust studs that broke off flush after heating it cherry red and liberal spraying of PB Blaster on and off for three days. Drilled it progressively bigger until only the threads were left. You really have to be accurate when you hit the center punch for that to end up on a good note. Sometimes you can steer the drill, but the Porsche studs are semi-hard and it is a bear to change directions once you start. (No worries now with the ARP exhaust flange studs!)
I would think that if you run a tap into the hole to clean up the threads and use some Loc-Tite, you should be good to go. I cleaned the mating surfaces just like you did and used the Porsche gaskets dry and so far, no vacuum or pressure leaks.

I noticed that you used the paper valve cover gaskets, did they come in the gasket kit? I decided to go with the PP silicone gaskets and I am very happy with the fit and function.

Mark
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Hey Mark, at some point we should exchange phone numbers or at least email since you're a month or so ahead of me. It would be comforting to know I can ping someone when I hit that inevitable "WTF?"
I'm loctite'ing the studs anyway... even though my plan says they'll be coming OUT in 4-8wks. Ha. What did John Lennon say about "making plans"?
Re: paper gaskets? Yeah, came in the kit. I'm not obsessing too much over the perfection of stuff I can REACH! If these are leaking when I adjust the valves in a month then I'll put on different kinds. I'm still lying awake mulling over "Did I get the case torqued before the Threebond cured? , "Did I really, really torque all the ARP rod bolts?" and get this... , I'm such an obsessive that I had initially assembled with the dreaded pahria BLUE o-rings... and then ordered the "panaceic Green Vitons" of much-heralded superiority, then carefully disassembled each case through-bolt one at a time and replaced them. Basderds better not leak.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Jon,
You can email me anytime at
dad10@comcast.net
I know about removing fresh Loc-Tite. At least it's not as bad as 17 year-old rusted/corroded/dirty fasteners. THAT was the worst part. I actually enjoyed re-disassembling the #4 cylinder/head when I remembered the cylinder base o-ring AND pulling out all the rocker arms on one side when I forgot the long bumpy rod that opens the valves, because the engine was so clean and shiny.
I confess to spending at least 20 hours (over several weeks) with a T-shirt wrapped around a tiny screwdriver attempting to get that last bit of crud out of some deep crevasse that no one could ever possibly see, except me.
I, too, felt victim to the oft repeated counsel regarding the Green Viton seal superiority claims. I know that viton also comes in black, but I have never seen orange o-rings as used on the chain tensioners and throttle housing until now. An occasional black o-ring for the crankcase adapter is allowed, but the oil filter housing, oil thermostat cap, cylinder base, cam tower oil return tubes, and turbo oil scavenge pump all have green guts. Makes you wonder why the camshaft, power steering pump housing, intermediate shaft cover, and rocker arm o-rings are not of the Green Viton persuasion?

Mark
Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

I feel for you brother!!! There is no more a sinking feeling than that of either breaking a stud, or dropping a small metal object in a crankcase or turbo!!!!

Perhaps this thread will help. Even though it deals with exhaust studs, I'm sure the logic could be applied:
A tail of burnt spaghetti and broken exhaust studs.
In addition, I remember seeing a fixture/jig that someone was selling to make this job painless. I thought it was Stromski Racing, but I checked their site and couldn't find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM744 View Post
Sand_man I got new FAIL to contribute...
Old 12-14-2008, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Bro - I applaud you!!! You are a survivor and inspire with your determination, regardless if all your tools break, your clothes are soaking in oil, the trouble light keeps blowing bulbs you keep soldiering on...way to go.
x2 and you even seemed to somehow take a @#$!ed up situation, and make it funny as hell. Im sitting, here 2 weeks out of tendon replacement surgery, took my hand out of the brace yesterday to get dressed and SNAP!!! All of a sudden I'm on the ground in a sharp shooting pain. DOH'!!!! We'll see in a few months if I damaged it again(dr said no way to tell, and not going to open me up again,just to check) EVEN after all that crap, I still found a way to laugh.(and no it's not just the percoset ) Thanks for the much needed comedy relief!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Glad to be of service! Life is too short to take so seriously. As I said, walking away to share my trials with my Pelican peers, makes me feel better.

Sorry to hear about your ailments!!! Were you trying to do the "12 ounce curl" when the tendon let go again? At any rate I'm wishing you a speedy recovery! And in the future, drink those beers through a long straw, or use the good/other hand!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsche930 View Post
x2 and you even seemed to somehow take a @#$!ed up situation, and make it funny as hell. Im sitting, here 2 weeks out of tendon replacement surgery, took my hand out of the brace yesterday to get dressed and SNAP!!! All of a sudden I'm on the ground in a sharp shooting pain. DOH'!!!! We'll see in a few months if I damaged it again(dr said no way to tell, and not going to open me up again,just to check) EVEN after all that crap, I still found a way to laugh.(and no it's not just the percoset ) Thanks for the much needed comedy relief!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: