Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
DP935 member

Here is the page back to the codes...It is on page 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Along with the pictures you all have enjoyed viewing, I received 4 news letters from Porsche Club-Great Britain. I recompiled the information and present the information below.

930 Turbo SE Register Phil Clark & Barry Smith

Build Codes
These are normally on the under bonnet sticker and in the service book
along with the chassis number, engine and transmission type and body colour
code, 9999 as a colour code indicates special colour to sample.

C16 is the first and sometimes only code recorded particularly on early cars
this indicates that the car was built to U.K specifications, i.e. right hand drive, white side lights at the front, windscreen wipers that park to the right, door mirrors positioned for R.H.D, (drivers side further forward than the passengerís side) engine type 930/66 e.t.c.

M Codes - Standard equipment
These follow on after C16 as three numbered codes indicating the equipment that
the factory built onto the cars as a mater of corse

Recoil bumpers 058
Heated passenger seat 139
Heated and adjustable passenger door mirror 261
Heated drivers seat 340
Electric sun roof 650
Limited slip differential 40% 220
Blaupunkt Toronto stereo and CD player 330

M Codes Ė Optional equipment
Usually specified by the customer again taking the form of a three
numbered reference.

Sports seat left with electric hight adjustment 383
Sports seat right with electric hight adjustment 387

Z Codes/ Z antrag in Porsche speak
As fare as we know these codes indicate modifications to the specification of the
standard cars equipment and act as a jobs list at the factory.

An example is Z 04107 this indicates the fitment of Dunlop tyres of 205/55 VR 16 to the front and 225/50 VR 16 to the rear (due to power increase of the engine)
others deal with trim in a specific colour, full leather interior, wheels painted
in body colour etc.

This completes the coded information on the labels, but has anyone noticed that there is no reference that the car is in fact an SE (all the info in this article is taken from Phil Clarkís 1986 car) for all the entire list tells we could be looking at any ordinary 930, (donít mean to suggest that any 930 is ordinary in any way). Donít worry if your car dose not match remember that no two are exactly the same indeed we are aware of one car that has in excess of four hundred standard and special wish options.

The only time any reference to an SE is maid on these labels is when M code 506 appears, this is the designation the factory gave the slant nose in 1987 model year when it became a limited production model some of these cars had all the body and engine mods of the SE but with a standard Turbo interior,
Special wishes built cars usually did not carry any such code no mater what model year. (Confused! you will be)

If anyone has got any substantiated Z code information we would be happy to receive it as definite info is proving difficult to pin down. More next month on Special Wishes Options for the SE.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #601 (permalink)
DP935 member

Here is the page back to the codes...It is on page 4

Quote:
930 Turbo SE Register Phil Clark & Barry Smith
LAST 930
Speaking of the last built, the last 930 Ever built by Porsche just happens to have been an SE cabriolet, built for a very demanding and I dare say very wealthy American customer, the car often refired to as The Black Bird or The Manhattan Car carries a plaque signed by Dr Ferry Porsche that authenticates
its last built status, the car obviously finished in black also boasts over 400 Special wish options on top of the standard build items, apparently the options list filled fourteen pages of the order form and took eighteen months to complete, the car appears in several publications and is described in detail in the February 1992 addition of Excellence magazine, and the book Top Ten Porsche Six Cylinder Super Cars by Henry Rasmussen I.S.B.N.1-879301-02-4.

Special Equipment
Continuing on from last month with the options and build codes we have come to the parts that make the Slant Noses into distinctive and very individual machines, the S.O.W parts, presumably Special Order Wishes these parts represented by codes take the form of three numbered references and as last month are as they appear on Philís car.

S.O.W. CODES
010 Front body Slant Nose Conversion with retractable headlamps.
011 Extended Box Sill Panels.
012 Rear Wing Air Ducts.
013 Front Wing Air Vents (7 louvers each side).
025 Up-rated Engine (330 bhp) including 4-outlet exhaust
115 Steering Wheel (ATF 3 Spoke type F) in blue leather.
123 Centre Consul (Type B) in blue leather.
131 Leather Gear Lever Nob in blue.
140 Fold Down Cassette Holders in blue leather.

Chassis Enquiry
As a rule the S.O.W. codes donít appear anywhere on the car, usually only coming to light on a chassis enquiry made to the Factory through the Warranty Department at Porsche Cars G.B, they require proof
of ownership and they may make a charge, in the first instance contact can be made on 0118 930 3666 donít be surprised and disappointed if you make this enquiry and you only receive standard 930 information back, to avoid this make sure that you stress that your enquiry is about an SE and that you require full information with codes for the options and conversion for your chassis number.

If you make this enquiry and get a result donít forget to let us know so we can update you cars entry on the register, this goes for any information that you may turn up as we are attempting to get chapter and verse on each car.

The list above is what was specified when this car was ordered new, and was very much down to the personal choices of the original owner, as was the case with each and every special wishes car, this fact alone went a long way as to what made each 930 SE unique.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #602 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986911 View Post
I thought if anyone had it, it would be them. Can you post the items and options codes?
Im the one working with J930 to reproduce his window sticker. As the length of this epic topic suggests, uncovering period correct pricing for Exclusive/Special Wish options is almost impossible at times. The salesmen at the time did not even bother showing most customers the possibilities because 98 times out of 100, someone ordered a car with conventional options or things straight out of the salesman's pocket fact book -- and those prices we have.

Unfortunately, PCNA's record-keeping back in the 1980s was not good. There's a chance the yearly Exclusive prices exist somewhere, and the options that correspond to them, but nobody knows who that person is or who might know where to look. Its probably buried in some Stuttgart archive in a box somewhere. Nobody at PCNA has any clue (they rarely have a clue on anything, but thats another topic altogether).

What special wish pricing we do have has been largely furnished from archiving and databasing vehicles with those options on their original stickers. We have quite a bit actually -- probably more than PCNA -- but when you are talking the number of options from Exclusive (couple hundred) and many model years, it becomes a table that might number in the thousands.

In many cases, the Exclusive part numbers were retained over many cycles, and we've seen that across the 911 model range. The 993s for instance tend to share the same code if the option description is the same.

In J930s case, he's got a couple Exclusive option codes that dont even show up on most conventional "mother of all options lists" lists. Where small gaps tend to be, a couple of his option codes reside. That does not suggest to me that his options were one-offs, but rather the information available on the Exclusive options remains clouded in a lot of mystery and new information is constantly being revealed to fill in the holes (and at times create new ones).

Just to give you some context, in our experience less than 1 in 75 cars was delivered with anything beyond off the shelf options -- or -- options that might have been Exclusive but were so popular they were almost as if they were off the shelf. So its very rare to get a vehicle that detoured to Exclusive for open heart surgery. The car in question we're working on has about a dozen Exclusive options. I can track down quite a few of the them, but not in the same year so pricing may be slightly off. PCNA tended to maintain static pricing on a lot of these Exclusive options for periods at a time -- perhaps 3-4 years -- unlike off the shelf options. The margins were much better on Exclusive options so the need to price-adjust every year was not needed.

Chris @StuttgartStudios
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #603 (permalink)
I've gone native

Sport touring package in 87, was that euro delivery?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #604 (permalink)
DP935 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Sport touring package in 87, was that euro delivery?
I am not sure. Maybe somebody else may know.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #605 (permalink)

High Resolution Factory Pictures

I am new to joining the thread. You all have done a great job. I own a factory 1989 Slant Nose.

I do have a few questions:
Can someone send me the factory photos of the cars being built??? I need in high resolution if possible.
Is the Slant Nose Registry up and running yet??? I have scanned all the pages of the thread and have not found it yet.

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #606 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
I've gone native

Beauty, there are a few posted ealy in the thread, also in the new aircooled turbo book. I can email you what I have if you like.
Moe pics?
Details on the car?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #607 (permalink)

It is my understanding the 911/930 Turbo "Slantnose" where sold to Europe and Canada from 1981-85 and sold in the USA in 1986-1989 as an option.

I guess the question is between the 80's year 911/930 Turbo Slantnose Euro car 1981-85 and the 1986-89? USA model slantnose car, and which one of the 80's year is real and worth the most.

According to this:
Porsche 930 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the 911/930 turbo model between 1981-1985 where only available in Canada and Europe slantnose or not. So if you have a 911/930 "slantnose" year models 1981-1985 and it's not from Canada or a Euro car then I would guess it is not a factory 911/930 Turbo slantnose. But, if you have a Euro slantnose between 1981-1985 you might have the real deal with the 1983-85 having the larger 3.3L engine option and extra special wishes upgrades being the one of choice and the 1983 the model most sought after Euro and of most value of that period I would guess.

The larger 3.3L engine upgrade for the 911/930 Turbo became available in 1983 and only available in Euro cars as a special wishes option. So if you have a 1981-1985 911/930 Turbo German/EURO slantnose with a rear tagged as just Turbo then you might have the real deal manufactured from 1981-1985 with the 1983-85 being the only years available as special wishes car.

The Cabriolet was first introduced in 1983 to the Euro market and then later
to the USA market in 1986.

Porsche offered a "Flachbau" ("slantnose") 930 under the "Sonderwunschprogramm" (special order program) beginning in 1981, an otherwise normal 930 with a 935-style slantnose instead of the normal 911 front end.

In 1986-89 you would have the USA version of the 911/930 Turbo "slantnose".

So, which 911/930 Turbo "slantnose" should be worth the most?

A 1981-85 Euro, 911/930 Turbo "Flachbau" ("slantnose") 930 under the "Sonderwunschprogramm" (special order program).

First being the 1983 Euro 911/930 Turbo Cabriolet "slantnose" special wishes car.

The 1983 Euro car had as part of their special wishes program a factory installed slantnose option for the 911/930 Turbo, the first to have a 3.3L (930/83) engine, and the first Cabriolet available only in Europe one of only 948 units built during that time. 1983 model was also the first year the performance option became available on a build-to-order basis from Porsche. With the add-on came a 4-pipe exhaust system and an additional oil-cooler requiring a remodelled front spoiler and units bearing the add-on often featured additional ventilation holes in the rear fenders and modified rockers.

or

A 1986-89 USA, 911/930 Turbo Cabriolet with the "slantnose" option
and a (930/66) engine?

Here's what they say:

Changing emissions regulations in Japan and the U.S. forced Porsche to withdraw the 930 from those markets in 1980. It remained, however, available in Canada. Believing the 928 would eventually replace the 911, Fuhrmann cut-back spending on the model, and it was not until Fuhrmann's resignation the company finally committed the financing to re-regulate the car.

The 930 remained available in Europe, and for 1983 a 330 PS (243 kW; 325 hp) performance option became available on a build-to-order basis from Porsche. With the add-on came a 4-pipe exhaust system and an additional oil-cooler requiring a remodelled front spoiler and units bearing the add-on often featured additional ventilation holes in the rear fenders and modified rockers.

Porsche offered a "Flachbau" ("slantnose") 930 under the "Sonderwunschprogramm" (special order program) beginning in 1981, an otherwise normal 930 with a 935-style slantnose instead of the normal 911 front end. Each Flachbau unit was handcrafted by remodeling the front fenders. So few were built that the slantnose units often commanded a high premium over sticker, adding to the fact that they required a premium of up to 60 per cent (highly individualized cars even more) over the standard price. Several sources claim the factory built 948 units. The Flachbau units delivered in Europe usually featured the 330 hp (246 kW) performance kit.

Porsche 930 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by cgh911sc; 01-01-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #608 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Beauty, there are a few posted ealy in the thread, also in the new aircooled turbo book. I can email you what I have if you like.
Moe pics?
Details on the car?
Thanks for the quick response. I will post more pictures but here are some quick facts on the car. It is a 1989 Factory Slant Nose, confirmed by Porsche to be authentic. I purchase the car a few years ago. I searched for over four years to find one, but finally located one through a car broker in Florida. I have kept the car mostly stock with the exception of the radio and rims.

The car gets a lot of attention, both at PCA events and just in general. I previously owned a 1983 930 that was used in trade. You really cannot compare the two vehicles. I loved my 1983 for over 18 years but the Slant Nose was definitely a step up and a whole different animal.

It is good to see a group of Slant Nose enthusiast. Keep up the good work. More soon. What is the name of the book you referenced as the "aircooled turbo book"???
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #609 (permalink)
I've gone native

Not sure it's cool to advertise it here, but if u go to rennlist in the 930 forum there is a thread w info.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #610 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
The book is available from three vendors (one in the U.S.) on Amazon.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #611 (permalink)

Has a registry been started yet?
I have one, a 89 slant cabriolet exported from CA, San
Diego area after 9 years. One of 28 for US. It has high summer miles which is a testament to it's great driving enjoyment. Motor rebuild to well over 400HP by renowned Chicago area Porsche race shop, and 43K miles since. Near perfect all original paint etc, except for the upgrade 472HP crank HP motor it appears original. Paying a monster premium for low miles is unnecessary to me, ( I'm too old to drive the miles out of numerous low mileage turbos I own), if a high miles car has had the maintenance money spent on it. I sold my 1989 28K miles non slant cabriolet for it when I found out it was available. I ain't ever going back to garage queens. I also recently sold a 88 slant cpe w/30k miles. I could contact the new owners to register their cars. Both of the new owners bought them to drive and enjoy them, so they won't be low miles for long.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-02-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #612 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Sonderwunsch Special Wishes Progrem Brochure

In the Porsche Collectibles forum I posted For Sale:

1984 Factory Sonderwunsch Special Wishes Progrem Brochure

Original Factory Brochure and option/price list from November 1984, brochure 16 pages and price /option listing 8 pages, Very rare and in German
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #613 (permalink)

In the Porsche Collectibles Forum I posted For Sale:

Original 930 Turbo Factory Flatnose Owners Manual Supplement

Last edited by wdr911; 01-15-2013 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: change description
Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #614 (permalink)

Various Factory Sonderwunsch Special Wishes Progrem Brochures

Original Factory Brochure and option/price list

Very rare and in German and English
Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #615 (permalink)
I've gone native

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdr911 View Post

Original 930 Turbo Factory Flatnose Owners Manual Supplement
Very hard to find, I actually picked one up on fleabay last yr for 10$....stole it!
Anybody have a 87 maint log?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #616 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930 Slantnose View Post
................snipped for content......................

It is good to see a group of Slant Nose enthusiast. Keep up the good work. More soon. What is the name of the book you referenced as the "aircooled turbo book"???
I received the "911 turbo Air Cooled Years" last week and fortunately, though published in Germany, it contains side-by-side text in German and English. Haven't read it thoroughly but seems to have very good content in both pictorial and statistical information.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #617 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Available from ?

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #618 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
The book is available from three vendors (one in the U.S.) on Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Available from ?
Just a bit up the page.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #619 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
I see says the blind carpenter as he pickup his tool box...

A bit down in my case, thanks.

ISBN (10) 3981459210

ISBN (13) 978-3981459210

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 01-20-2013, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #620 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: