Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We have a CNC sitting idle as well. The problem is not lack of ideas or things to make, it is lack of people who are able to pay what these items cost plus a meager profit.
The machine is likely to remain underutilized until this depression lifts ...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
4valve heads!
Yasin
I would make love explosions....
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
4valve heads!

Yasin
It has been done (I believe I've seen the prototype with my own eyes) but there is just not enough meat to keep them cool. Plus there is a nightmare of syncing the valves with existing rockers. I believe watercooled 4v heads are the only way to do this.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
user & abuser

Garage
4 valve heads seem soo friggin cool.... can we use some really cool material???
Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Make a CNC machine that will fit in my basement!
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarrier View Post
Affordable center lock wheels and hubs?
What is affordable? We make them and are just about finished. The 4340 material for the rears alone is expensive plus material for front hubs plus machining, plus drive pins plus nuts plus brake hats plus rotors.......... there is a lot of cost in making them so I am curious what affordable is. Don't forget you need wheels to go with them.....

Cheers
Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Replacement front rotors for the floating 78-79 hub design. OEM rotors are too $$$$.

Another sillyer idea is a cruise control module for the 930.

a turbo support bracket for the k27 design that actually fits.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
We have a CNC sitting idle as well. The problem is not lack of ideas or things to make, it is lack of people who are able to pay what these items cost plus a meager profit.
The machine is likely to remain underutilized until this depression lifts ...
Well said.
The friend of my brother in law has 5 machines plus a plastic mold machine that was busy from oil and gas company's. We have come up with some snowmobile parts but are still trying to find something car related.
Thanks to everyones idea's. My own company is busy now and I mountain snowmobile, but I Will work on some of the great idea's you guy's had.
Thanks again
Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
What is affordable? We make them and are just about finished. The 4340 material for the rears alone is expensive plus material for front hubs plus machining, plus drive pins plus nuts plus brake hats plus rotors.......... there is a lot of cost in making them so I am curious what affordable is. Don't forget you need wheels to go with them.....

Cheers
Your life will depend on this setup - don't look for cheap setups...get quality.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
a turbo support bracket for the k27 design that actually fits.
Ben and I are working on this right now. No CNC involved, rather a stamp or lazer cut. I plan to offer a one-stop-shop for the K27. Bracket, adapter and turbo for a true bolt-on.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Ben and I are working on this right now. No CNC involved, rather a stamp or lazer cut. I plan to offer a one-stop-shop for the K27. Bracket, adapter and turbo for a true bolt-on.
You are DaMan!
Let us know when they are ready.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
It has been done (I believe I've seen the prototype with my own eyes) but there is just not enough meat to keep them cool. Plus there is a nightmare of syncing the valves with existing rockers. I believe watercooled 4v heads are the only way to do this.
Hi Goran,

Do you think it would be possible using Thermal Barrier Coatings that are available today?

I have only seen the 956/962C (water cooled) 4 valve head in a photo. Not sure but from the photo it is shown as a single head, unlike the 959
I can only speculate that while developing the prototype 4 valve heads they found (as you pointed out) that there was not enough meat on to keep them cool.

I'm wondering with the TBC that are available today weather it would be possible to control the heat load in a finned head?
Design them to use the 959 cam towers, cams, rockers, covers etc.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post

Cheers
Porsche parts without the Porsche tax.

A set of center lock wheels are going for $6000.00 on ebay right now.

Aren't there wheels out there for around $2500.00 or so?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Don't always assume there is a porsche tax. Something like centerlocks is a limited appeal product made in small production runs. The design, set up, manufacturing, fixtuting etc all needs to be amortized over a small production run.

Is 6K a little much for that product? Probably.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2009, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: