Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

If I Had a CNC Machine...

If you had access to a high dollar CNC machine what would you make. I'm interested in something guy's on here might want if it was inexpensive and custom. I have a friend who has a CNC business that is slow and thought maybe guy's wanted something on here.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Wheels,
Maybe RUF replicas?

I want new ones but I'm out of money!

I know this will stir up things but....... a aluminum cup holder ( one that looks and works well ), and when not in use folds away out of site.

There is 2 things, and now a word from the Pro's.........(look at next post).
Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Benny,
The wheels would be cool, but will be work.
Cup holders would be easy but where would they mount from?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Got CNC?

No brainer...
Make some of these:

I'll buy one. Ruf used to sell them. I would say the price point is between $500 and $1000.

Mark
Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Affordable center lock wheels and hubs?

Those exhaust stud drilling tools are nice too.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Just an idea, but how about stuff with "930" or "RSR" on it: Fuchs center caps, custom hood badges, billet keychains, desk ornaments, shift knobs etc. Or how about clear anodized deck lid emblems milled from thick billet in script: "Carerra", "turbo" etc.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Make intake blocks for EFI conversions.
One flavor for the stock manifold, another for the Carrera manifold.
Make the Carrera ones taper to 32 mm.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirevtuner View Post
I want one of these but can't bring myself to pay for it.

http://efinnegan.com/Porsche/Repair%20Maintenance%20and%20Miscellaneous%20info/seat-slide-mounted-cup-holder.htm

Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarrier View Post
affordable center lock wheels and hubs?
bingo!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-24-2009, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
This falls into the “ If I won the lottery area”

To build an efficient 4-valve air-cooled head for our engines.

Of course this includes making the other required bits such as, cam towers, timing chain covers that adapt the heads to the block.

There are several examples in Bruce Andersons 911 Performance Hand Book of early 4 valve motors. There is a nice photo of the 1978 type 935/71 Moby Dick engine.

I suspect that some where collecting dust is a treasure chest of tooling , proto types, plugs, castings and a wealth of knowledge to bring this dream to life.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Porsche would open the doors to these vaults and rekindle their bond with generations of Porsche Enthusiasts.

Ok back to reality.

How about designing and building a light weight rocker arm?
Is your buddies CNC milling machine a 3 Axis unit?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirevtuner View Post
Thanks Benny,
The wheels would be cool, but will be work.
From the ashtray, make it so it locks in there then folds out.

Mabey something along this design, but folds into the ashtray, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__PORSCHE-BOXSTER-FOLDING-CUP-HOLDER_W0QQitemZ350114011943QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Ac cessoriesQQadiZ2865QQddiZ2811QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20Tru ckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZM otors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?_trksid=p4506.m2 0.l1116

Now , get to work.

Last edited by Benny771; 01-24-2009 at 06:18 AM..
Old 01-24-2009, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
How about a tasteful center console? Then you'll have your cupholders and ashtray. Machined aluminum and leather.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

I would make hi-rev 2-stroke 3L straight six and install it into BMW E30 chassis.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Groan I have the engine you want but it is a V6 and called Mercury XS and has Direct Injection.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
How about a tasteful center console? Then you'll have your cupholders and ashtray. Machined aluminum and leather.
Have you seen this thread?

Center Console Redux
Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
No brainer...
Make some of these:

I'll buy one. Ruf used to sell them. I would say the price point is between $500 and $1000.

Mark
Hey!!! That's mine! $1,000 huh... I will have to tell the wife
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

4valve heads!

Yasin
Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I do alot of R&D/prototype part development here for my customers. You guys name it and I can most likely render the CAD development in Solidworks. My most current CAD project are new throttle bodies for a few other chassis. I might be developing a new TB for the 997's as well soon. I need to land a 930 TB before I could consider interpolating the design over to your cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
I would make hi-rev 2-stroke 3L straight six and install it into BMW E30 chassis.
Goran, I REALLY like your thinking Short stroke, long rod motor. Use S50B30 dimensionality, reed valve case. 11.5:1+ static CR. Make a bedplate and pan design to isolate the cylinders from each other in the crankcase. Obviously make a new head sans valvetrain and Vanos. Ohh, could twin plug the bish(is only an 86mm bore though)...... Whoa!, just got a chill See now you're gonna make me waste more time and make something in Solidworks, hahah. Can you imagine what that thing would sound like!!

I'm an oldskool Rotax tuner here from my snowmobile days, absolutely love that stuff.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964 T #304 View Post
Groan I have the engine you want but it is a V6 and called Mercury XS and has Direct Injection.
Sorry for OT.

I've been thinking about this a long time It would sound like V12. But how is oiling done on one of these? Is constant fuel flow required to keep cylinder walls lubed? In that case extra oil squirters underneath the pistons are probably needed in order to lube it when engine-braking.

SAAB 92 two-stroker solved this with free-wheel assembly which is a bit cumbersome. It would also spoil the sound

Thanx!

/Goran
Old 01-25-2009, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
e I could consider interpolating the design over to your cars.

Goran, I REALLY like your thinking Short stroke, long rod motor. Use S50B30 dimensionality, reed valve case. 11.5:1+ static CR. Make a bedplate and pan design to isolate the cylinders from each other in the crankcase. Obviously make a new head sans valvetrain and Vanos. Ohh, could twin plug the bish(is only an 86mm bore though)...... Whoa!, just got a chill See now you're gonna make me waste more time and make something in Solidworks, hahah. Can you imagine what that thing would sound like!!

I'm an oldskool Rotax tuner here from my snowmobile days, absolutely love that stuff.
Hmm...S50B30 would need lot's of block work in order to machine the exhaust ports trough Nicasil jugs. Probably easier to do a billet-block from scratch. On the other hand "head" would be very easy...just a lock with two plugs per cylinder.

On the other hand, Merc V6 naval engine is compact, light and already works. But I dunno about oiling while engine-braking. EFI with continuous fueling to keep cylinders lubed would work but it would backfire as crazy when engine-braking.

I would make extra fueling rail powered by external pump just ta keep lubrication at bay as maritime engines aren't subjected to G's or engine-braking.

It would sound really really good and weight a lot less than V12 No flywheel to speak about = throttle response would be instant. It would sound like Carrera GT with two extra cylinders Add a small multiplate clutch (torque is probably low, don't need beefy clutch) and straight-cut dog box and it would rip! Tuned exhaust chambers could be sourced from snowmobile scene.

But it has to be mounted into lightweight chassis or it would only sound good.

Last edited by beepbeep; 01-25-2009 at 06:49 AM..
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: