Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Infidel

First i've heard of stuck rings, although i don't doubt it happens. Would have thought it's more likely cracked rings with 50% leak-down, what a shame! You could try and get a deal on the car due to it needing a strip and rebuild? Strange it's like this after only 17,000miles, detonation down to poor fuel or too much boost would probably be the cause.

125 shifter (David) already answered your question, but i'll try too...
The heat exchangers have no bearing on performance, remember there is no other way to get cabin heat in an aircooled car other than get the heat from the exhaust manifold area. You can have headers without heat exchangers, or with! They will be the same system but the one with heat has boxes welded around them so the heater fan can draw air across the headers and into the cabin. If you need heat then make sure the exhaust system has them, if not then don't worry, it has nothing to do with performance!
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan

Last edited by JBL930; 01-02-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I'm in Northeast so heat matters! Thanks for the furthering the explanation on heaters.

Just to be clear as I'm not the type to ditch someones car for my own benefit, but the car with a poor leak down is not the one linked at the start of this thread. it's a stock 89 that someone has offered me.

PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
First i've heard of stuck rings, although i don't doubt it happens. Would have thought it's more likely cracked rings with 50% leak-down, what a shame! You could try and get a deal on the car due to it needing a strip and rebuild? Strange it's like this after only 17,000miles, detonation down to poor fuel or too much boost would probably be the cause.

125 shifter (David) already answered your question, but i'll try too...
The heat exchangers have no bearing on performance, remember there is no other way to get cabin heat in an aircooled car other than get the heat from the exhaust manifold area. You can have headers without heat exchangers, or with! They will be the same system but the one with heat has boxes welded around them so the heater fan can draw air across the headers and into the cabin. If you need heat then make sure the exhaust system has them, if not then don't worry, it has nothing to do with performance!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Infidel

Ah, i thought it sounded strange that there would be poor leak-down numbers on something with a fresh and properly built engine.
If this 89 car can be had for reasonable money then i wouldn't get too hung up on the leak-down numbers, just factor in a rebuild with the price and go for it. At least you will have a nice fresh engine that way, and maybe do some internal mods while you have it apart!
Or buy the EFI'd car, it looks great and has a good engine, even down to head sealing rings and strong rods, it would be a no brainer if i was state side and was in the market for one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyGarage View Post
I'm in Northeast so heat matters! Thanks for the furthering the explanation on heaters.

Just to be clear as I'm not the type to ditch someones car for my own benefit, but the car with a poor leak down is not the one linked at the start of this thread. it's a stock 89 that someone has offered me.

PJ
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

What would be the cost of a rebuild to repair leakdown issue ..say broken studs. Not all the extra's just the 1 cylinder.

If I'm going to ask for price adjustment then basing the reduction on just fixing the 1 problem not other parts that might be worked on while engine is apart.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

There are a lot of good priced cars on the market. It seems to me that the prices are still dropping as over the summer I saw a few cars that were not as nice a car and as noce a build as these. Both are newly posted today.

41K OBO:

Online Inventory - Buxton Motorsports, Inc., Authorized Panoz dealer and Nationwide Dealer of Pre-owned European Automobiles.

39K OBO

1986 Porsche 911 Turbo for Sale | FunKtion Auto
Old 01-05-2010, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Infidel

If the car you posted at the beginning of the thread is still available, the black one with full EFI conversion, BUY IT NOW!!! It's better than ALL the others you are looking at.....
If you want a "stock" low mileage garage queen, then keep looking
Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
If the car you posted at the beginning of the thread is still available, the black one with full EFI conversion, BUY IT NOW!!! It's better than ALL the others you are looking at.....
If you want a "stock" low mileage garage queen, then keep looking
I agree, be a empty garage guy no longer.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Voitureltd .... I see that you deal in 930's and that's a nice 79 that you have up on ebay. I have to admit that this car is testing my resolve to purchase an 89.

For you...What tipped the scale to pass, I know your stable is full but it looks like you would always have room for one more.

Last edited by EmptyGarage; 01-05-2010 at 06:34 PM..
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

That looks like a well executed car at that price, it would be a contender in my book. My car was modded correctly by a very reputable P-car tuner shop in the Seattle area the work recepts were more than I paid for the car. It's nice to have a well done car at a fraction of the price to get it that way. I would love to Mod build a car, the business side of me say's buy it built for 50% of the cost, and drive, it doesent have any warning flags. Listen to voitureltd he really know these cars.

Thats a nice 930!
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyGarage View Post
Voitureltd .... I see that you deal in 930's and that's a nice 79 that you have up on ebay. I have to admit that this car is testing my resolve to purchase an 89.

For you...What tipped the scale to pass, I know your stable is full but it looks like you would always have room for one more.
I have not passed yet however it is not as clean as I usually get them but the cars driving capabilities would make up for that. As for a 89 I would not pay much preimum for the 5spd as opposed to getting a really expensive high HP build for the money. Actually if I sell my near mint 79 which is indeed ( check out the new close up photos I just posted) really show and excellent to drive original, I would consider either the Black EFI or another one that is similar that I'm looking at. "Always room for one more" at the funny farm, as I really have to cut back and sell some if I get either of the EFI ones.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
EmptyGarage, for God's sake ...
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Someone did just that as the $32K on ebay was met. I hope I can offer congratulations to EmptyGarage as this should be a geat car. Now I only have the other similar car to agonize over until I or someone else JUST DOES IT.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-06-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: