Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Advice: Dependable configuration?

Porsche : 930 on eBay.ca (item 320468912618 end time 06-Jan-10 12:57:39 EST)

Considering the above car but it's a complex build and need some advice. In the area I live we have a local Porsche dealer but not any experienced German auto repair shops and definitely none with frequent contact with these older 930's.

My question is: Are the modifications to this car as robust and mechanically dependable as the owner suggests?

What Are your thoughts...please let me know if you run a similar set up
Old 01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The car should be very dependable. AEM is a good ECU and the modifications look professionally done. $32K sounds about right.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That car looks to be in really nice condition in and out. It's 3.4 mahle cylinders and has EFI with the Carrera intake manifold and garretson halfbay intercooler.
It has the large center oil cooler in the front air damn and sports seats.
He says it runs good so if you like the color this looks like a very good deal at 32,000.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What about that exhaust system...says custom built but looks like some backyard wielding!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Those are GLH headers with heat exchangers. They are not made anymore but alot of people like them.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I looked into this car and about all I could fault was a few marks on the rear center carpet and some corrosion where the battery had been left in from non use when being upgraded. The updated service to the original build was by Chris @TurboKraft Tempe AZ. They went thru and updated and refined what had been done and remarked it was a very nice build and in good condition. I believe there is a new TurboKraft intercooler the seller would exchange to if the buyer desired. I have a similar car that I had considerded selling for more$$$ . If I did not have it i would have bought it when offered the first time however its just to much hassle in the winter to buy this and sell mine with all the other projects that are on going. (My loss your gain). It is a smoken deal in my book and should go to someone that has the connections to maintain and appreciate such a nice car.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-01-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Old 01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I thought that this was advertised before...I've looked at so many ads now that I'm not sure anymore when or where I saw them originally.

Did you get to have an on-site inspection of this car? If so did you drive and how did transmission and engine feel?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No, it was to far to see in person. However I did get lots more detailed photos from Bryce and spoke at length with Chris the owner of TurboKraft of Tempe ( you should give him a call to feel good about this car) who was very familiar with the car and spoke highly of car and the credibility of the owner. The only thing he felt left to do other than the updated intercooler the owner already has was upgrade to a Garrett type of turbo. I agree as I just had the similarly built car that I own changed from a K29 and picked up responce along with 31HP on the dyno. That cost me around $2300 for the GT35R with the fab work and install plus around $300 dyno time when all was said and done, if you decide to factor that into your projected cost.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-02-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Old 01-01-2010, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Can someone explain the different exhaust configurations that are possible.

I often see "SS exhaust with heaters" this implies that some do not contain heaters. What is purpose of heater...is it a type of catalytic converter.

Are heaters simply for pollution control or due they have any benefit. What is the best configuration for engine hp...mileage...engine longevity?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Heaters are the boxes around the headers. They provide hot air to heat the cabin. They are not part of the pollution control. The headers on this car have the heat boxes.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

This car has been done right....and at a very good price considering the miles and all the upgrades. If I was in the market for another one, it would be a done deal by now.

I always get a kick out of eBay auctions that tell you what the reserve price is. What is the point? Keeping the reserve a secret is supposed to drive potential bidders to run the value up until the reserve is "discovered". Have you ever been to an estate auction, and do they ever tell you what they REALLY want for that antique armoire...or do they just let the final bid determine the price? What floors me is the people bidding on the car. Why bother to bid anything less than the reserve price....you won't win it...nobody will win it...until the reserve has been met. Now, if you were to bid $32,001, then the real bidding action would begin. Or, just wait until the auction is over and it hasn't sold, then contact the dude and offer him what he wanted in the first place, or maybe a bit less. Oh, sorry, eBay frowns on that tactic 'cause they don't make their percentage.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 01-02-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-02-2010, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Mark,
I'm not sure if you are serious or not. In case you are:
Bidding below the reserve price makes you a "bidder" then you can get an email notification when someone outbids you and you instantly know the next bid because they have just outbid you.
If you bid below the reserve and the reserve is not met, you get notified if the car is relisted. Plus the buyer may contact you and offer to sell at your last bid. I have been successful doing this and the 965 I am driving now was a "Reserve not met" auction.
Giving up the reserve also keeps away the sharks that just bid up to the hidden reserve then pull out, just so they can find out what the reserve is.

Ebay is a bit science and a bit art. Also, they are making so much bloody money they don't care about one auction's percentage...

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-02-2010, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

[QUOTE=mark houghton;5102429]This car has been done right....and at a very good price considering the miles and all the upgrades. If I was in the market for another one, it would be a done deal by now.

Ditto, I say pull the trigger. I just put my best excellent original 930 on Ebay (To many cars) , however if this car is unsold and mine gets sold I think I will buy it. Fair warning, SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-02-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Old 01-02-2010, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=voitureltd;5102542]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
This car has been done right....and at a very good price considering the miles and all the upgrades. If I was in the market for another one, it would be a done deal by now.

Ditto, I say pull the trigger. I just put my best excellent original 930 on Ebay (To many cars) , however if this car is unsold and mine gets sold I think I will buy it. Fair warning, SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!
We're all beyond help....!!! Buy it anyway, and hope yours sells!!!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Mark,
I'm not sure if you are serious or not. In case you are:
Bidding below the reserve price makes you a "bidder" then you can get an email notification when someone outbids you and you instantly know the next bid because they have just outbid you.
If you bid below the reserve and the reserve is not met, you get notified if the car is relisted. Plus the buyer may contact you and offer to sell at your last bid. I have been successful doing this and the 965 I am driving now was a "Reserve not met" auction.
Giving up the reserve also keeps away the sharks that just bid up to the hidden reserve then pull out, just so they can find out what the reserve is.

Ebay is a bit science and a bit art. Also, they are making so much bloody money they don't care about one auction's percentage...

Thanks,
Mark
Oh, I was just venting on what a true auction should be, as eBay has mutated over the years. I understand your points, having bid and won over 300 eBay things over the years and played the art-part of it. I guess my whole point is...listing the reserve price defeats the whole gamesmanship of the experience. Certainly, understanding the lay of the land does help tremendously.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

[QUOTE=mark houghton;5102621]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post

We're all beyond help....!!! Buy it anyway, and hope yours sells!!!
Hey Mark H., thanks for all the encouragement, as even if mine does not sell I do have a extra spot in the new garage and some spare $$$ left from the 88 SN I recently sold for $60K although I was looking at a 993 RUF that is No reserve @ BJs upcoming auction ?????. Oh well everything is a crapshoot when it comes to this kinda of stuff.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-02-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Infidel

The car, and the list of mods look great, there's a lot of money gone into this build, but as everyone here will attest to, the more painstaking investment is time, buying a 930 that has already had the engine taken to this level is a great move! It can take years to get a car to this stage, and often does!
It would be nice to know some more specs, what turbo is it using and what max boost is it set up for? How many miles does it have on the engine since the build? Make sure you get a leak down test done!
By the way, the GHL headers had a poorly designed wastegate circuit which caused boost creep. The way of dealing with this was to weld a larger diameter pipe from the headers to the wasteagte, which it seams has been done to these headers!
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I think Chris @ turbokraft Tulsa Ok. mentioned to me a Garrett GT35R type would be a improvement to the performance for this car. The mileage since rhe original upgrade is as I remember being told by Bryce was 17000K ish.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-04-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Could someone else chime in on this "exhaust heaters" comment. Are they Just for cabin heat? How do they effect performance/
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Have another question about a leak down results. How does this explanation sound for a poor leak down result?

No 2 cylinder has 50% on leak down and all cylinders borescoped look fine so Porsche mechanic it is a stuck ring. Under normal driving, the car doesn't miss and accelerates like it should which all favor the diagnosis of the stuck ring. It does not burn more than normal oil consumption per Porsche factory limits. I had him change the oil and plan is to drive it a few hundred miles and repeat compression leak down test.

I guess this probably means that engine job is eminent?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: