Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Easily between $35K - $38K...nice car! Really nice...why is it black leather interiors photograph so poorly..they always look older and crustier than they actually are?

Good luck and hope she goes to a good home
Yasin

Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964 T #304 View Post
I'd pay the freight and send it to Spencer for 100 +
I suppose some may see it similarly. Others may care as much or more about the home it goes to. At some point, great cars have next stewards as much as next owners. As always, YMMV.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
why is it black leather interiors photograph so poorly..they always look older and crustier than they actually are?
Because the light meter in the camera that controls exposure and flash output can't think so it measures the amount of light reflecting off the subject and averages it together with some algorthm or center weighting and adjusts exposure and flash output to average the details in fame to medium gray - halfway between balck and white.

All light reflective light meters for film and digital work this way and they have to because they don't know what you're photographing so in this case it takes the black carpeting and interior and overexposes it so it comes out gray.

This is the same reason a snow scene will also look gray with no exposure compensation dialed into the camera's reflective light meter.

Anotherwords, if you take a black card, a gray card and a white card and fill the camera frame with them and shoot them with a reflective light meter all three cards will come out medium gray... unless you know what you're doing and you dial in exposure compensation.

Or use a hand held incident light meter that measures the amount of light falling on the subject instead of the light reflecting back off it.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964 T #304 View Post
I'd pay the freight and send it to Spencer for 100 +
Unfortunately the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car and needs to be put on the right
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
My '77 930 sold for 44k seven months ago!

I am not sure if that time has helped erode the overall valuation of what 930's should go for or not at this present moment.

Your car has a grand grocery list on it. If you aren't impatient and hard for the cash,, I would hold out for the ONE that will pay what YOU want for it! Nothing less.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pu911 View Post
Turbo's have always been tough to sell but I think market is picking up for these. I think mid 30's is correct as well. I just recently purchased a low mileage, fully documented, original 79 930. I'd advertise on PCA, Rennlist and even ebay for the exposure.
Phil
$35k area seems reasonable....

On another note...what does "Turbo's have always been tough to sell..." mean? Maybe you are referring to the cars that have been modified up the wazoo...(nothing wrong with modifying in my view...just very tough to value in the after-market).
Old 02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
FYI, just listed the car in the For Sale section.

1986 930 with 47K miles
Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
FYI, just dropped the price to $35,000.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
I wonder if you get more for the RUF wheels on the car or separately (putting the Fuchs back on the car)...?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
If you decide to sell the Ruf wheels let me know.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Speaking as a recent 930 buyer (and sc seller):

You have some really nice pictures there. The close up photo of the wheel and dash, porsche crest on the keychain, all that wet vinyl is just luscious, but I think it is hurt by the twisted tach. I know how easy it is to change, but some other buyer might not, or assume you're thrashing the car. You're really close to perfect with that picture, do it again with the tach aligned. Nice light.

You should retake the wider photo of the interior, get better light.

I also agree about losing the pedal covers, maybe also put in a boring stock shift knob.

Maybe someone with more authority can chime in about whether you'll make more selling those wheels separately.

$35k, wow. Nice car! I hope you change your mind.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
You'd definetly get more if you sold the car and wheels seperately. It is a PIA to do, but if you really want the cash, always sell the go-fast stuff separate from the car (assuming you have the stock stuff to put back on).
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Porsche-Poor

Garage
Knowing what it takes to get a stock 930 sorted the way you did and overall condition, $35K is a no-brainer for the serious educated buyer, beatutiful car and good luck with the sale
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
As I hoped, there has been a lot of interest since I dropped the price to $35,000 last week. I am glad to see that these cars hold SOME value, even in today's economy. When you take into account that this is the only place I have an advertisement I think that only strengthens this argument.

I am taking the car in for am oil change tomorrow because I would prefer to sell it to a Pelican enthusiast and want it to be freshly serviced and ready for the next owner to enjoy. A bunch of folks asked for more pictures so see below for the same update I put on the ad over on Pelican's For Sale section.

Front Trunk is clean with a strut brace, small amp and 8" tubular subwoofer. This is a 2 owner car and it comes with all books and records since new plus original parts including complete tool kit, original steering wheel, clock, etc.

Last edited by Texas Turbo; 09-19-2010 at 03:09 PM..
Old 09-19-2010, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Autosport Vehicle Inventory

please look at the link for the recently sold 930. tom p. would disagree with the pricing that many have cited as proper for your car...look at the asking price on the car listed. i know there was some price consideration on the deal but not much.

these web forums are really good at devaluing 930's...i remain confused???

good luck selling your car as it looks like a beauty!!!

pcb
Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting observation, Pete. $65K is probably close to the top end of the market for a nice 930. Of course, that car appears to be totally stock and has a lot fewer miles so I am sure it is being sold as a "concours" car that can be taken to the big shows and win... unfortunately that's not my car. Close, but not exactly... mine could be returned to stock by putting on the old parts and locating an original muffler, intercooler and turbo but I don't think that's the right course of action. The stock cars are fun but the built ones really make the most of this platform. As everyone knows, a few simple mods go a LONG way in the 930. That said, perhaps I should reach out to Tom P and see if he's interested in flipping my car and making a huge profit

Who knows, perhaps it would be worth my time and effort to return it to stock and trying to sell it for $50K plus but personally I think that would be taking this car backwards. I have invested a lot of time and money building this car and I believe it is perfect for what most buyers are looking for... a well sorted and strong running low mileage 930.

My hunch is that there just are not that many serious buyers out there today given the economic environment and I'm going to have to price it aggressively (which I believe I have) and wait for the right buyer to show up.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes and I appreciate everyone's thoughts, input and feedback.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Turbo View Post
Interesting observation, Pete. $65K is probably close to the top end of the market for a nice 930. Of course, that car appears to be totally stock and has a lot fewer miles so I am sure it is being sold as a "concours" car that can be taken to the big shows and win... unfortunately that's not my car. Close, but not exactly... mine could be returned to stock by putting on the old parts and locating an original muffler, intercooler and turbo but I don't think that's the right course of action. The stock cars are fun but the built ones really make the most of this platform. As everyone knows, a few simple mods go a LONG way in the 930. That said, perhaps I should reach out to Tom P and see if he's interested in flipping my car and making a huge profit

Who knows, perhaps it would be worth my time and effort to return it to stock and trying to sell it for $50K plus but personally I think that would be taking this car backwards. I have invested a lot of time and money building this car and I believe it is perfect for what most buyers are looking for... a well sorted and strong running low mileage 930.

My hunch is that there just are not that many serious buyers out there today given the economic environment and I'm going to have to price it aggressively (which I believe I have) and wait for the right buyer to show up.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes and I appreciate everyone's thoughts, input and feedback.
i agree that your car has all the correct mods and frankly...what i think most potential buyers would want!

i was merely pointing out that quality dealers seem to place a higher value/premium on the 930 than we do on this web-site. i personally tend to be hard on my own cars and under value them where a dealer might say wow...perfect car, as new, you won't find better...and ask and get considerably more money than i would.

your car looks nice and i do hope we see these awesome machines make it past the $50k mark with some regularity soon!

i am painfully aware that there can be a HUGE difference in a $25k 930 and a $40k 930.

good luck!!

pcb
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Your car is priced right for the market but may not sell quickly. The $65K museum piece is just that. High end auto brokers have a completely different clientele than those looking on Pelican for a nice clean low mile driver.
Unfortunately this economy has instantly lopped off $10K from the value of our cars. I've looked at several 930's in the last few months for a friend. High 20's buys a nice no-issues driver, the rest may sell in time but take finding the right buyer. Unfortunately I don't see this changing any time soon.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Good points, Brian. I guess I am looking/hoping for that buyer that realizes the difference between my car and the "no issues driver priced in the high 20s". I know those cars are out there and are great buys... my feeling is at $35K this car also represents a great buy.

I'd like to think that if I were in the market I'd see the extra $5-7K for this car as money well spent and a no-brainer. I am selling this car so I can buy my first Ferrari and I am finding that I need to be prepared to pay an extra $10-20K for a well sorted car with the options I want. I don't trade cars often so I'd rather buy "THE" car for me than buy a car I don't want or might cause me problems down the road because it wasn't well sorted when I bought it. As everyone knows, the same goes for our cars and there is no such thing as a "cheap" 930. (That's not to suggest a 930 priced in the 20s is cheap, the point of this thread is to have an open discussion on the current market value of good 930s and I'm simply pointing out that this one is well sorted, low mileage and documented. Really no expense has been spared on this car since new.)

Of course, you can never be sure with used cars but you can do your homework and buy a well documented example in hopes that you mitigate your risk. I should and will start marketing the car elsewhere and may even put it on ebay for fun. At some point I am sure I can negotiate a trade with someone ready to sell me a Ferrari and the tax advantages of a trade-in make that option the right decision.

Thanks again for the thoughts and feedback. It is interesting to hear everyone's take on the market and value of these great cars.

Cheers!

TT
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Beautiful!!!!!!

That car looks solid and alot of LOVE went into that.
Its all about marketing and getting the word out there. Yes, the market sucks out there for the majority of things.

Tom P. is in the circle of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and connections. Thats what it comes down to. INMOP.

Walt

Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: