Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Engine started to "puff"

I have just barely driven my car after engine rebuild.
Yesterday I went for a small drive to measure AFR. The engine stated to jump, got fire from the exhaust and died.
I found that the wire between distributor and coil, was loose since I there was a spark to ground spark wires on distributor
I hooked up the wire and the car started but was running poorly.

Today I have tried to figure out what is wrong.
Ignition is correct, but when misfires, it jumps between Z1 (TDC) and 10 degrees.

I measured the pick-up in distributor since I was not sure if this was destroyed to to spark from coil on spark plug wires.
It was measured to 650 ohm, so I guess this is all working.

I removed all the plugs and 5 of them was dry (little to black, but running too rich)
The spark plug on cylinder 1 was wet
I checked and verified that there was spark on this spark plug.

Tomorrow I will do a compression test on cyl #1

Please help with suggestions, running out of ideas now

Next I'm thinking loose rocker arm, exhaust side??

Not a good video, but might give you a clue. The "puff" you hear is air coming back and out intake manifild

1986 944 Turbo

Last edited by totle; 05-08-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Are you sure you don't have the distributor 180* out or spark plug leads incorrect?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I went over the spark wires and the orders are correct.
When installing the distributor I installed with cyl 1 in TDC, so should be good.
Also the car was running well 2 days ago
Old 05-08-2010, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
For fun, you might try swapping out the fuel pump relays with two known good ones. The black ones will work for the test. I had a red relay go bad that controlled the front pump and my engine sounded similar to yours..... almost like I had a major engine fault. As soon as I tried accelerating the engine, it died. Relay solved the problem.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
But there was only 1 spark plug that was wet.
This would not happen if fuel pump was bad
Old 05-08-2010, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
But the other 5 were sooty. It was just an idea. It is a lot easier swapping in a couple of relays than removing a valve cover.
I just can't see an engine running fine one day and then started up a couple of days later, the exhaust rocker is loose.
IMO, of course.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
But there was only 1 spark plug that was wet.
This would not happen if fuel pump was bad I guess
Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Going to Germany the 23'rd to Nurburgring.
Need to have my car ready soon to drive and test it out before i go
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-08-2010, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You probably already did this but check all fuses especially in the engine bay.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 05-08-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

To do the spark plugs you took off the intercooler.

I would look for somthing that is making for an intake air leak and check the intercooler O ring did not get pinched.

If that dose not do it then put the CIS gauge on it and check the system and warm control pressures.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Let's start with the basics and do some very easy tests.

Unplug the green connector on top of the fuel distributor shown in the photo. DO NOT PRESS ON THE METERING PLATE as this could hydro-lock your engine with fuel........very bad.
Turn the ignition key to "On" and listen for the fuel pumps in the front of the car and at the left rear wheel well. After you've confirmed the fuel pumps are running, turn the ignition switch to "off" and reconnect the plug on the fuel distributor.

You mentioned that you got a fire out the exhaust pipe which makes me suspect the engine is being put in an over rich condition.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
YES, found the fault today.

Turned out that the plug I had made to block the whole where the AAV had been, had blown out.
I was so focused on checking ignition, that I forgot looking for air leaks. It was when a friend came over he saw a fire ball coming from the hose
I now have used a better plug and glued and sealed the whole.

Here is a picture showing what I mean

I am still running too rich.
Is it only the CO adjuster to adjust to make it more lean?

What would a typical idle AFR be at?
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Fireball? That's a new one.
I block that port with a large pipe plug and worm clamp.
Idle is 13.5:1 AFR / 3% CO. Yes mixture adjust screw does this function.
I notice that the oil breather hose hard line is not secured to the intake bolt but rather sitting on top. Engine is really clean! Nice!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Brian, picture was taken of the engine before it was put back in. It is secured:-)
Old 05-09-2010, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post
Brian, picture was taken of the engine before it was put back in. It is secured:-)
I was wondering how you got that "angle" on the picture... The camera would have had to been inside the rear fender...
Old 05-09-2010, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post
YES, found the fault today.

Turned out that the plug I had made to block the whole where the AAV had been, had blown out.
I was so focused on checking ignition, that I forgot looking for air leaks. It was when a friend came over he saw a fire ball coming from the hose
I now have used a better plug and glued and sealed the whole.

Here is a picture showing what I mean

I am still running too rich.
Is it only the CO adjuster to adjust to make it more lean?

What would a typical idle AFR be at?
If you don't have a way to verify your idle AFR settings, my mechanic always said you can push the adjustment screw in while the engine is idling. If the idle goes down initially [the split second you depress the screw], then you're too rich at idle. If the idle goes up initially, you're too lean.

Now, this is only for idle mixture adjustments...
Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes it's on a stand as the throttle cable is not connected. The heads up on the tube was to get that fixed before the engine goes in. Ask me how I know, ha!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

As it was getting spark and fuel I thought it sounded like a leak in the intake tract but never would have guessed that one.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
What get's me is the plugs were sooty and wet, the engine ran(barely) in the video posted above, with that big air leak in the intake tract. It really shouldn't of started at all or started and immediately stopped.
Something still isn't right with this engine.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
It might have been ignition issue as well.
I removed distributor cap and checked. Re-ired the spark wires.
Adjusted AFR today from 9 to 13,5 at idle.
Engine is running fine at idle and boost. Will log AFR now.
One strange thing I noticed today was that when accelerating in a turn, left or right, it seems like engine is loosing ignition or fuel, and stuttering and ends with a bang in the exhaust.
When accelerating straightforward all is well
Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: