Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
R.I.P.

a/c condensor placement ideas

ok, as some of you know I just installed a full bay intercooler on my 930. What to do with the condensor?!? I see some kits that mount one in the front fender, rear fender, under the car yada yada yada. They all seem unusually expensive for what you get. So I poked around under my car holding the factory rear condensor here and there looking for a good spot. Then I came across Griffiths, they mount theirs in the rear fender behind the tire. Sure enough there is a big cavity there. My stock condensor fits in there perfectly and leaves room for a small fan to be attached for greater cooling. Now it doesn't have to sit over the engine and cook like saturdays kabobs, it's down in the fender away from most of the engine heat and will draw in cool air from the fender. Any thoughts?

oh yeah, I will build a sheet metal "shield" to protect it from tire debris
Old 07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

We have been down that road, Try the Griffiths unit that mounts ahead of the left rear tire, The installation behind the tire is too close to the hotter components under the engine, we use a pressure switch to control the fan included with the unit, Adding a baffle and a small underhood scoop complete the installation. This unit working in conjunction with the front aux. condenser has been working very well on 2 cars we have done so far, The area of this unit is slightly more than the stock main condenser, I am in the process of converting my own car as described, The gentleman at Griffiths prefers both rear units be installed on a 930 but my opinion is that you can achieve the desired results with just one rear unit ahead of the rear tire,

Sorry I don't have photos of the installations but those cars should be at the meet next saturday.

Lou / AERO DYNAMICS
Old 07-17-2010, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've got this kit in front of my left rear wheel along with a bunch of other upgrades.
The Griffiths set up is very good.. and this one is bigger, also serpentine, and cost less.
Zim's Autotechnik 911 A/C COOL Kit, 78-86
Old 07-17-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
964/993 condensor should fit easily in your fender giving you more condensor capacity than your stock one. Here is one in my SC fender:

Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I used a 993 condensor in the front driver's fender. Works great.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 07-18-2010, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Thanks, I've read up on this and it seems some of these companies want you to run 3 or 4 condensors. Is that because of the size needed to fit in the tight locations? Most "normal" cars only need one big condensor and they manage to blow ice cold air on the hottest days. I always seem to follow the path of most resistance and try to re-invent the wheel. Maybe it's the tinkerer (is that a word?) in me. My a/c actually worked pretty good before I removed the condensor, so moving it to a cooler location can only improve things.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There is still a long narrow condensor on the bottom of the front suspension pan with a really weak fan in the luggage compartment blowing down through it on your car if it hasn't been removed.

If going full bay intercooler the best places for the AC condensor is in front of the left rear wheel. There is lots of room there.

Then take out the big washer bottle in front of the left front wheel (it rubs on big tires during fast right turns and full lock right turns sometimes anyway) and you still have the small washer bottle next to the master cylinder.

Then mount another serpentine condensor with fan where the washer bottle was. 964/993condensors will fit there and you have to have fans on all of them or they won't do squat.
All the condensor are hooked up in series before the reciever dryer or procooler/receiver dryer if using one.

If you go to a big wide oil cooler in the front middle of the car then you can remove the small one from the right front fender and put another condensor with fan there if you want really freezing AC.
You could probably stick another one with a fan up above the right rear external oil thermostat if you're really crazy too... I put a large turbo scavange oil filter up there in the factory bracket where the evaporative emissions charcoal filter was.

Some people put a big underbelly condensor under the floor pan below the front seats if they can find one but it only works while the car is moving since there's no room for a fan down there.

There is also some room for another condesor with fan like the Griffiths kit next to the wastegate behind the left rear wheel but I wouldn't put one there with all the heat in that area on a turbo car.
There's already alot of rear weight bias in these cars but some folks do that installation.

You can also install a subcooler or procooler instead of a factory type reciver dryer which doesn't remove any heat from the system, but does transfer or exchange some heat from the high side over to the the low side returning to the compressor.
The stock '87 evaporator is a different design and it's better than 1985 and earlier 911 evaporators, but a new serpentine evaporator is better with R134 refrigerant.

If using the stock R12 expansion valve with R134, then you turn the allen head orifice screw/superheat adjustment in or clockwise about a half turn because R134 molecules are smaller than R12 molecules so the orifice has to be smaller and you need to change out all the origonal R12 hoses to R134 barrier hoses so the refrigerant doesn't leak out of the slightly porous R12 hose.. and there's around 40 feet of AC hose in a 930.

You can make 911/930 AC alot colder and it's the easist auto AC to service because it's an afterthought and everything is in the smugglers box so it's easy to get at compared to taking the dash and center console all apart on all newer cars.
You'll never get the air velocity out of the vents like an american car AC turned up to high though because the evaporator box and fan is too small and the AC ducting under the dash is all afterthought convoluted and restricts the air flow... but the car is small so you don't need a lot of air flow.

With all those condensors and fans your car will sound like a hovercraft at traffic lights and your alternator will hate you.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
With all those condensors and fans your car will sound like a hovercraft at traffic lights and your alternator will hate you.
hahaha, i hear ya. Since my a/c was acceptable before, I plan on just moving the condensor to the rear fender with a little fan. I can't see how it could be worse than sitting over the engine
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

A 10" fan fits the 930 condensor perfectly and 2 smaller ones will use more amperage while not cooling as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
R.I.P.

gotcha
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
R.I.P.

gotcha
Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
R.I.P.

ok, shes done. We mounted the stock condensor in the left rear fender. The fan pulls air in from the fender opening and blows it towards the engine to keep exhaust system heat away from it at idle. I didn't put a probe in the vent but she blows cold and you can't hear the fan when the engines running.

I forgot to snap some pics while it was up in the air but i'll take some if anybody is interested in the mounting locations
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
Maybe it's the tinkerer (is that a word?) in me.
Yep use it all the time!
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Are you using R12?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
R.I.P.

The a/c shop converted it to 134... we'll see
Old 07-23-2010, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

What about running a single 10.5 X 25 X 1 parallel condenser in the front air dam mounted with (2) 10" fans. I have a 930S air dam and was thinking about a after market condenser.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 07-23-2010, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
R.I.P.

when we put the IROC front bumper on we're going to move the front condensor into that oil cooler grill area with a couple of fans mounted behind it for good measure.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

I am wondering if the 10.5 X 25 condenser with 2 fans will do the the job by itself? No other condenser.....
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
R.I.P.

If you look at a typical car's condensor they are somewhere around 19" x 25" with a fan bolted directly to them. I don't think the 2 stock condensors on a 930 equal even half the surface area of other cars so the more the merrier.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
a/c condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
ok, shes done. We mounted the stock condensor in the left rear fender. The fan pulls air in from the fender opening and blows it towards the engine to keep exhaust system heat away from it at idle. I didn't put a probe in the vent but she blows cold and you can't hear the fan when the engines running.

I forgot to snap some pics while it was up in the air but i'll take some if anybody is interested in the mounting locations
I would be interested in more pics. While working on my upgrade (top end rebuild, EFI conversion, EDIS, K27HFS, 993 HE's, M&K Y pipe, Duel wg's) the topic of a full bay intercooler has come up. Along with that is my stubborness to keep my a/c for a dual purpose car (track/street). I've always lived in warm climates (AZ,West Coast FL, and TX) so a/c is like water...a must have. I also like the motto of "Run what ya brung" for track events and it make the drive back more enjoyable after a hot day at the track.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: