Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Intercooler temp before and after

Ok I have a 77 without intercooler before someone says why not just buy an intercooler.

Anyway, new to the turbo deal and have a few questions after reading some of the recent posts on water to air or meth/water injection.

I know different engine set ups will produce different intake air temps. The questions I have are:

1. What is a base temp of before the IC and after the IC.

2. What is the temp after with an aftermarket IC. I know they will vary with size and make. How much of a difference do they make?

The idea behind an intercooler is to provide a cooler denser air correct? I know there is math and different flow involved with different designs. What i am getting at is if it is possible with using meth/water or wet IC or a combo of both to produce the same results??

The water/meth is something that has to be added regularly but so does gas.

What am I missing here?? Wouldn't it also provide a less restrictive air flow from turbo to intake??? How would this effect boost?

Thanks and sorry for the somewhat basic question. Just trying to pull a couple posts together to where I can get a clear understanding and game plan as to how I want to plan my set up. I have a strong mech background and understand that mods only work when other mods are done. I just want to keep my stock tail and sort of hide all my performance additions as best I can.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNA930 View Post
1. What is a base temp of before the IC and after the IC.

2. What is the temp after with an aftermarket IC. I know they will vary with size and make. How much of a difference do they make?
The only I/C comparison figures I've ever found are on Kokelyn's web site intercooler. The figures speak for themselves.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Those numbers are very similar to what I found while running my car with no intercooler. I would regularly see temps above 200* on boost.

Now, the question is where did they take the outlet temp from? Off the actual intercooler or in the intake manifold. My sensor is in the intake manifold and I see 125-130* temps on 80*f + days with the intercooler installed. So roughly 100* is being removed by the intercooler.

Now I also ran WMI on my turbocharged 5.0 mustang before ever putting an intercooler on it. I was seing 80*-90* temp drops when the WMI came on, I was seeing 150* inlet temps in the intake.

Once the intercooler was installed:

On a 1/4 mile pass my inlet temps would start at 120* (170* engine temp), by the end of the pass my inlet temps would be just over 100*. If you were going to choose just one of the 2 options and didn't mind filling the jug I would go right to the WMI and keep your wing. But there was a benefit to running both
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've only run a full bay intercooler on my turbo, but I ran both a water-air and water-meth injection on another car. I'm pretty handy and tried many different setups for water-air, but I was never really happy with the reliability or resistance to heat soak problems. I had very good results with water-meth injection.

All approaches have pros and cons. The water-meth is great for reducing the throttled air mass (improves responsiveness). Water-air is compact but the plumbing is complicated. Air-air has more throttled air mass than the other two (usually) but can be very effective with very little complexity.

If I was trying to keep the stock engine lid, I'd go for water-meth.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That is what I am leaning towards but I have never used set up before. I just can't see it being as effective as an intercooler but for the investment and ease of install what the heck.

I am surprised that it actually would decrease temps that close to an intercooler. I wonder how much cooler than say a stock intercooler? Also does the benefit of no pressure loss through the cooler make it even more effective? The only shortfall is filing up but then with say a 2 gallon tank it would be near a tank of gas with a electronic mgt.

Why is everybody paying $2500-$3000 for intercoolers??
Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
I dont know... I paid just under $1400 for mine... new, shipped to my door, full width I/C... If you want a bolt up, I/C and still use your A/C....then you will have to pay the price....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 10-22-2010, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

subd
Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
An intercooler to fit a '77 deck lid would be custom which is where the expense comes in. My bolt-on for the '78-on is in line with the pricing Brad quoted.
If you are relying on some sort of charge air cooling to safely run the engine on boost a properly set up intercooler is worry free. No fluid maintenance or electricals/pumps to fail. If the charge air cooling is just for free HP that issue goes away.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Dont write off the power of latent heat of vaporisation of water I think you get a better cooling effect from WMI than a intercooler both in combo is better I will do some testing when I get WMI install and the charge temp gauge and I found a place that has intercoolers similar to mine in various sizes for 3-400 dollars the prices you see are the porsche markup on these parts.

Quote:
That is what I am leaning towards but I have never used set up before. I just can't see it being as effective as an intercooler but for the investment and ease of install what the heck.

I am surprised that it actually would decrease temps that close to an intercooler. I wonder how much cooler than say a stock intercooler? Also does the benefit of no pressure loss through the cooler make it even more effective? The only shortfall is filing up but then with say a 2 gallon tank it would be near a tank of gas with a electronic mgt.

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: