Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 930 turbo Gearbox problem..:-(

Greating to all members my name is Gerardeau. I have a Red 1984 Porsche 930 turbo currently from South Africa .Anyway the gearbox is giving me some problems and need some advice as to what the problem might be please.Today was driving her and every tI'me I change gears on the 4 speed box when releasing the clutch I get a clunk noise as I'm releasing the clutch half way and another noise when I release the clutch full into the gear.Also when i release the accelerator in a gear at a low rev it has a clunk noise with a like kick back feel.The shifter is pretty loose to. Please help..

Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Have you changed the clutch on it? It sounds like the rubber center clutch exploded but I am not sure if 930s had those or if it was only 911SCs.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No didnt change the clutch.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The weird thing is there is no change in performance and the gearbox is still changing gears just with those symtoms involved in the gear changing.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sounds like it could be a worn cv joint or maybe loose bolts on the cv.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Could be the rubber center is stuffed - mine did similar. If the center is broken, it simply takes up the slack on the dogs - so ... slop, clunk, slop... clunk.
You could try slow speed coasting (1st gear) throttle, no throttle etc. see if it slop/clunks.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Infidel

Almost certainly the rubber center on the clutch..... I drove mine like that for a few thousand miles before changing it, no issues, just a little annoying
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If your rubber center clutch disc decided not to work here anymore you want one of these Pelican Parts - Product Information: 930-116-014-02-M38

It will replace the rubber center one in there if thats what you have and your pressure plate is probably good. Might be a good idea to replace the throwout bearing and crankshaft pilot bearing while you're at it and check your motor and transmission rubber center mounts for dry rot or cracks.

I would also ask around and see if either of these discs would fit since they cost alot less. You don't need the spring center if you match revs and shift smoothly.
Don't hammer gear shifts and you'll never know the springs aren't there. Racing clutch discs don't have springs and springs are just something else to break.
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 964-116-014-63-M38
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 928-116-013-28-M38

These 2 solid center clutch discs are for dual mass flywheels on little bit newer cars and I have no idea if either of these discs would dimensionally fit a 930, flywheel, pressure plate, or input shaft.
If they are the same dimensions, splines, offset, and fit, they should work.

I've installed solid center dual mass flywheel sachs clutch discs for the newer BMW's in regular old single mass flywheel 6 cylinder BMW sachs clutches for the older cars and they worked fine.
Cost less than the spring center disc and the solid center disc handles more torque with no springs to compress.

anyway, this is just a thought...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the help.If im in 4th and im doing say 80km/h and pull off the accelerator it makes that like shaft noise.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Either it clonks on/off throttle or not. If it is - most likely clutch center. If not, check your CVJs are tight - the ones on the g/box side of tranny.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

if the noise came more from the front it could be a loose jack flopping back and forth in front of the spare tire.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: