Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Madsimilius

Garage
930 MS3X and 3.2 intake questions.

I think i have all the parts i need and am about to start my efi conversion, but i wanna make shure ive got everything right before i begin, so that ill be able to use my car this summer :P

I have a complete 3.2 intake manifold with all Cables ,hoses and "adaptors?"
Megasquirt 3X with ms relay board.
Lc-1 broadband controller and sensor.
GM Open Element IAT Sensor.
carrera 3.2 head temp sensor.
Delphi 75 lb/hr EV1 Style Fuel Injectosr - Low-Z.
IGN-6 Six-Tower Coil Pack.

Im wondering about a few things.
1. do i need the damper that looks like the fuel pressure regulator? if not can i take the air hose that goes to it and insert it in the ms3x?
2. How do i connect the fuel hoses ? what do i use from my 930 stuff after the fuel pump?
3. How do i connect the 6 coil pack to the relay board
4. Can i use the signal from the distributer ? and how do i connect it ?
5. Not shure about the 3.2 head temp sensor voltage ? and not any of the throttlebody electronics either.

im probably gonna need to ask more questions but i think this will do for now, but if anyone comes up with something i should think of i would be happy to know

Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

1. You may be fine without the damper as long as you run sequential. The damper helped dampen fuel pressure pulses when the factory batch-fire, fired all 6 injectors at once.

2. Can't answer, did my conversion on a 3.2.

3. I believe that is documented in the MegaManual.

4. If there's a variable reluctor inside the 930 distributor, than yes. But using Ford EDIS is pretty simple to add and gives you huge bang for buck in streetable driving. I can dial over 50 degrees part-throttle cruise timing for super good gas mileage.

5. The Bentley manual gives you ohms to temp parameters to plug into TunerStudio. Very simple. GM coolant temp is already pre-determined and use a '90's BMW TPS (any model but 318) on the Carrera throttlebody.

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The relay board is really useless especially for MS3X, so I don't recommend it.

A couple of thoughts. I have the 3.2 CHT sensor but I only monitor it and don't use it for warm up purposes. I found a sensor in the chain box or breather cover (current setup) gave me better correlation.
Second, the 3.2L throttle position sensor will not work, you'll need to source an alternative. I use the one from Clewett.
You may be able to modify your distributor to work but it needs some sort of toothed wheel setup. An easier approach is to get a crank pulley and go with a 36-1 or 60-2 wheel with a VR sensor. If you are not going sequential that is all you need. For sequential, you need either a single toothed wheel in the distributor or a toothed wheel on the crank and a single toothed wheel somewhere on the cam (I have one in the turbo scavenge pump).
The simplest approach is non-sequential with an EDIS ignition controller and VR sensor with a 36-1 wheel on the crank.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Madsimilius

Garage
Ok then ill go and get a tps from a beamer, shouldnt be to hard to find in Norway
Cant i use the ms3x for controling the ignition, and cant i use the relay box with ms3x? i already have alt the parts on the list above, hmm :/
Im not going sequensial, at least not for a while, and im not realy looking for to much power until i change the transmission (915 wevo) to a 930 or g50, but gas is EXPENSIVE in Norway, and i want my car more reliable and useable. hopefully i can run the injectors at 60% ish without any problems until the tranny is changed. (80% is what ive heard is optimal)

Thank you guys for the help this far!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Madsimilius

Garage
Ok so i read a bit more and found out that i need at ignition module to be able to use the ms3x for ignition control. Is the quadspark from diyautotuning any good?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Unless I forgot something, I think MS III has all the ignition control you need??
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Madsimilius

Garage
It does, but it only sends weak triggering signals. some coils have built in ignition modules/ignition amplifiers, but mine does not so ill need the Spark Four ignition module or something similiar.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Madsimilius

Garage
Are you sure the Bmw tps by the way ? is it from the e36 models or ?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Yep. Early to mid-'90's TPS from 3, 5, and 7 series minus 318's
Old 05-27-2013, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Bad LT

I dumped all the stock fuel lines and damper in the bin and started again with new lines and AN fittings. You can get AN to metric converters to join up with the fuel rails.

As others have said crank trigger wheel and pick up will give you the best signal for the ecu. I've gone with a 60 -2 wheel as it offers greater control with my Haltech ECU.

+2 on Clewett. I found those guys great to deal with.

Crank triggers : Clewett Engineering, The complete solution for ignition & fuel injection
Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Madsimilius

Garage
Good then ill go tps hunting very soon! If the distributor vr signal is good enough to get "distributorless" ignition i will use it for now. but i would guess it sends less information then the triggerwheel ?

Again, thank you guys for the help
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsimilius View Post
Good then ill go tps hunting very soon! If the distributor vr signal is good enough to get "distributorless" ignition i will use it for now. but i would guess it sends less information then the triggerwheel ?

Again, thank you guys for the help
You need a missing tooth wheel in the distributor or on the crank (or non-missing tooth wheel with a TDC indicator wheel and corresponding sensor). The advantage of having a wheel in the distributor is you can run sequential with that alone. The disadvantage is lower crank position resolution.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Madsimilius

Garage
Thank you this far guys !
I have figured out most of the ms3x wiring, but have hit some more trouble.

1. power from fuel pump relay. first of all i cant find a schematic or picture that tell me where its locatet, and do i need to stretch at cable all the way from the front fuse box or is there some where i can get power from the fuel pump relay or similar in the engine bay?

2. If anyone has a link to a good 78 911sc and or 930 wiring schematics it would help alot!

I have figured out most of the ms3x wiring
Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Send me an email (at my username) and I'll reply with some 930 and MS3X wiring diagrams.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 06-08-2013, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: