Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
But if anyone has a better way please do tell rather than telling jokes it serves no purpose and doesn't offer any practical solution to a potentially hazardous problem, many fire accidents can be averted with these simple fixes, and if you cant see that then thats ok too i assume your the types that just take the car to a mechanic and pay $500 to get plugs changed cos you think the engine needs to be dropped

Ignorance is bliss
Sure man, no problem.....

First off, get that nasty crap off of your fuel line connections. Seriously, I'm not joking...

It looks like a nice way to get a small piece of silicone inside your fuel system next time you have to disconnect something.

Secondly, how about doing a methodical check of your ALL your fuel lines, connections and of course the evap system including the gas cap. Replace the crush washers when you disconnect something. Buy high quality replacement parts. This isn't the place to save a buck or cheap out. When you disconnect something make sure everything is clean and burr free before you re-assemble it.

One trick that I do when assembling banjo connections is to partially thread the banjo bolt in and then give the connection a good shot of brake clean to make sure there is nothing between the mating surfaces. Then tighten it down properly.

You can pressurize the system while the engine is hot and cold. Get yourself an inspection mirror and look over the whole fuel system and visually check everything.

Secondly, I can't stand electrical tape in an engine bay. It turns soft, leaves a nasty residue and hold moisture underneath it. Invest in some quality wiring supplies and tools.

Hope it helps..

Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I believe Robbbyg has a good point here, very clever... (regardless of all of the above BS)...keep them coming. Thanks man!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmwguy View Post
last time i sniffed my fingers while trying to find something i was in grade school:d
lmao!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Robby, can you pls post some updates to your roof replacement?
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 10-28-2014, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarrier View Post
Sure man, no problem.....

First off, get that nasty crap off of your fuel line connections. Seriously, I'm not joking...

It looks like a nice way to get a small piece of silicone inside your fuel system next time you have to disconnect something.

ill peel off silicone before removing lines so thats no issue

Secondly, how about doing a methodical check of your ALL your fuel lines, connections and of course the evap system including the gas cap. Replace the crush washers when you disconnect something. Buy high quality replacement parts. This isn't the place to save a buck or cheap out. When you disconnect something make sure everything is clean and burr free before you re-assemble it.

Already done that my lines are in excellent ocndition including my injectors, i posted this a while back when i took the system out, i dont need to buy any parts because iim using the parts that are in excellent ocndition ewhen the car was made, the fuel lines are all factory solid stainless steel they will outlast the car, crush washers are new and torqued correctly,

One trick that I do when assembling banjo connections is to partially thread the banjo bolt in and then give the connection a good shot of brake clean to make sure there is nothing between the mating surfaces. Then tighten it down properly.

You can pressurize the system while the engine is hot and cold. Get yourself an inspection mirror and look over the whole fuel system and visually check everything.

Secondly, I can't stand electrical tape in an engine bay. It turns soft, leaves a nasty residue and hold moisture underneath it. Invest in some quality wiring supplies and tools.

Thats a good point note that the Porsche factory wrapped all the harnesses that travel under the fuel head in electrical tape, I dont have any electrical tape around any fuel lines personally, but i may have a while back, now i use a dab of silicone over each fuel line join, its an extra security on top of the pre-existing correct connections that have been checked and removed and re-installed many many times, my System pressure is tight as a drum as is the compression , and leakdown.

I cant stress this enough, the silicone mod is only used on top of presecured correct lines as a backup if something should go wrong, say the injector at plug number 1 was leaking and you were driving and smelled the fuel so you turn off the car you walk around do a visual inspection but cant see anything wrong, so you feel around but everything is dry, so you might think i must have a blocked breather hose in the tank or a fuel pump is leaking..
theres so many possibilities to make an incorrect diagnosis because of the speed at which fuel evaporates

But with a dab of silicone you only need to touch each banjo or injector connection and the wet one will tell you instantly where the problem is, then you get a dry rag and wipe it off easily and fix the line.

It will be slimy yes but its a 100% way of knowing where theleak is and can save lots of time and money in searching for it,

Hope it helps..
Thanks for your input i respect your point of view,
but this system works for me and gives me added security of knowing exactly where the problem lies should it ever arise.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJL View Post
Robby, can you pls post some updates to your roof replacement?
Yes will do see other post today/tonight
Just got the window door frames
So i can make some good progress now.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
I believe Robbbyg has a good point here, very clever... (regardless of all of the above BS)...keep them coming. Thanks man!
Thanks Miguel that's appreciated
Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
With all due respect and I mean ALL due respect.

I think your wrong.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I think J.C. Whitney has found its new spokesperson!!!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 10-28-2014, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Robby, I'd click on the lock thread function. Nothing positive has been posted since your original post and this thread resurfaced and turned into a dogpile.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 10-28-2014, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Despite my earlier comment, I don't think anybody is really out to blast you Robby, it's just your approach is a bit dare I say hillbillyish or a little naive. If you have ever really had a fuel leak in these systems I think you would better understand some of the previously made comments. These things simply don't just weep a bit...they spray like a fire hose.

With that being said, I've had my system apart before to clean all of the old injectors, replace the needed "O" rings in the fuel head and such, so yes I do know about taking these things apart myself. I'm not the "take it to a mechanic for the $500 spark plug change" kinda guy.

With the fuel pressures that these ol' CIS systems use, there really is no question as to where you have a fuel leak...they ain't subtle. There is none of this "viewing where the leak is and fixing it when you get home" shenanigans. If you have a leak you have a very serious, stop everything your doing, shut it off, grab a fire extinguisher right f*$%ing now situation.

Maybe that is why your getting a little flak about your suggestion...wink, wink, nod, nod, say no more, say no more.

Mark
Old 10-28-2014, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Banned

I wonder if silicone sealer applied to one's back door would be a good way to check for a leaky bungholio?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
^you'd need a 5gal vat to seal up your plowed out infinite chasm!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
^you'd need a 5gal vat to seal up your plowed out infinite chasm!
Paul, it looks like you are applying for the sealer applicator job - thanks for the offered help! And thanks for the FU in the "Paul's Pantywaist Adventures" thread!!!

Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I just went over to Robby's "new roof" post....all I can now say is WOW.

I had no idea what was really going on, now I understand all of the comments.

Mark
Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

^^^^ You and me both!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: