Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

P201 Engine Adapter - HF Engine Stand Question

Hello,

A separate longer thread will follow regarding a semi ambitious project begun in earnest last weekend.

In the mean time I have an immediate problem and could use some assistance in coming up with a solution.

The engine from my 930 currently sits in my courtyard separated from the mother ship which rests in my garage. This is very much related to the other thread I plan to create this later weekend.

I need to mount my engine to the new Harbor Freight 2000 lb engine stand I purchased and assembled today with the help of my dad. The 2000 lb version seemed the better option as it wasn't much more expensive and the collapsible legs allow for better storage.

I have purchased the P201 engine adapter yolk from Pelican. The yolk shaft fits within the adapter plate/cylinder sleeve on the stand itself but the hole used to lock it in place does not line up properly. If I remove the adapter plate, the shaft from the yolk is too loose when mated to the engine stand cylinder so that won't work.

I feel like I need a new 'sleeve' to replace the existing adapter/sleeve with new holes drilled out. Is this normal or am I overthinking things?

My German supervisor in the background offering little help. Final photo looks fine until I upload it then it goes crooked.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Funny, I just bought the 750 pound stand today, and an engine yoke off eBay. I can't currently address your issue- probably not for ten days or so. But I will be following your thread.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you or a friend has a welder do this. Drill out the hole in the stand sleeve and the adapter sleeve so a 1/2 bolt will fit thru it. Take a 1/2" nut and weld it on top of the hole in the stand sleeve. Then take a 1/2 Gr. 8 bolt and grind the end to a flat point. Thread it into the nut and you can lock the engine into any position you want to by tightening it against the yoke shaft.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
i just drilled new holes through the yolk. It's takes a good bit and some patience, but it's a piece o cake. Good luck with the build!
83 SC Cab - Guards Red [SOLD]
Old 11-27-2015, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

I cut a plastic milk carton and wrapped the p201 until the plastic took up the slack.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I would think you use one or the other.

Mount studs thru the adapter plate and leave p yoke over in the corner or use p yoke and have it loose until you put the engine or tranny on it.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
beancounter

Overthinking it.

The P201 doesn't need to fit tightly into the stand. When you have 400lbs on there you won't notice any slack.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Jake is spot on; while there is nothing wrong with the anti-slack (different than Paul's anti-sack situation) measures other people mentioned (including Kenik's milk carton condom solution), there is no need to be concerned with the not-tight fit (Norm can relate).
Old 11-27-2015, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When I worked at a Porsche restoration facility there were around 10 motor stands and yokes around. Original grey German ones.
I never saw any of them shimmed welded or whatever. Sometimes someone stuck a screwdriver into the hole to keep the motor from rotating while working on it.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Overthinking it.

The P201 doesn't need to fit tightly into the stand. When you have 400lbs on there you won't notice any slack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
When I worked at a Porsche restoration facility there were around 10 motor stands and yokes around. Original grey German ones.
I never saw any of them shimmed welded or whatever. Sometimes someone stuck a screwdriver into the hole to keep the motor from rotating while working on it.
^^Yep, what they said!

And I have a least two motors currently on regular engine yokes w/ spacers and shims. They work too.
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 11-28-2015, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Brian I agree with the slack comment. Take a look at putting the black piece in the backside (yeah, here it comes...), so the flat plate is facing away from the motor. Align so p201 hole aligns with hole on the red part. Drill a new hole in the black tube only...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 11-28-2015, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

So, I've punted for now while i consider using the milk carton condom approach, the black piece in the backside trick with some drilling or quite possibly the 'hooker' method where there is lots of slack in the hole.

We were also considering shimming with wood

The gap in our case is not inconsequential. It's a full half inch when the P201 rests inside the mount without the black adapter that came with the engine stand. It seems like quite an angle if I don't at least shim.

Today we broke my friends hydraulic lift in an attempt to lift the motor onto the stand. At this point we moved the motor from its pallet to the legs of the engine stand with a moving blanket to aid in sliding the motor and a 2x4 to provide some extra support. Other than the fact that I cannot rotate and get to the bottom of the motor it works quite well for mobility.

The motor with all the dressings and exhaust attached is one heavy mother. She don't move easily. I'm thinking about getting a hole drilled into the black sleeve to match the P201. I would need a matching hole in the engine stand cylinder.

Or, I will shim the existing hole if I can't find anyone to drill the holes for me.

I'm going to rent a proper engine hoist cherry picker type to aid in getting the motor on the stand. I may just disassemble a large portion of the motor to lighten the load and then see if I can get some help to muscle it into place. This will depend on if I get things drilled out or if I shim. If shimming it will be better to have the hoist to hold the motor in place while the shims are installed.

Last edited by bleachii; 11-28-2015 at 09:06 PM..
Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
+1 on the poly-milk bottle approach. It makes rotation so-o-o-o much easier.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 11-29-2015, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachii View Post
The gap in our case is not inconsequential. It's a full half inch when the P201 rests inside the mount without the black adapter that came with the engine stand. It seems like quite an angle if I don't at least shim.
Your stand may have a larger opening. I've got the smaller HF stand and while the engine yoke isn't a snug fit, the amount of play does not create any issues. My current project has been hanging on this stand for the better part of a year.

Good luck on your project. That's a very clean looking '79 you have there.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Yes Jacob I believe the diameter is larger than the model you are using. And here I thought the larger version would be better. Maybe I should have used the smaller one.

22k on the ODO but as we all know they don't like sitting around.

Appreciate everyones input here.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachii View Post
Yes Jacob I believe the diameter is larger than the model you are using. And here I thought the larger version would be better. Maybe I should have used the smaller one.

22k on the ODO but as we all know they don't like sitting around.

Appreciate everyones input here.
Any update on this???
I bought the same engine stand and have the same problem as you.... what did you do to fix your issue??
Old 09-28-2017, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Did you seriously buy a tool from Harbor Freight and not expect to have to modify it or correct a design or manufacturing problem?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

The heavier duty Harbor Freight engine stand fits the 5 arm yoke that VW Alley sells on EBay. It goes for about $150, shipped. I am using it right now. Might be easier to return the P201 and buy that.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: