Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

It sure looks good doesn't it. With zinc plated nuts and bolts this engine's going to look almost new again!

I almost choked when I saw the cost of the ARP rod bolts and head studs but when you factor in the volume they sell and the quality it made it much more justifiable. Plus I got a sweet work matt.

The cylinders and pistons going onto the rods proved to be a bit of a PITA since the snap rings Mahle provides aren't exactly easy to work with but in the end it all worked out.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Wow beautiful and this build is moving fast.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Awesome thanks for sharing. Following along!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to R6XTERRA
Absolutely stunning so far. Can't wait to see the final result.

Do you plan on driving it back? This is something I want to do with my wife. I think it would be an amazing experience.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I was going to drive it back but that evaporated when I couldn't find a carrier to ship the car down to TurboKraft for a reasonable amount. The CDN dollar being in the dumpster meant it would have been a $3,000+ expense one way so I towed it down myself which means I'll be towing it home.

A good friend of mine, Tony at UMS Tuning used to rebuild 930 transmissions so he graciously offered to rebuild mine while I watched.

The 4 speed is actually not as complex as I expected and Tony had it torn apart in a few hours.

After some inspection, my 2nd and 3rd gear dog rings were worn out as well as the sliders. I also bought 4 new synchros since it just made sense to replace them all while everything is apart.

If you look closely you can see one of the dog rings cut in pieces. It was a massive pain in the ass to remove it, requiring a cutting disk and plenty of cursing and swearing. Tony spent over an hour removing both gears!

I'll have a full video documenting the process done in a few weeks but in the meantime I'll post any other photos of the rebuild once we complete it.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

A+ thread, love to see the work in process
Old 03-17-2016, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to R6XTERRA
I want to get a shipper to take my car down, but $3k is ridiculous.

I had mine brought up from Florida 8 years ago with TFX, door to door for $1600 enclosed trailer white gloved.

I may have to rethink this one or do some serious digging. I am not about to drive 60 hours to take a car down.

Ps, We are trading at 1.29 this morning ( I trade at least a few times a month). I am all over the dollar waiting to buy. If we hit mid 1.25 I am all over it. I think this will happen soon enough.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2016, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Exchange rate is brutal for Canadians right now. Makes a nice vacation in Banff or Osoyoos cheap for us Yankees, though.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 03-17-2016, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Pete, are you saying that you and your wife are staying around TK until they're done?!? If yes then that's really something having your engine and tranny (oops...I meant gearbox Ronnie...) rebuilt while you're hanging around. Normally one would drop car off then pick it up months later.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Here's what I'm working with for my fuel system upgrade.

Ive got a set of AEM 380LPH inline pumps which are Bosch 044 style but don't cost nearly as much.

I'm using all Vibrant hose and fittings in black. I've been using a lot of their fittings and hoses lately since they are local manufacturer (Toronto) and really love the quality of their stuff. Plus the price point isn't bad either.

Last is the Fuel Pressure Regulator from Turbosmart. I've used this thing on a few of my builds and love how compact it is.

For reference, Im using all -6AN lines as it's plenty adequate for my EFI fueling needs.

Chris sent my heads out to have all new hardware installed. We got larger valves and better valve springs and retainers.

Here's the engine where we last left off. The Mahle 3.4L pistons and cylinders are on and we're ready for the heads.

Of course, more loctite 574 was used, Chris and Mike use this stuff every where there's a chance of oil leaking which I appreciate so much. I definitely don't want to see any dripping after this rebuild.

Can I call this a complete longblock because I'm not up to the terminology with these engines. Anyways, the whole process of timing these engines is really unique, one which I documented for my video series.

I bought these headers off my buddy who didn't end up using them on his 930. Apparently, they are Kenny McNeil headers?

I really didn't need to change out my Tial 46mm wastegate but figured what the heck, the Turbosmart one is never, more compact so why not give it a try. Plus I really like the v-band setup on it.

John, the fabricator over at TurboKraft has been modifying all my existing parts to work with my new setup including my Andial Intercooler which needed some holes plugged and new brackets made up.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Here's TurboKraft's EFI conversion fuel rails and billet injector blocks. This kit is absolutely stunning in person. After having Chris explain the features to me I can see that he's put in a lot of R&D to ensure these are durable and work flawlessly.

Another mod that needs to be done in order to run EFI is the throttle body needs a TPS. No problem, Chris has the solution for that with a new shaft and additional fitting on the side of the TB.

The TurboKraft fuel lines and injector blocks fit up so well along side my manifold that I painted black. I'm running ID1000 injectors in case you're wondering.

Here's just a cool shot from below.

I'm going to be running a Garrett GTX 3582R as my turbo but we're installed a smaller GRTX 3076R turbo first to see how it does. Odds are the turbo is too small but this back to back test will provide real world results as to why or why not.

Mike got as far as installing the wiring harness, FPR, TB and fuel lines before we ended today. I'm so excited to see this motor finally coming together. It's just a shame that we've been waiting for parts for many days now because this build would be further along but that's the nature of the business I'm finding.

I've never been patient with shops but now I get why there are so many delays. They can't control when parts arrive and when they're on back order. Still though, I'm happy we've come as far as we have in the time frame. I need to get home soon but will be hanging out until we're done here!
Old 03-22-2016, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
gdamn that's some nice bit of progress there - and them headers (and all the rest of the work) is fookin GNARLY

jealous 8-)!

beautiful shots too, btw

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Nice
Old 03-22-2016, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Fun to watch your build - progress looks pretty fast to me!
Iain - 1981 930 #642
Old 03-22-2016, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Very nice. The turbo comparison will be interesting, I'm assuming they will have to dyno with each one for tuning. I see they still use the 574 on the case seam. Concerns with Threebond snakes on the inside? What cams are you using?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Very nice. The turbo comparison will be interesting, I'm assuming they will have to dyno with each one for tuning?
this
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Injector Dynamics = Good Stuff.

Great build. Can't wait to see the results.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 03-23-2016, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Thats it when i grow up i am definitely taking my car to tk...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Wow sure a nice thread thanks for all the info and wow, i've been watching your videos on Youtube and didn't realize you were from Toronto.

My 930 motor is currently stripped down to the bare cam towers, heads, cylinder and case, I would love to be going as deep as you for a full rebuild. I'm looking for a cam & lifter overheating problem, I think we have a cause pinned but if we're wrong, I may be going deeper very soon
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I've been told there are several options for sealing but the 574 has worked for them and the factory so they stick with it.

I'm running a set of 964 cams from Web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Very nice. The turbo comparison will be interesting, I'm assuming they will have to dyno with each one for tuning. I see they still use the 574 on the case seam. Concerns with Threebond snakes on the inside? What cams are you using?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: