Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Case savers, who makes them and what type?

When rebuilding a mag case I know we put case savers in them.

Does anyone know the manufacturers name and specs (part number) for the case savers used for the head studs ?

When they are put in what type of glue is used to bond them to the mag case ?
Old 06-09-2004, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

get the time certs here from our host
Old 06-09-2004, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks, I had no idea they sold that.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well as usual, I searched for Time Cert and Case Saver on the Pelican web site and got a hundred things I did not want and not what I wanted. Could not find it.

So anyone know what I am looking for and where to get it ?
Old 06-09-2004, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Time- serts make time bombs

I agree with Wayne on this one. If you use Time-serts in mag cases for heads stud threads you're asking for trouble.
We do you time-serts to repair/upgrade the four 8mm studs in the mag case that must be inserted when doing an overhaul. I recommend that you have a machine shop install Case Savers because case inserts for head studs should be installed on a mill ( like a Bridgeport). If you install them by hand the studs end up going in all directions. In our shop this is called a " porcupine case" and these cases are a nightmare. They make the installation of cylinders almost impossible (certainly anything but pleasant). Many quality shops like SUPERTEC provide this service. Seek and yea shall find.

As for "old technology", we have been using Case Savers for 35 years, ever sense our VW days.

On a more human note:
President Reagon GOD BLESS YOU and REST IN PEACE.

On a political note:
Mr. Kerry " WHY THE LONG FACE ?"
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 06-10-2004 at 05:59 AM..
Old 06-10-2004, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

I dono if W.D. sells them or not.....thought he did. One thing I am thinkin is if you have a mag case (this is not to scare ya and it works out well) there are several updates that should be done while apart..some required some are options (dowl pin and boat tail) I would concider the oil mod as a req. as well as the line bore chec as they all seem to wonder out of the strait zone.......there only 30 yr old ya know!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Where can I buy the case savers ????

Who sells them and what is the part number ??
Old 06-10-2004, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

Ist- call Darrin at the parts counter here at P.P. if that dose not work Ill give ya an other clue.....just want to support the mother ship
Old 06-10-2004, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

HELP,

I called Pelican and they did not know what I was talking about, now I am lost, so does anyone know who makes the case savers, the companys name and what part number ?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

look in your P.M. box
Old 06-10-2004, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
If PP doesn't we do

We got them. The problem with ordering Case Savers is that there are different sizes. Unless you know which one your case needs, it's hard to buy the right one.
I advise that this operation be performed by a professional machine shop.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Re: Case savers, who makes them and what type?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mukilteo911
When rebuilding a mag case I know we put case savers in them.

Does anyone know the manufacturers name and specs (part number) for the case savers used for the head studs ?

When they are put in what type of glue is used to bond them to the mag case ?
I would guess that they are something like Keenserts. I suspect that the folks that are using them consider that info (you requested) proprietory. The VW bug people must have had the same problems, maybe you can search that universe?
-Chris
Old 06-10-2004, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Re: If PP doesn't we do

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry Schmidt
We got them. The problem with ordering Case Savers is that there are different sizes. Unless you know which one your case needs, it's hard to buy the right one.
I advise that this operation be performed by a professional machine shop.
That's basically what I found out when researching the Engine Rebuild book. This is not a DIY part of the job.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 06-10-2004, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have gone through the same investigations: Case savers are not sold singularly, there is several machine shops who use them for in house use only. Time-certs are certified by VW and Porsche for the head strud repair.
http://www.wuerth.de/de/produkte/auto/time-sert.html
Talking to Steve Weiner at Rennsportsystems he suggested that time-certs are just fine for my application (2.7RS stock). For racing applications other rules govern, so listen to the experts with a lot of trial and error experience!
Using the proper mounting plate it is well possible to mount the time-certs properly: In my case all struds are straight up and cylinders are easy to install.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

This can't be rocket science, first look into using the inserts in Enco Catalogue, pp. 658 & 659.

Next, find or make a jig as a drill guide. This can't be too hard since the jib could be made big enough to bolt into the other existing fastners on th engine and supported quite flat on the case spigots. Check the depth so you don't drill so deep as to go through the case. Make sure the studs you are using will hold the loads from combustion.

One problem: it might be hard to find metric inserts but I think the differences between metric and US standards will fall in acceptable tolerance limits.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Try Reid Tool (reidtool.com) they sell inserts called "keylocking threaded inserts". We use them all the time in aluminum and magnesium; have never had a failure.

John
Old 06-11-2004, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

well this is not that hard.....I have to guess this is for the cyl. studs right??? call Rick Clewitt he is advertized in most P. car publications,,he even lent me the install tool. Good Guy he is
Old 06-11-2004, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by AndreasLanghoff
Talking to Steve Weiner at Rennsportsystems he suggested that time-certs are just fine for my application (2.7RS stock).
I disagree with Steve on this. See page 36 of the book, were I show how Time-Serts can pull out of the case.

Funny - both Henry and I recommend having a shop doing this procedure. And I'm a huge advocate of doing everything yourself, if it indeed can be done. It's not something that I would try in my own garage here at home, as I don't have a milling machine. Yet, no one seems to listen. I've seen a bunch of screwed up cases from people who thought they knew what they were doing...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 06-11-2004, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Wayne, you are absolutely right that this work should be done in a professional workshop. I had discussed the issue already in February with my workshop. They have more than 25 years of 911 experience, doing also 356 and many vintage engines (Mille Miglia starts in town!). As I can judge they do at least 10 911 engines a year.In the seventies they did many 2.4 ->2.7 conversions. The problem of the head struds that you are talking so much in America here in Italy does not seem to exist. The workshop has not had particular problems with pulled head struds, yes sometimes one of the (not head-) struds in the case needs a helicoil, but that's all about it. We are talking about stock engines and not about raced engines.

Nevertheless I enquired about all these case saver stories:
I phoned to 3 places in the US to find out, Pelican Parts didn't know about it, a California machine workshop would only do the complete job, but not sell the case saver item. Steve Weiner was very helpful on the phone and this together with B. Andersons book was enough to go for the time-certs. Above all they are certified from the german car industry. So it shouldn't be worse than without inserts.
So finally, I had the time certs installed by the workshop, at the same time the cyl. bores in the case and the oil pressure update were done. If necessary I would also have done the replaning of the case surface, and align bore bearings, intermediate and sealings.

I understand your argument for the case-savers having coarser thread holding better to soft material. They are similar to furniture mounting hardware, and are not high tech material at all!
To me they look like a last resort for completely overheated engines:
Once the cases are completely overheated the material will creep enough to loose holding of the strud or time cert.
The calculation is clear: The more surface area you have the stronger the binding between strud and case. Therefore case-savers, beeing the biggest items are holding best.

Finally, may I ask you some statistics? How many pulled time certs have you seen? How many pulled head struds? How many engines with case-savers mounted have you seen?
Of these , how many from raced engines?

For the future I recommend you to add a little explanation on the case-saver in your excellent book. Just tell people that it is out of scope to do this at home. As a good business man you could also create a sort of rebuilder network in the US, with pelican parts beeing the coordinator.

Actually I do not recommend rebuilding engines without a workshop after my experience. What in my case started with fixing a noisy valve train, ended up in a full rebuild.
There is too many measurements and tolerances to be considered. If I would do it again, a very likely option for me would be to send the short block to a reputed workshop in the US and have the case rebuild properly there. Shipping is cheap nowadays (100USD), so the only ressurance I need is a proper warranty for the case rebuild. By doing so my rebuild time would have been much shorter ( My rebuilder let me wait 2 month)
Maybe I would have opted for some porting of the heads also...

Andreas
http://www.daedalussoft.com/classiccars/Porsche2.4S_Targa.jpg
Old 06-12-2004, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: