Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Mostly lathe work this evening, making 4x "things" (at a loss as to what to call them...) that mount onto the studs of the exhaust valve cover, onto which I'll weld the framework to hold the water radiator.

The plan is to (probably) use just 1 pillar/tube on the top mounting, with a pair of struts coming from it and across onto the 2x top mounts on the radiator. Depending on how rigid that turns out to be, I'll either repeat and mirror for the lower mounts, or if I want something stronger to take the weight, then I'll use a pair of mounts, with a strut from each.

Here you can see my thinking, with one of the "things" onto a top stud. So long as the furthest point of the 180 hose joint doesn't protrude past the back of the scavenge pump, I reckon it'll be fine when installed. If anyone knows better, please shout now before I weld anything....This hose is the hot side inlet to the radiator, with a bleed hose returning back up through the tinware to the expansion header tank. This bleed junction, is *just about* the highest point in the circuit and also the furthest point from where the header tank feeds into the loop.

The 4" fan will mount on the outermost side, pulling air through the radiator, which is more efficient than blowing air into it.

A quick layout of what-fits-where, I'm just waiting for the -8 Female-Female coupling joint to hook up the T and another 180 fitting onto what will be the radiator outlet. The pump will mount alongside pulling water up and out across to the turbo. The 180 fitting will be where the header tank feeds into the system, again coming through from the top side of the engine via the tinware.

Finally, it's another case of "you wouldn't believe how long it took me to make a bracket"....

One of the fan mounting brackets, absolutely spot-on dimensionally. Hoping #2 won't take as long, now I can take dimensions from the first one. Four clinch studs pressed in from the underside will be used to mount the fan. Need something with a very shallow head to avoid contact with the radiator core. These will be pressed in once the brackets have been anodised. Rubber bobbins are in the post; I'm using the type with a female thread on one side rather than the one shown above with two male threads.

A few jobs to now do; I need to make a -8 Male-Male union with a 1/8" NPT thread inbetween, so I can install a water temp sender. I have 2x weld on -8 fittings, I just need to make the centre section, with a large enough diameter to accommodate the 20mm (or so) depth of the sender, without impeding water flow.

I also need to make two -8 > 3/4" pipe fittings, to interface the pump to the rest of the water circuit. A couple of pretty easy jobs for one evening this week.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #961 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
964 c4/c2/turbo , efi conversion , life racing , syvecs , turbokraft