Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cars Ruined My Life

please delete

going 3.6 please delete

Last edited by impactbumper; 08-29-2016 at 08:25 PM..
Old 08-14-2016, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Cams and Rockers, I say John at DRC. Call him, he can guide you as to what is available for your needs and use.

He does beautiful work, price is reasonable IMHO:

Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 08-14-2016, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hangar21
Sub'd! I'm trying to decide on which way to go for my 87?
All the best,
Terry
Old 08-14-2016, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Racer

German Precision in CA for the heads.
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 08-14-2016, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I used Competition Engineering and was very happy, well regarded shop. Had all parts measured by Zim like crank, cams and Pistons/cylinders.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Racer

I hear bad things about Competition Engineering.....
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 08-14-2016, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cars Ruined My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by winders View Post
German Precision in CA for the heads.

Noted

Anyone had any experience with xtremecylinderheads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2016, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Xtreme is great for porting, but pricey.

I sent my heads, pistons, cylinders, rockers, and rocker shafts to cgarr. I was Xtremely happy with his cost, communication, turnaround time, and quality of work.

No need for a bigger oil pump unless you're going crazy with the rest of the build.

Last edited by gtc; 08-15-2016 at 10:49 AM..
Old 08-15-2016, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by winders View Post
I hear bad things about Competition Engineering.....
Scott,
Are you talking about the one in Lake Isabella, CA . . . ??
I just spoke to a 356 guy yesterday who said they do good work . . .

But, people and circumstances do change . . .

Regards,

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

If you don't send your heads to "cgarr", you will be ripped off. Forget all the other recs above.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You'll probably be surprised how nice your crank will be. I bet a light polish will be all that's needed.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin View Post
Scott,
Are you talking about the one in Lake Isabella, CA . . . ??
I just spoke to a 356 guy yesterday who said they do good work . . .

But, people and circumstances do change . . .

Regards,
That would be them. As they say, you can't please all the people all of the time. Unfortunately, I hear they are pleasing just some of the people some of the time.

Plus, there are a lot of other places with stellar reputations to choose from that do the same jobs.
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Talking with a local shop to start a rebuild on mine next month. I am fairly certain i am going to go to a 3.4L . If you have to replace your p&c's for any reason its actually not much cost difference to increase displacement. You can send the cylinders to EBS and have them bore / replate for 3.4L. Then buy JE pistons, total cost going this route was about $2100. Add in a tune, cams and other odds and ends and its not too much more cost wise, a new set of euro p&c's is about $3k.

Might not be worth while if you are already at euro compression in terms of gains, but may be worth looking into further if you go 3.4L with matching 10.5:1 comp pistons.

Wish i didnt have to contend with CA smog, otherwise i would go twin spark and PMO's .
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 08-15-2016, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
If you don't send your heads to "cgarr", you will be ripped off. Forget all the other recs above.
Tippy is not one to brag (unlike me when it comes to a/c ), but his cgarr done heads are on a monster power, turbo engine - aka: pretty good service endorsement right thar!
Old 08-15-2016, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Tippy is not one to brag (unlike me when it comes to a/c ), but his cgarr done heads are on a monster power, turbo engine - aka: pretty good service endorsement right thar!
HAHA, cgarr is the man on these.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I sent my heads to anchor atlantic - Kudos for great work About – Anchor Atlantic Enterprises
I sent my cams to Elgin cams once again great work http://elgincams.com/ He will walk you through what you want. SC, sport grind etc if applicable to yours..

I used a local machine shop to clean balance crank, flywheel, pressure plate, rods etc..

If you can use a 930 oil pump...Go for it...

Looking forward to hearing about your work...I just went through this whole process myself awhile ago ...and be ready to fork over more and more money. I just about replaced everything.

Slippery slope mate...Best of luck

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:
Old 08-15-2016, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

x4 on cgarr for the heads, also rockers and shafts
Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Cars Ruined My Life

Quote:
Quote:
You'll probably be surprised how nice your crank will be. I bet a light polish will be all that's needed.
I will talk to Craig. Thanks bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
Talking with a local shop to start a rebuild on mine next month. I am fairly certain i am going to go to a 3.4L . If you have to replace your p&c's for any reason its actually not much cost difference to increase displacement. You can send the cylinders to EBS and have them bore / replate for 3.4L. Then buy JE pistons, total cost going this route was about $2100. Add in a tune, cams and other odds and ends and its not too much more cost wise, a new set of euro p&c's is about $3k.

Might not be worth while if you are already at euro compression in terms of gains, but may be worth looking into further if you go 3.4L with matching 10.5:1 comp pistons.

Wish i didnt have to contend with CA smog, otherwise i would go twin spark and PMO's .
You said it already have the euro p&c on the car, at this point I do not know how much more hp for the money 3.4 would give me. I was thinking may be 3.5 going similar route you suggested.

ITBs also on the table being thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Thanks yous

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascott01 View Post
I sent my heads to anchor atlantic - Kudos for great work About Anchor Atlantic Enterprises
I sent my cams to Elgin cams once again great work http://elgincams.com/ He will walk you through what you want. SC, sport grind etc if applicable to yours..

I used a local machine shop to clean balance crank, flywheel, pressure plate, rods etc..

If you can use a 930 oil pump...Go for it...

Looking forward to hearing about your work...I just went through this whole process myself awhile ago ...and be ready to fork over more and more money. I just about replaced everything.

Slippery slope mate...Best of luck
I want to be in and out before temptations get a hold of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
x4 on cgarr for the heads, also rockers and shafts

Does anyone have a phone number for Craig "cgarr"? Is it G2 Performance in MI? Could not find him online.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Just PM him here, that is his Pelican ID.

I should add, he just did the heads for my rebuild, and while I can't report yet on how well they work, they look fantastic.
1989 BMW M3
2007 328iT
Old 08-15-2016, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
This is just stupid......
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: