Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by winders View Post
Now you are just being ridiculous!
How many sets of heads have you had done and where?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
How many sets of heads have you had done and where?
You were being helpful. Now what are you doing? We get it. Craig is a regular contributor and has a great product. Ball's in Mr. Workboat's court...
06 Kaw KLR-650A
10' Madone 5.2/17' Lynskey ProCross
Old 10-24-2016, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharbert View Post
You were being helpful. Now what are you doing? We get it. Craig is a regular contributor and has a great product. Ball's in Mr. Workboat's court...
Why don't you call out the one who called me out 1st?

I will always be helpful, but if I get called out, expect me to retaliate. If it's online or in the actual, physical world.

Last edited by Tippy; 10-24-2016 at 06:44 PM..
Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Total surprise........

Quote:
If you're totally stupid with money, go ahead.

If you can't spend your money fast enough, other shops are your friend.

Tippy,

Not sure what made you respond this way but I highly value your posts and totally caught me by surprise that such a comment came from you. Chris Garrett is an excellent machinist but he is not the only person in this world who could do good jobs. There are countless individuals across the country that are as good or better than your guy. Take a deep breathe and look at the mirror. And relax. We all get into this mood.

Tony

Last edited by boyt911sc; 10-25-2016 at 07:16 PM..
Old 10-25-2016, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
Tippy,

Not sure what made you respond this way but I highly value your posts and totally caught me by surprise that such a comment came from you. Chris Garrett is an excellent machinist but he is not the only person in this world who could do good jobs. There are countless individuals across the country that are as good or better than your guy. Take a deep breathe and look at the mirror. And relax. We all get into this mood.

Tony
Here is the reason I called him on his post here:

Getting Ready To Rebuild My Engine

I have no issues with him recommending cgarr. I do have issues with his comments.
PCA GT-3R #3

Last edited by winders; 10-25-2016 at 08:11 PM..
Old 10-25-2016, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Here is the reason I called him on his post here:

Getting Ready To Rebuild My Engine

I have no issues with him recommending cgarr. I do have issues with his comments.
Dude, you're hilarious. Your comments are always abrasive and condescending, and you're calling out my comments?!

Get a grip bro!!

And Tony, I should have put a smiley face on the "stupid" part, I was just putting emphasis on my words.....
Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
I find it very amusing that one of the rudest members of the forum takes issue with anyone else's posts.

*** Ha ha - sick minds think alike, Tip - cosmic!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 10-25-2016 at 08:35 PM..
Old 10-25-2016, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
I find it very amusing that one of the rudest members of the forum takes issue with anyone else's posts.

*** Ha ha - sick minds think alike, Tip - cosmic!
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'll always vouch for Craig. Weekend turn-around, lots of communication, and cost less than a fine dinner.

Stand up guy!!
Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Is it the angle of the photo, or do these seats look really low. Flow over the seats is severely reduced when the seat is sunk and the seat angles and shapes compromised.

Look good when all clean and shiny but flow like """"""
Old 10-26-2016, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

oops, referring to werk 1 post # 20
Old 10-26-2016, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
^^^pretty much an optical illusion. Size of photo, reflection of machined surfaces, angle of shot make the seat look more recessed than it actually is. The heads look the same as the pic posted above it for Anchor Atlantic.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-26-2016, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Shipping these heads with insurance is pretty costly. The money you save on shipping to and from your location can be spent on other "while you're in there" issues.
I have some heads to rebuild.

Is shipping w/insurance a significant cost ? Also worried about shipping damages which favor a local shop.

Last edited by pmax; 07-22-2017 at 11:20 PM..
Old 07-22-2017, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
pmax, packaging is very important. Remember the packaging has to survive both the trip to and from. Heads should protected in such a way that they are not damaged from hitting each other or from external forces. In terms of cost, I shipped a set of 930 heads to "cgarr" in nearby Michigan (central Wisconsin to central Michigan) for approx. $50, each way, insured for $2000, each way. The heads were not complete, only valves. No springs or shims.
BTW, highly recommend "cgarr". He's an upfront guy and does excellent work. Couldn't ask for more from a machinist.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Workboat(dave),
"Look for the closest shop to you that works on air-cooled Porsche heads. Why won't you share your location? Shipping these heads with insurance is pretty costly. The money you save on shipping to and from your location can be spent on other "while you're in there" issues.

I drove down to Kelly-Moss Motorsports in Madison, WI and was very favorably impressed with their facility. Prices were very competitive. Work topnotch."

Please tell me that's not their finished product, if so, I would have sent them back. No cleanup cut on the mating surface and they didn't even bead blast them??
Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Definitely not the only one out there who does this type of work....but I recently had Craig (cgarr) rebuild my 3.0 heads. Great work, price & turn-around time. Highly recommended.

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Workboat(dave),
"Look for the closest shop to you that works on air-cooled Porsche heads. Why won't you share your location? Shipping these heads with insurance is pretty costly. The money you save on shipping to and from your location can be spent on other "while you're in there" issues.

I drove down to Kelly-Moss Motorsports in Madison, WI and was very favorably impressed with their facility. Prices were very competitive. Work topnotch."

Please tell me that's not their finished product, if so, I would have sent them back. No cleanup cut on the mating surface and they didn't even bead blast them??
boasted1879,
They did only the work I requested. I only wanted new guides put in, matched to the valves I provided (existing intake valves, new exhaust valves). Head sealing surfaces were "touched" just to true up surfaces. I was still on the fence as to whether to flame-ring Ni-Resist heads and cylinders or use C2 Turbo head gaskets. The pic shown is before I decided to go with C2 Turbo head gaskets since the only problem I was dealing with was the famed C2 head-to-cylinder weeping issue.
Since I posted that pic that you illustrated above, I went through hell trying to get a commitment from Kelly-Moss to do the work I requested for the sealing surfaces. Since I'm not a big time racing team with deep pockets, they were extremely slow in responding to emails(several days), returning phone calls. The business manager/project manager didn't even know what a flame ring was!! Totally PO'd, I talked to cgarr about the work I needed. Knowing the outstanding recommendations Craig got from other Pelicanites, I had him machine the sealing surfaces .5mm for the C2 turbo head gaskets. Fast turn around and excellent communication skills. I'm sold on him.
Bead blasting, really? You judge the quality of machinist work by the bead blasting they do? Bead blasting only removes surface oxidation and carbon buildup. Once the engine goes through several heat cycles, your pearly white, bead blasted heads look just like they did before. The heads were thoroughly cleaned in my parts washing tank, then over to a local machine shop for their washing process, then off to Kelly-Moss for guide work. There's no carbon buildup anywhere and the fins are free of any grease, dirt buildup. I'm building an engine I'm going to be driving, not a coffee table.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I judge the total job. I expect the heads to come back looking like the day they left the factory or better. I would not put heads that had not been bead blasted on an engine that has had the cases, cam carriers and everything else cleaned so it looks like new or better. Why bother even cleaning up the case then since it will eventually look like it did before.

I also used cgarr and was very happy with his work.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Well good for you. This is a top end rebuild, total rebuild done back in '04. Turbocharger failure necessitated top overhaul. The the highly reputed dumb-ass that did my heads didn't replace the valve guides, even though I told him to do so, knurled the guides instead. Oh, btw, he bead blasted the heads and they looked so-o-o-o nice. A lot of good that did.
Engine pic below from rebuild of '04. Nice purdie parts, but lurking inside are guides that are going to wear out after less than 20K miles. That's what they call in the machinist world, "repeat business".

Old 07-23-2017, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Some work done by Craig last winter........

Quote:
Dude, you're hilarious. Your comments are always abrasive and condescending, and you're calling out my comments?!

Get a grip bro!!

And Tony, I should have put a smiley face on the "stupid" part, I was just putting emphasis on my words.....

Tippy,

I had several works done by Craig last winter (2016) and his work was remarkable. Instead of driving 40 miles one way to my current machine shop to drop off the parts and another 40 to pick them up, I was saving time by just shipping them to Craig. Right now, I have two very good and reliable machine shops for cylinder heads. Anchor Atlantic is basically for cylinder head rebuild and very good. Craig Garrett offers more additional machining capability for your rebuild. Plus he sends them back to you so quickly even before any payment is made!!!!!

You can not go wrong choosing these guys for your rebuild needs. Bob Hirst and Craig Garrett are just the best guys you want in your team. And of course a dozen more across the country.

Tony
Old 07-23-2017, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Finding the guys who do good work can be expensive and frustrating. I was rebuilding an old 250 Chevy inline 6 once and the crank had to be ground 10 under. It was in a boat (Break Out Another Thou) and marine duty is tough. I was busy with my day job then and decided just to drop the short block off at the machine shop and have them take care of it. It ran great, for about 20 min. then started knocking. I tore it down again to see what happened, the dumb a$& never cleaned the crank out after grinding! He took care of it and after I picked the short block up again I inspected it very carefully before assembly. He had the #2 and #5 rod caps switched! back to the shop.. As it turned out the shop owner had some flunky doing the assembly. A little while after that I went to another machine shop for a head job and the same guy who worked at the other shop was now there. Needless to say I turned around as fast as I could.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: