Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slackerous Maximus

I work for a big bank. One might even say the biggest. Dress code is very much dependent of function, but jeans are accepted every where. I believe collared shirts are required, but this is ignored by some. If I know I am going to be in meetings, either in person or virtual, I will certainly be wearing a collared shirt. I wear running shoes everyday....unless there is a director from NY lurking about
Old 09-11-2018, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
I work for a big bank. One might even say the biggest. Dress code is very much dependent of function, but jeans are accepted every where. I believe collared shirts are required, but this is ignored by some. If I know I am going to be in meetings, either in person or virtual, I will certainly be wearing a collared shirt. I wear running shoes everyday....unless there is a director from NY lurking about
Iím an attorney and I represent banks. One might even say the biggest. Not wearing a tie to court or most other times is not an option. When my bank reps show up at court without a tie it really pisses me off. Mostly Iím jealous .
Old 09-11-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
Are you sure you don't really work at a golf course?
Old 09-11-2018, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteremsley View Post
Lovely. My father shortly after he came out of the RAF... Likely a similar year to your pic Baz. No hat, but still stylin':

Thanks, Peter - great pic of your Dad there....looking quite dapper and obviously a snappy dresser!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
I wore a suit and tie everyday from 1987 until 2013 when ties went out of fashion, even on planes because I was usually getting straight off a plane and into a meeting. I don't miss it one little bit.

This is the last time I put on a tie, three years ago now...And ONLY because my daughter asked me to.

Beautiful pic, Craig! Especially the young lady and Avo trees! Not sure about the old guy though!

Just kidding - you look very dapper!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
This is the last time I put on a tie, three years ago now...And ONLY because my daughter asked me to.

and your grand daughter in the pic with you appreciated it.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
17 Years with IBM, 12 in a suit, I'm still business casual every day and I keep a sport coat hanging on my office door with a spare tie for special meetings. Most of the millennial's I work with are pretty sharp dressers these days too so it seems to be shifting back at least where I work, they ear khakis and collared shirts every day at the minimum, very good grooming habits.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Iím in the home building business. I wear nice khakis shorts and a polo type shirt every day. Georgia Giant boots.

When it gets cold, I wear jeans 95% of the time and a polo type shirt. Georgia Giant boots again.

When Iím not working, I wear nice khakis shorts and polo type shirt. And I wear Topsiders.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Beautiful pic, Craig! Especially the young lady and Avo trees! Not sure about the old guy though!
Baz, I think we'd have to go to Zimbabwa to find a plant or tree you can recognize with just one leaf. Unbelieveable. Our resident botanist.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
The only people that I regularly see wear suits are people that have low-paying/high-stress jobs and/or are 100% on commission. Used car salesmen wear suits. New car salesmen wear dealership polo shirts. Door-to-door salesmen. Bottom line, they are trying to sell me that something that I don't want.

I work in IT. We have a culture that basically says the more slovenly you dress, it must be because you have the skills to get away with it. I wear polo shirts and jeans with tennis shoes most days.

Executives also wear suits. I don't see them often. Politicians often wear suits. They are often trying to sell me something that I don't want.
Ha! My thoughts exactly! I'm also in IT. I wear black slacks, shoes and belt and either a nice black or maroon polo shirt every day. I could wear jeans but I'm more comfortable in slacks.

There's another guy at the company that dresses super sharp. Three piece suits - the whole 9 yards. He even has a pocket watch. By the looks you would think he was a Wall Street banker but he's an administrative assistant.

Back in the day there was a company called Chips and Technologies. Their Chief Engineer would come to work in pajamas and slippers, had an office just off to the side of the reception area, and drove a beautiful Cobalt Blue 911 turbo.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

I wear a suit everyday (no tie) even though I don’t have to. I like it plus you only get one chance at a first impression with clients. What I find now in business is it’s women who don’t try anymore, even with dress codes. Saddles with shorts and sleeveless shirts, see it all the time....I miss summer dresses...
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 09-11-2018, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

When I was a kid even the butcher wore a tie! We wore ties every day in grammar school.

Things changed in '66 when I entered middle school, then only once a week for assembly.

1985 M491
Old 09-12-2018, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
I've been debating with myself about posting in this thread because I'm clearly in the minority, but here goes.

My wife and I love dressing up and jump at every opportunity. And, although I'm in IT, I also always wear tailored slacks and a jacket to work. And, about a half dozen times a year I need to wear a suit/tie.

My wife would never consider leaving the house unless she looks her best and she wouldn't be caught dead wearing sweats or anything similarly dowdy. She'll occasionally wear jeans, but generally she has on a dress or skirt. I can't recall a single time during the 42 years we've been together that she went without makeup and fully done hair.

We also seek out occasions that call for full formal wear. I have my own tux that I've been using for over 30 years, and my wife loves going all out in a beautiful gown.

I retire in a few months and one of the first things I'm going to do is go to NY and order a new custom-tailored suit that I'm sure will get plenty of use.

Now that I'm in my 60's I don't see any of this changing. Here we are a few weeks ago after going out to dinner.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
In my engineering days no one wore a tie in the lab, but we would have meetings about once a month where we were required to wear a tie. We all kept a tie in our desks, and competed to see who could come up with the ugliest tie. One guy had one that was a photo of a pile of vomit.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Grimm you are a handsome couple indeed!

Some of us are just wired differently I suppose.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I used to work at a professional photo lab. I kept a spare set of grungy clothes at work for working on the processors there. I lived just one mile away so changing was easy even if I had to run home.

Anyway the Kodak equipment was sometimes only repairable by their tech guys. They HAD to wear a coat and tie while on premises of a customer. I had to pull the big electrical disconnect and do an emergency shutdown on on processor that had grabbed a tech rep by the tie and was pulling him down. I tried not to laugh. He was rather upset. We had to cut his tie off and take apart the rollers to get the "foreign debris" out of the rollers. He left with a mutilated tie but otherwise he was fine. He had to have the machine on, to service it. He said after that, he would remove his tie and risk getting fired rather than get hung by a processor.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
Day to day work: Nice casual button down shirt, jeans, expensive shoes. Maybe slacks. Semi formal meetings- Everything but neckties. In face to face meetings with clients, I have the option of dressing down (corporate casual) but:

1)- Although you may technically be OK, IMHO especially around others who don't know you, it puts out that unprofessional vibe,- I'm not saying dress up with a full suit and cufflinks like you're trying to sell a car or summon Jesus, but least traditionally appropriate to the situation- If you were deciding on spending millions on project work between two vendors, one guy comes in with a wrinkled polo shirt with a coffee stain, the other in a nice tailored blazer, all things being equal who would you go with? Better safe than sorry, until they really know who you are.

2)- I just feel more awake if I took the effort to dress up - blazer slacks, shirt. The one problem with dressing at work the same way you would doing yardwork is your habits slip, you feel like well, you stepped into work to do something but you should be doing yardwork and your mind isn't in gear. Dressing up is like a pause from reality-dress up, game time. Look the part feel the part.

If you don't dress up and change up, after awhile the days and nights all run together...Being shabby becomes what you are.

3)- Most people dress like schlubs these days- it's the 'in' thing. Just, no thank you. Looks like ****. Ain't having it. I'm not dressing like a college dropout who never left home..

4)- Cheap clothes are just that- cheap. Don't last very long. I got stuff in my wardrobe over 20 years old (sport coats and a few shirts) that still look current today. Yes, I probably paid 7 -8 x what most guys spend on one, but they last and look good. Can't tell which decade it's from.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post

Nice. What I'm talking about. I'm of the same mindset you are about clothes- these days, most people just look unkept- undignified.

PS- I have a Peter Millar blazer I got for next to nothing that looks almost exactly like the one you're wearing. Double digit price, too good to pass up.

rjp
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
One last thing, I know a manager for GE in WA state, his office is in his home. Get this-

-every morning, he gets up, showers, dresses up, puts on a shirt and necktie.
-walks from his bedroom, across the hallway to his office.

Every. Single. Day.

I once asked him if he ever skipped putting on pants during a Skype call, he said 'no'. After all, he's an engineer. I'd be tempted to try it at least, once, :P

rjp
Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY P View Post
Nice. What I'm talking about. I'm of the same mindset you are about clothes- these days, most people just look unkept- undignified.

PS- I have a Peter Millar blazer I got for next to nothing that looks almost exactly like the one you're wearing. Double digit price, too good to pass up.

rjp
Agreed. They look fantastic for a night out.

Peter Millar blazer for < $100? Sounds like a score! I've got a pair of Millar swim shorts that were more than that
Old 09-12-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: