Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

What do you collect?

Two months ago I didnít own a single knife except one multitool. Now I have 3 multitools, one tactical folding knife and an assisted open folding knife. Iíll probably stop buying folding knives as theyíre one dimensional tools for me but Iím stuck on multitools. Iíll most likely buy another Swiss Army Knife but there are several Leathermans I have my eye on.

Any collectors of anything out there?

Old 08-31-2020, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Collection of something to me is to never use them and are kept at a certain condition. I don't collect anything. I drive all my cars, but like to think I collect them but not really
Old 08-31-2020, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Steering wheels and car wheels. I also have a collection of kidney stones.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-01-2020, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

My goal is to have a multitool in every vehicle, one in my briefcase and another in my weekend carry bag. Having said that I need 5 more multitools. They’ll all get used at some point. They’re all pretty cheap too as I get them used off eBay, Craigslist or OfferUp.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I collect Starrett Metrology tools.... ONLY US made Starrett.

I can't explain it but I find them fascinating. Have done since I was a teenager.

Last edited by sc_rufctr; 09-01-2020 at 02:56 AM..
Old 09-01-2020, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I have collected a 1/64 rendition diecast of each car that I have owned over the years, (in as close to the original color as possible). These sit above my computer screen at work, and are a conversation starter, and bring back good memories without taking up much space.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

A bit hard to explain...but - potato ricers. Actually, the interest began when I was four years old helping my mom in the kitchen, and ricing potatoes quickly became my thing. Interest rekindled years later and I started to look for them at antique malls, flea markets, and yard sales. Loved the variety of styles and levels of quality from various eras.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Ok944, that's an unusual obscure object to collect.
You may be getting in on the ground floor and will be laughing when they go thru the roof.
So you are able to find a variety of them? Any pics?

I've focused on collecting memories of life experiences. Now that age is eroding my ability to recollect that collection is shrinking. Plus Nothing to be deposed of when Im gone.

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 09-01-2020 at 04:24 AM..
Old 09-01-2020, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
A bit hard to explain...but - potato ricers. Actually, the interest began when I was four years old helping my mom in the kitchen, and ricing potatoes quickly became my thing. Interest rekindled years later and I started to look for them at antique malls, flea markets, and yard sales. Loved the variety of styles and levels of quality from various eras.
Like this? I don't fully understand it but I'm impressed. Who doesn't love cast iron?

Old 09-01-2020, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Steering wheels and car wheels. I also have a collection of kidney stones.
I'm pretty sure we need pics!

I've often thought that if I was loaded ($$$) and had the space, that I'd collect automotive memorabilia. I'd love to have a collection of old (20s and 30s) hood ornaments. I'd like to have a collection of wheels and knock-off spinners, steering wheels is also cool, and other items.

Do I collect stuff? Not much any more.

I have quite a few knives, some that I bought 30 years ago. I probably have 10-15. I didn't use or carry the first few that I bought, I just wanted them, but then starting about 25 years ago when I was bartending, I used many of them, sometimes daily. A few I've just purchased because there was something that I liked about them. I always carry one.

When I was a kid, I collected rocks. I was always looking at and picking up stuff and would even go to stores and buy samples of various kinds of rocks and minerals. My mom kept them. When we downsized a few years ago, I got rid of most, but not all of the rocks. Most of the rocks that I kept were rocks that I'd found myself, not purchased.

Next, I was a young numismatist. I think it started because Dad went back into the Navy and we began traveling to foreign countries, so I started acquiring the foreign currency. When we came back to the US, I started buying (what I could afford, which wasn't much) old US money (mostly coins). I've collected a little paper money, but not much. Thanks to my mother, I also still have the money.

When I was a teen, a little older, I collected comic books. Most were just comics that I bought over a series of years and read and then stored in ziplock bags, but I also went to a comic book store and purchased old and interesting issues and issues that I'd missed. I still have those too, thanks to my mom.

Most of the time, it was about acquiring stuff that I found interesting. Now that I'm older, and have a better appreciation for the work required to acquire money, and the space required to store stuff that mostly just sits there, I collect a lot less than I used to.

The missus and I used to buy a lot of books. When we downsized, we probably got rid of 25-33%. Then a few years later, we got rid of some more. We still have quite a few books in storage. There are just some things that we don't want to get rid of but also don't currently have space (1 br apt) for with us.

Even before we downsized, I've found myself looking at things and thinking "that's cool, I'd like to have that." Then I think about it a little more and frequently find myself switching to "It is cool, but I'd buy it and look at it for a short time and eventually mostly stop and would end up boxing it up and storing it somewhere." So I find myself buying a lot less than I would have when I was younger.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten

Last edited by masraum; 09-01-2020 at 05:49 AM..
Old 09-01-2020, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Unregistered

Old 09-01-2020, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
As far as an active collection, not really much of anything.

I started collecting coins when I was about 11. I still have that collection, but I don't do much except store it. I have a some cool old tools that just showed up from dad and grandfathers, but they are not really a collection. I never understood collecting some collections. Like a hot wheels collection is cool to many, but has zero appeal to me.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-01-2020, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Vote 2020

When I was young it was HO slot cars. After college I was buying, fixing and selling pinballs and arcade games. Then RC planes and Helicopters. Selling the porsche collection, but that's another thread.

I guess I'm still guilty of having too many tools, and my wife accuses me of having too many coffee mugs. And a box of Mad Magazines from the 50's-70's, most without folding the back covers
Old 09-01-2020, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Dust.

Oh, and maybe a firearm or two.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 09-01-2020, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Happy patients
Old 09-01-2020, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
Dust.

Oh, and maybe a firearm or two.

Sadly, I understand you've all lost those out of a boat and they are now at the bottom of a river.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-01-2020, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Tools & duplicate tools (you can never have enough of the same size end-wrench, usually the size you are not looking for)
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-01-2020, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
Very Interesting. Not that I collect these items, but that I too have fond memories of my Mom's cooking tools. Of all the things from my Mom and Dad's estate, I have two items of hers that I treasure: Mouli Grater and a small round frying basket. Mom showed us how to make our own onion rings with hard cheddar sprinkled on top.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Scars.... added two more nice ones a few daze back
Old 09-01-2020, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Fountain pen collection (liquidating);
M1 Garands (liquidating);
Early HP Calculators;
Film Cameras (now cut down to just my favorites)

Old 09-01-2020, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: