Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.19 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP73 View Post
Don't laugh, those could be Charley's.

...that is exactly what we said! Then we found an old late 50's pickup truck fender in gray primer.........then Chris found a bunch of fiberglass parts that looked like old Vette pieces.......then we wandered into the Blair Witch Project..........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible"
Old 12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2621 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Mulholland Falls partIII

Jeff and I met at Deadmans today at 11:45am. Later we saw some foriegn tourists interviewing some local kids with bizarre hair colors and attire in Deadmans, only in L.A.

This is looking west towards the Grandstands direction from Deadmans. Note the sign.

Car parts litter the hillsides below Mulholland here as well.

Jeff found his Independence day special sign deep down in the brush.

Last edited by Banning; 12-15-2007 at 07:24 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2622 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Mulholland Falls part III

Many old bottles lie just below Mulholland Drive. Here is an old classic, long gone.

Deep down in these ravines lie car parts, cars, and who knows?

The area is very large. From the Fine overlook with binoculars cars can be seen in the deep brush. This picture is from below Carls Jr looking west into the same area. After the fire of 1932, cars could have gone over the cliff and traveled for a long distance downhill into what now is dense hidden brush. When an investigation of this area comes, cars from the golden age of automobiles could be found, hopefully with no human remains inside.

Jeff knows a lot about car parts, especially body parts since that's his business. He loves to look at single isolated parts and identify what make and model that they came off of originally. I found it quite entertaining. Thanks Jeff.

Last edited by Banning; 12-15-2007 at 07:21 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 07:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2623 (permalink)
wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
This is getting just too good. Do you two plan on going back up there tomorrow? I know I said I'd wait for SloDave to get better but this is clearly more than a one day thing. Lets meet tomorrow???
Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2624 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP73 View Post
This is getting just too good. Do you two plan on going back up there tomorrow? I know I said I'd wait for SloDave to get better but this is clearly more than a one day thing. Lets meet tomorrow???
I'm in San Diego for the day, but will resume reconnaissance Monday or Tuesday. I can produce a map of what is over the side and their locations if anyone is interested. It has been fascinating to carefully hike the canyon walls and find decades of very interesting automotive artifacts.

By the way, if anyone is willing to pull up the parts and weld them back together, you could have a complete 911 for free.

Last edited by Banning; 12-16-2007 at 07:01 AM..
Old 12-16-2007, 06:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2625 (permalink)

I may not go over the edge but I'm going up to have a look about. I'll be there by 11:00 am if anyone wants to meet up.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2626 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Mulholland ripped again.

Unbelievable, another manufacturer ripping off Mulholland, and it's Piloti.
Manufacturers gave us Mulholland Shocks, Mulholland edition Prowlers, Mulholland Kits, the "Mulholland Look" body kits, etc. Now it's Mulholland shoes. I bet that these folks never even drove Mulholland, it just sounds good for advertising.

This shows that we really have something special, look at the advertising aimed at us car enthusiasts. We could take advantage of this to pursue our goals. After all, they made Long Beach a Grand Prix. With television so boring these days, it would sure spice things up a bit to have a reality show about racing on Mulholland on a closed section of track, say between Skyline and Bowmont where there are no houses and never will be. Unfortuntely, liability for the city makes this almost impossible. Will someone please make a time machine so that we can go back once a week and re-live the good old days. Oh well, I guess our imaginations will have to do.

I am offended that no one can park to see the view at night after 9 pm. Mulholland was originally created not for building houses on, but for having a scenic drive between the Valley and Hollywood/WLA. Some Mulholland Manaics must have influenced City Council to put up the signs, many of which are all over the side of Mulholland in the brush.

Piloti Mulholland Shoe
UPR Home Page / Garage Sale / Driving Shoes Sale / Piloti Mulholland Shoe

Description:The low-cut Mulholland is the first style from Piloti’s new Touring line of shoes. Like our Race Performance shoes, the Mulholland has our patented Roll Control™ heel and is reinforced on the lateral side of the right shoe for proper heel-&-toe downshifting. The Touring line was created to give enthusiasts an alternative to our line of fire-resistant shoes while retaining all the fit and performance of Piloti shoes. Worn by champion autocrossers and track day enthusiasts the combination of leather, suede and mesh provides comfort and augments the ultra-low cut ankle design for maximum flexibility in the car and less heat retention while waiting for the next run.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2627 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banning View Post
Manufacturers gave us Mulholland Shocks, Mulholland edition Prowlers, Mulholland Kits, the "Mulholland Look" body kits, etc. Now it's Mulholland shoes. I bet that these folks never even drove Mulholland, it just sounds good for advertising.

I'm not so sure about that. The founder of Piloti shoes Kevin Beard, graduated from Art Center Pasadena. He was a member of PCA (and may still be). When he first started out, he would be at PCA events with his shoes. I 'm not sure what Porsche he had back then, it may have been a 914.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2628 (permalink)

So maybe he is actually "one of us"! Or more accurately "one of you's guys".
Old 12-17-2007, 08:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2629 (permalink)

Quote:

This shows that we really have something special, look at the advertising aimed at us car enthusiasts. We could take advantage of this to pursue our goals. After all, they made Long Beach a Grand Prix. With television so boring these days, it would sure spice things up a bit to have a reality show about racing on Mulholland on a closed section of track, say between Skyline and Bowmont where there are no houses and never will be. Unfortuntely, liability for the city makes this almost impossible. Will someone please make a time machine so that we can go back once a week and re-live the good old days. Oh well, I guess our imaginations will have to do.

I am offended that no one can park to see the view at night after 9 pm. Mulholland was originally created not for building houses on, but for having a scenic drive between the Valley and Hollywood/WLA. Some Mulholland Manaics must have influenced City Council to put up the signs, many of which are all over the side of Mulholland in the brush.

Piloti Mulholland Shoe
UPR Home Page / Garage Sale / Driving Shoes Sale / Piloti Mulholland Shoe

Description:The low-cut Mulholland is the first style from Piloti’s new Touring line of shoes. Like our Race Performance shoes, the Mulholland has our patented Roll Control™ heel and is reinforced on the lateral side of the right shoe for proper heel-&-toe downshifting. The Touring line was created to give enthusiasts an alternative to our line of fire-resistant shoes while retaining all the fit and performance of Piloti shoes. Worn by champion autocrossers and track day enthusiasts the combination of leather, suede and mesh provides comfort and augments the ultra-low cut ankle design for maximum flexibility in the car and less heat retention while waiting for the next run.

I am thinking of buying a pair. They look comfortable. The left heel has a cut already built in it to aid in heal and toe transition. I hear BELL is coming out with the Sweeper model. Now personally I think Piloti should have used better marketing sense for the Mulholland line and went with words like "evade" and "street legal"...
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible"
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2630 (permalink)
cluck

T34 Karmann Ghia? 1967? love it.

Quote:
WoW! Beautiful!

I can't wait to restore and drive the one that I have.

I wonder how many pelicans know what it is.

Thanks for posting Radu.

And thanks again for joining Me and Jane for my last Ferrari Club Meeting last night. We really enjoyed having you along to experience the Board of Directors and how the club functions. Also it was fun because of the small celebration we had due to my stepping down as Vice President. We are looking forward to seeing you and your fiance at the January Election Brunch.

2005 997 S

previously:
97 Boxster
97 GTI
83 Fiat spyder
Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2631 (permalink)

Hey all,

First post here! I've got some stories to add. Seeing Joe's name here brought back some memories. Here's one. When we were driven from Grandstand by constant badgering by the law enforcement types, we started hanging out at Horseshoe. There was a cop who seemed to always hang out in a driveway just east of Benedict Cyn. He would get folks as they rolled the stop sign there. A well known regular made a board with nails through it to put up that driveway so the cop would run over it and flatten his tires. First time trying out the board, it was painted flat black and stood out like a sore thumb. Repainted gray, it blended in nicely with the driveway pavement. Problem was, we needed a way to get said cop out of the driveway. A volunteer was needed. One was found. He was driving a white cortina. He blew through the stop sign. We thought the cop was going to ram him as he past the driveway. That was our chance. We quickly put the board up the driveway and went back to Horseshoe and waited. About 15 minutes later the cop was back. He lost the cortina down dirt Dixie. We heard the cop car run over the board as he backed up the driveway. He got out and saw what happened. Man, was he mad. He then came over to us and told us that those nails would NEVER puncture his cop tires! Well, not only did it flatten his 2 rear tires, it punctured his gas tank too and he ran out of gas going down Beverly Glen into the valley.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2007, 01:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2632 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Hey guy's,

Here's one that kinda involves Rozner. There was a bunch of us SCCRA guy's hanging out at my parents house. We were putting sway bars on Rozners 944. Of course we were doing it on the street. A cop pulls up and thinks were stripping the car. He could see the sway bar boxes, but it didn't make a difference to him. Wanted id from everybody, etc... I ran inside and told my old man that the cops were harassing us and he came out with golf club in hand. Walked right up to the cop leaned on the club, and flat told the cop we were working on our friends car in the street because there wasn't any room in the driveway and that the cop needed to leave us alone.(thanks pop!)To our surprise, the cop left! We finished Rozner's 944 and went up to the hill. Never saw Rozner much. We really didn't mind though, cause he kinda had an attitude. Fun times!!

p.s. If there are any questions about the movie, i can probably answer them(or get them answered), cause SCCRA was the group in it!

Jeff
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2633 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCRA View Post
Hey all,

First post here! I've got some stories to add. Seeing Joe's name here brought back some memories. Here's one. When we were driven from Grandstand by constant badgering by the law enforcement types, we started hanging out at Horseshoe. There was a cop who seemed to always hang out in a driveway just east of Benedict Cyn. He would get folks as they rolled the stop sign there. A well known regular made a board with nails through it to put up that driveway so the cop would run over it and flatten his tires. First time trying out the board, it was painted flat black and stood out like a sore thumb. Repainted gray, it blended in nicely with the driveway pavement. Problem was, we needed a way to get said cop out of the driveway. A volunteer was needed. One was found. He was driving a white cortina. He blew through the stop sign. We thought the cop was going to ram him as he past the driveway. That was our chance. We quickly put the board up the driveway and went back to Horseshoe and waited. About 15 minutes later the cop was back. He lost the cortina down dirt Dixie. We heard the cop car run over the board as he backed up the driveway. He got out and saw what happened. Man, was he mad. He then came over to us and told us that those nails would NEVER puncture his cop tires! Well, not only did it flatten his 2 rear tires, it punctured his gas tank too and he ran out of gas going down Beverly Glen into the valley.

Jeff
Great story Jeff. Thanks for posting it. If you would like to, it would be good to add your stories to the second edition of The Mulholland Experience. We are missing stories from your group and we need them for the complete picture.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2634 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCRA View Post
Hey guy's,

Here's one that kinda involves Rozner. There was a bunch of us SCCRA guy's hanging out at my parents house. We were putting sway bars on Rozners 944. Of course we were doing it on the street. A cop pulls up and thinks were stripping the car. He could see the sway bar boxes, but it didn't make a difference to him. Wanted id from everybody, etc... I ran inside and told my old man that the cops were harassing us and he came out with golf club in hand. Walked right up to the cop leaned on the club, and flat told the cop we were working on our friends car in the street because there wasn't any room in the driveway and that the cop needed to leave us alone.(thanks pop!)To our surprise, the cop left! We finished Rozner's 944 and went up to the hill. Never saw Rozner much. We really didn't mind though, cause he kinda had an attitude. Fun times!!

p.s. If there are any questions about the movie, i can probably answer them(or get them answered), cause SCCRA was the group in it!

Jeff
Rozner had an attitude? I'm laughing so hard that I almost fell out of my chair. You have to be interviewed for adding more lore to the book. Your stories should be invaluable. Thanks again Jeff.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2635 (permalink)

Greetings all,
I stumbled on this thread a couple of months ago and have been lurking ever since. So I thought I would finally chime in. This thread really brings back alot of great memories although most of what you guys experienced was a little before my time, it's still great to read all the stories. I still remember the insane days when there would be hundereds of people up there on any given night with crazy 'train runs' involving a half dozen cars or more nose to tail making runs up or down the hill, insane but it was a blast non the less, I think this was just before the big bust in 1977. I didn't start to hangout and race mul regularly till about 1980 when everyone was meeting at truck stop. Anyone remember or know what happened to Joe Valarde, used to drive a black lowerd and flared V6 Capri with wide reversed wheels?

John

p.s. I have it on good authority who the culprits were in the nailboard, cortina and cop incident and although any 'statute of limitations' of any possible illegal activity have long since passed, the guilty shall remain nameless.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2636 (permalink)

Hey Chris,

I'd be happy to help out however i can!

Jeff
Old 12-18-2007, 07:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2637 (permalink)

Hey John,

I've known Joe V since high school. A little backround. Joe bought that capri from Rhett Winchell.(of Winchell dougnuts) When he got it it was bright yellow. He had it painted black. The motor was stock but the rest of the car was set up pretty good. That capri wasn't very fast, but it looked pretty good. Joe eventually got a xr4ti turbo. Joe's driving big rigs in northern California now. I also remember those train runs, sometimes with lights out!

Jeff
Old 12-18-2007, 07:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2638 (permalink)

Hey all,

Here's some movie trivia. A bunch of us(SCCRA) were looking at the mustang that was going to blow up in the scene where it hit the pipe while racing Charlie. Buddy-Joe Hooker was driving. Before the scene, we were making comments about how the lexan divider protecting the drivers compartment looked WAY to thin.(it was only 1/4" thick!) We were told to "get away from the car and that the stunt guys were professionals and knew what they were doing". The first take, the "bomb" didn't go off and Buddy-Joe wrecked the pipe prop. The second take(the next night cause the had to rebuild the pipe prop) He blew the car up WAY before hitting the pipe. You can see this in the movie. Why it wasn't edited better, who knows. Anyway, seems that the lexan shield wasn't thick enough after all, and when the car exploded, lexan shrapnel cut up Buddy-Joe's right arm and he was taken to the hospital.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2007, 07:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2639 (permalink)

hi everyone!

i found this thread yesterday, wow it brought back so many memories..
i had forgotten about the eye on la segment with paul moyer..
didn't he also do one on the banzai runners ? i remember he interviewed
jastit rarewala....

i had also forgotten about the sannett bro's lolas

i'd been looking for anything on the mulholland scene for quite sometime .
this is the best thread i've read anywhere in a long time....

koyne
Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2640 (permalink)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: