Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.22 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
Dan McLoughlin?? the names familiar but I'm having a hard time associating a face with it.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)

Corvair's, Fiesta's & Bonzi Runners

There exists, in Cortez's office, a picture taken at an auto - X in Ventura having Pete Brock, Ron Cortez, Tom Hughes and George Martin all standing next to their new BRE 510's.
'65 MGB (owned since 8/70)
Mountain Biker
Yeti 4-banger
Uni-cycle
Motorcyclist
4th '81 Honda CBX

"I just gota have more cow bells"
Old 01-31-2007, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinP73
Dan McLoughlin?? the names familiar but I'm having a hard time associating a face with it.
Dan from American International Racing (A.I.R) was on San Fernando Road. He made all the fiberglass parts for 911's. We used to call him "Hair", then one day we didnt.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)

TRE and Pat.....

Actually I recall getting to know BOTH the blond waitresses at Denny's...heh, but that is another story. I used to love the hill-climb going up Coldwater to Mulholland...blasting Denny's was just my little way of letting everyone know I where I'd be.

Pat...how have you been?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)
wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
evidently the sarcasm in my post failed to display adequately!!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

Re: Corvair's, Fiesta's & Bonzi Runners

Quote:
Originally posted by SSB
There exists, in Cortez's office, a picture taken at an auto - X in Ventura having Pete Brock, Ron Cortez, Tom Hughes and George Martin all standing next to their new BRE 510's.
1969 BRE Racing Team: Standing left to right: George Boskoff, Steve Delaney, Art Oehrli, Tom Kanbe, John Timanus, Peter Brock, Mac Tilton, Bruce Burness. At the wheel: Frank Monise

Peter Brock, John Morton and John McComb (rear car)

Peter Brock standing on left (tee shirt and tie). Frank Monise seated in car and Mac Tilton on right in the jacket.

Last edited by Jeff Hail; 01-31-2007 at 03:46 PM..
Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by groundeffect
TRE and Pat.....

Actually I recall getting to know BOTH the blond waitresses at Denny's...heh, but that is another story. I used to love the hill-climb going up Coldwater to Mulholland...blasting Denny's was just my little way of letting everyone know I where I'd be.

Pat...how have you been?
I am with Pat on the blonds. I swore too one of the blonds wore dentures. Maybe they were Chickletts?

I loved the tight hairpin just past Harvard School - especially when it was wet. Road was always in bad shape because of run off but a little tail out was always fun. Once I got to the top of Coldwater I would hammer past Tree People.

Few people know the Union 76 Station on the south east corner of Coldwater and Ventura had race fuel in drums in the back of the shop. The street racers used to pay big bucks there if aviation fuel (green gas) wasnt available at Whitman Airport.
The Union Station at Vineland and Ventura sold 102 at the pump.

Last edited by Jeff Hail; 01-31-2007 at 04:03 PM..
Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pat_in_L.A.
Brock opened up Interpart. It was on Center Street in El Segundo. Several of the folks who worked there would also frequent Mulholland. Rich (pictured in a few of the posts so far) ended up being a draftsman for Mac Tilton for many projects. Center street also became the home of Electramotive, which later became Nissan Performance Technology (builders of those killer GTP cars).

Park can be seen most any Saturday morning in Montrose at Starbucks, where several other veterans of Mulholland drop in. Many stories have been told there that would fit in here. One involved Mc Laughlin (darn, that's a book in itself), my friend's sister's stolen Mini Cooper, and a police chase that ended with the Mini being driven off the second floor of a parking structure in Hollywood.

The Santa Barbara City College Sports Car Club monthly events usually ended with rather "spirited" caravans on the way home. It was a good excuse to take Mulholland Highway on our way back to the Valley, usually ending at Denny's on Coldwater. Mr Clemens (Coffee shop later became Twain's) owned that Restaurant, and to this day I wonder how he ever put up with all of us when we'd land on him in the middle of the night.
This was Peter Brocks personal 510

Here is another BRE car. Found in a barn. Just kidding although it looks like it was. It went on to be restored.

Here are couple of early lowered 510's. I bet they have Wink mirrors. Only thing missing is the exterior Tornado side mirrors.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Hail
I am with Pat on the blonds. I swore too one of the blonds wore dentures. Maybe they were Chickletts?
Dentures yes, but you should have seen her wooden leg!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)

Quote:
Dentures yes, but you should have seen her wooden leg!
A photo for posterity
Old 01-31-2007, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)

DAMN, YOU HAVE THE PIC OF TWAIN'S!

I still don't understand to this day how Mr. Clemens put up with us for all those years. A few dozen derelicts land on your business, order an endless cup of coffee, and tie up the booths for hours.

Then Mulholland Mary got a job at Tiny Naylor's on Ventura and Laurel Canyon so we migrated there. I think that we were the driving force in Tiny's downsizing the coffee cups. I've seen Mary and her brother Mike ( Datsun 510 witha all the BRE parts a couple times in the last few years.

I remember more than one time seeing Peter Falk late at night sitting at the counter in Tiny's all alone drinking coffee. He had the trenchcoat and there was even a Peugeot in the parking lot whenever he was there. Talk about getting into character for "Columbo"!

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinP73
That's the way things were intended to be.

Quote:
Originally posted by dd74
Pat_in_LA - I just saw this in your sig.

2 1984 SVO's
1 1985 SVO (of 1509)
3 1985.5 SVO's (of 439)
3 1986 SVO's (1 comp prep, one BWD 1 of 260)
OK, I like SVO's. So shoot me.

I'm a huge fan too. They're the only Mustang I'd really want these days.
They're low production and on the collectible Mustang list. Easy to tweak if you know turbo and EFI basics. Once you know how to deal with the quirks they can be a very rewarding ride.
3 1986 SVO's (1 of 62 comp preps, one BWD 1 of 260)

Last edited by Pat_in_L.A.; 02-01-2007 at 02:19 AM..
Old 02-01-2007, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)

Quote:
TRE and Pat.....

Actually I recall getting to know BOTH the blond waitresses at Denny's...heh,

Pat...how have you been?
Keith, I just Emailed you with abbreviated updates from the last 35 years. Good to hear from you!

Years ago, Ivan with the Sunbeam Tiger told me about the dentures because he found that gums are less painful than teeth during certain male/female interaction. Yes, the same Ivan who looped my 65 Mustang and high centered it at Mulholland and Bowmont right in front of a cop car. How many times is that, that a wreck wasn't my fault?

I also remember riding with Cortez one night on one of the dirt roads in a red beater 510 that he had. There were many of us blasting down that road nose to tail. At one tight left hander, the car slid high off the road and climbed the hill. It seemed to hover there at a 90 degree angle to the ground as if it were in stop action forever until Newton's law of gravity finally kicked in and it fell back to ground on it's roof.

"Are you OK?".
"Yeah, are you OK?"
"Yeah"

We rolled the car back onto all four and continued in spirited fashion.
3 1986 SVO's (1 of 62 comp preps, one BWD 1 of 260)
Old 02-01-2007, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pat_in_L.A.
[B]DAMN, YOU HAVE THE PIC OF TWAIN'S!

I have ALL the pics.

QUOTE(I still don't understand to this day how Mr. Clemens put up with us for all those years. A few dozen derelicts land on your business, order an endless cup of coffee, and tie up the booths for hours.)

The Mulholland gang was profitable and he knew it. Between us and the headbangers from Gazarris and the Whiskey he probably had a pretty good coffee business predating Starbucks.

(QUOTE)Then Mulholland Mary got a job at Tiny Naylor's on Ventura and Laurel Canyon so we migrated there.

Mulholland Mary sounds like a cheap one night Japanese car!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

Getting back to the original question, we have determined the wherabouts of Chris' car. What about the John Hall 68 911L / RSR? Now there is a guy who was the subject of some tales. Anyone care to elaborate?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)

Someone has been having a little fun. Clearly the turnout east of Laurel east of Vineland across the street from the old Errol Flynn Estate. That is definitely a Porsche fender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUXV6Ye-Rso

Another someone has been having even more daytime fun on the high ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mOD9Ea8gI

Quote from Animal House: "Roadtrip"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jeff Hail; 02-02-2007 at 08:52 PM..
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #275 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Hail
Someone has been having a little fun. Clearly the turnout east of Laurel east of Vineland across the street from the old Errol Flynn Estate. That is definitely a Porsche fender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUXV6Ye-Rso

That's the stretch I take home from work everyday.
I can see my house from there!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #276 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Cottrell
Getting back to the original question, we have determined the wherabouts of Chris' car. What about the John Hall 68 911L / RSR? Now there is a guy who was the subject of some tales. Anyone care to elaborate?
John is out in Arizona selling cars.

I feel a new thread coming.

Dave (TRE) can we see a movie in the works here?

Last edited by Jeff Hail; 02-02-2007 at 09:04 PM..
Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #277 (permalink)

Regarding a movie: We need a really good writer to weave all the stories into a decent plot.
Individual short stories are fun, but if not done correctly , you know how they end up: Poor renditions of what some director thinks it should be. They don't capture the attitude and flavor of what it really is over their perception of what sells. So the audience gets turned off because they know they've been "had"

I'm game for it, as I am sure a lot of the "regulars" would pitch in to
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #278 (permalink)

Just curious how many people died up there. Seems like it must have happened somewhat regularly.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #279 (permalink)

Surprisingly enough deaths were few (thank god). There were injuries aplenty. And interestingly the ones that went over the side were lucky. The thick brush softened their progress down the hill.

One night after a pizza run we were driving back thru the hill from Coldwater towards Laurel. A set up 510 passed me and started really hauling. He got crossed up just past Beaumont and spun backwards to rest , temporarily, on the berm. Then , to our disbelief, we watched it barrel roll out of site down the hill.

We stopped and ran over to the side, not knowing what to expect. We were real hesitant to start climbing down a pitch black embankment filled with sharp brush. Suddenly we hear some noise and thrashing about. "Hey, are you okay?? can you hear us? Do you need help?" we cried. More thrashing and some unintelligible giberish. "HEY ! ARE YOU OKAY?!?"
Came the reply: "Yeah G-***n it ! I'm fine but my car is trashed ! Jeez- F**K, Sh**t ! " and more expletive vocabulary.

That's the way it usually went when someone went over. The ones that stayed on the road were not always so fortunate

Postscript: That particular 510 driver was the head of new product development on the Aurora HO scale slot cars! Turns out we "knew" each other from the MESAC slot car club that was active in those days
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 02-03-2007, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: