Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.22 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

[img]

Just another picture of wife's Mini

There needs to be a sign on the dash saying "Have wheels pointing straight before opening throttle"

The the shop when I went to pick it up.....
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads9/DSC014891169173041.jpg[/img]
Old 01-18-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

This thread is an absolute gift.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Wow, and a Mini with real A/C!!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

My best friend in 1988 was dating a girl who's father was a Vice cop. I took my pal around to see her in my B coupe and the father and I talk cars, tells me about when mullholland was his beat and the "jackasses" they used to find who went off road.

He and I chatted a bit here and there, the best part I think was his stories of chasing Steve McQueen's cobra.

They would sit up there waiting for a chase, no different i'm sure than the guys looking for a race. When they heard the pipes of the cobra coming they knew who it was and it made their night.

"allegedly" they had a deal with him. If they caught him they could ticket him, If he got away they wouldn't come knocking on his door.

true story, I swear.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Great read. I am sooooo old! Beverly High class of '59. Ran Mulholland 62 to 65 in my 1600s cpe. Old time mods as I recall..

Bursch exhaust, Al Cadrobbi (sp?) tuned. Goodyear Blue Streaks recapped with Dunlop pattern B7's front, R5's back. Rear wheels Porsche centers welded to Chev rims. Camber compensator (of course).

No dbl yellow, botts dots, etc. We would usually run at night so ya could see headlights coming. Lots of real race cars and fun stuff there.

To see and hear an RSK dicing with a Testa Rossa or D-Type Jag on city streets.... damnnnnnnnnn! I have got to drive somewhere today
99 996 Tip Cpe 'Dietrich'
www.thehowardagency.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOY2x-Uh6cU
Old 01-19-2007, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Don't get caught speeding in that motorized scooter.....
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to shoguneagle
This thread is the greatest!!! Nothing creates interest than personal involvement. The personal prospective makes this thread along with the stories. I hope these can be written down for others to enjoy.

I have enloyed this thread. I can not believe Dave at TRE Cup could be one of the "wild men" of the "Drive". Did the "Drive" once with Gene Asbury - Great Stuff and Great Driv e!!!

Coming from Northern California, it is hard to relate to the LA area and the "Drive" until you have actually done it.

Thanks for the great enjoyment and letting me particpate.

Steve Hurt
Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

There were two cops that "frequented" the Hill with regularity. The first one was on duty, sent up there as some sort of discipinary action. Seems he was caught snoozing in the back of his patrol car while on his late night shift. The supervisor figured he would have lots of action writing tickets up there Friday and Saturday nights.
He was a pretty friendly person and more interested in b.s-ing with us ; which actually curtailed our "racing" activities up there since he was right there chatting !

We gave him some advice on setting up his Volvo ES 1800 (the sportswagen version of the Swedish sports car) And sure enough he did: He showed up a couple times with it , Koni and Addco sway bar equipped.

One night while he was on duty, sitting in his Belvedere lights off amongst the CRE "team" on Bowmont, we were enjoying a nice round of BS when some hapless teen went sailing by in Mom's grocery getter. One of the guys actually waved a green flag (Hey- we were organized up there) sending Officer Friendly after him Code 3 !! That kid just got a warning as he was appropriately scared *****less when the Belvedere ran up on him.

The other cop was some guy that must have known what could happen with his job. He had a built up VW convertible that he drove with the top down all the time. With a fisherman's hat pulled tightly over his head, he would lurk up one of the darker streets waiting for some competition to come by. We could never chat with him- he would drive off
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Quote:
Originally posted by TRE Cup

We have a mk 3 here at the shop (one of the bourne identity studio cars no less) awaiting a Vtec transformation. Can't wait to scare myself silly!
Dave - when will the transplant occur? Being a Mini fan, I'd like to see the results.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mikez
Don't get caught speeding in that motorized scooter.....
Bite me Heh!
99 996 Tip Cpe 'Dietrich'
www.thehowardagency.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOY2x-Uh6cU
Old 01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Vtec mini conversion: just waiting for the crashed GSR to show up, then surgery begins!
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-19-2007, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Dave's getting Old

Time blurrs the memory, eh? Tommy (Deucer) had is own wild times on Mulholland however I'm betting that was Carpenter who tried to hind in someones garage. Did you let them know that your car of choice was a Pontiac Tempest??
'65 MGB (owned since 8/70)
Mountain Biker
Yeti 4-banger
Uni-cycle
Motorcyclist
4th '81 Honda CBX

"I just gota have more cow bells"
Old 01-20-2007, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Howard Agency
Bite me Heh!
Nice clip....but I can hear your aluminum walker in the trunk rattling around...ya need to use bungee cords to tie it down better.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Hey Victor! Tempest my car of choice? hardly, it was the mom's hand me down till i could make enough to buy the first mini! But the big slug helped me learn to drive; with only about 160 hp, drum brakes, and a 2 speed auto- I had to learn to be smooth and keep the momentum up. The Poncho vindicated itself somewhat at Willow for our "Xmas outing" with a respectable speed compared to the faster Hill times of the other cars.

Join in and tell us about that time you blew the doors off a mini with the big chevy your mom had
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Ya Moms wagon was real fast - down hill. All that glass on the side worked like an air brake when tossed slideways. Back then everything was fair game. If a fast car went faster than the wagon, no big deal. But when the wagon was faster - jaws were a-flappin. However, to be humble, I suppose looking in your rear view mirror in the Mini at the 5-MPH chrome battering ram of the wagon was pretty intimidating.

BTW, HPV & I will be soliciting CRE/Mulholland stories for our own book inasmuch as Banning left us out of his book. Cory Farley to write the forward, maybe?
'65 MGB (owned since 8/70)
Mountain Biker
Yeti 4-banger
Uni-cycle
Motorcyclist
4th '81 Honda CBX

"I just gota have more cow bells"
Old 01-20-2007, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Great stuff....Looks like the barbers weren't making much money in those days...
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 01-20-2007, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

I gave Chris B. the opportunity to contact most of the people within CRE and some MRA, other ACR "members" , but I think he was in a rush to finish his book. It certainly reads that way- lots of unfinished details, wholesale copying of Farley's article in the book, spelling mistakes, time line problems.
HPV has been bugging me to do the "real" story too

I'm third from the left with the striped shirt/ denim jacket- with the Tempest on the far left
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Please write another book! I am having a hard time getting through Bannings book . It is probably just me , and I do appreciate the effort but the book seems to be missing something . I think a new movie is order too ! In Nor Cal we had some spots up in the Bay Area but nothing like Mulholland...drag racing had the Great Highway and Brotherhood Way in San Francisco along with Canada road by the Water Tower down the peninsula , but other than that it was Four Corners (mostly bikes) , Hy-way 35 and the streets of Hillsborough... but none of those seemed to be as organized or have the ritual following of Mulholland . Truly a unique part of West Coast auto lore.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Please write another book!
x2

Great stories even for someone from Europe i would buy the book.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
DP935 member

The Bonzai Runners were another good group that some stories have been written about along with a movie or two.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 01-20-2007, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: