Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.22 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Quote:
Originally posted by kycarguy 935
The Bonzai Runners were another good group that some stories have been written about along with a movie or two.
Didn't one of those guys have a 911 with a hillborn injected chevy v8 in the back ?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

While I too apreciate the effort put into that book, I never did finish it either.
'65 MGB (owned since 8/70)
Mountain Biker
Yeti 4-banger
Uni-cycle
Motorcyclist
4th '81 Honda CBX

"I just gota have more cow bells"
Old 01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SSB
While I too apreciate the effort put into that book, I never did finish it either.
Those who have attempted to read Bannings book don't give themselves enough credit.

It's unreadable.

Collecting just the stories from this thread would make a better book.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

"Collecting just the stories from this thread would make a better book."

Exactly. So far the idea is to do first person interviews of the people involved. i.e. "Whats your favorite Mulholland memory" Then these stories are to be passed around to the other participants so that they can "critique" each others memories of the event. It always been a tough crowd when it came to being critiqued. However over the past 37 years CRE has stayed in touch with one another making this a very do-able project.
Mountain Biker
Yeti 4-banger
Uni-cycle
Motorcyclist
4th '81 Honda CBX

Old 01-20-2007, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Banned

This is HPV,Victor called to to set a date that we start compiling stories
So we begin !
Stay tuned.
Regards,HPV
Old 01-20-2007, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by hpv
This is HPV,Victor called to to set a date that we start compiling stories
So we begin !
Stay tuned.
Regards,HPV
And to think...

I just wanted to know what had happened to the RSR!

cool.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)
Banned

Another story, I was working SCCA events as a flag man and had remembered that Willlow Springs back in 1971 had a single chain
across entrance. It was 4:am too many cops on Muholland,hence
a little Tuhunga run,the Big Tuhunga alas I said were not that far from Willow,I said two guys hold up chain and we drive our cars under neath
to drive on track for the first Tribute to Lemans. Man was it dark comming into turn 9 with that decreasing radius turn even with Cessna aircraft landing lights in my high beams on my 510. Later in the ninties Bave B with POC Brought the Tribute to Lemans back to willow springs.
Those were the days.
HPV
Old 01-20-2007, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SSB
"Whats your favorite Mulholland memory"
Having the sushi forced out of me in a GT-2... it wasn't scared out of me, just pure G-forces pushing it...almost out.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 01-20-2007, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
I ran the Tribute in my single turbo car with Kevin Buckler as co driver back in 1996...we were pretty sure we won the race but apparently another car that looked like mine made the lap count confusing so they gave the race to Mark Mehalic...It was all good though because I got to watch my crew chief grab Bucky by the neck and lift him off the ground..the sight of watching Kevin run in place in the air while being lifted off the ground by his neck made it all worth it But Dave was not to disappoint....in July of that same year he put on the Ensenda GP and we headed south of the boarder...I thought , " Bouzaglou is crazy puttin on this race down here....but now I understand. Only a guy who cut his teeth on Mulholland would put on such a race... it was the roughest track I ever drove on but one of the most fun weekends I ever had racing... here she is in margheritaville , tore up from the floor up a month after the Tribute but still sporting those TRE decals . Thanks Dave !

Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

wow....i feel like such dweeb.

In '65-'66 I built this "Cobra Killer." Most everyone was drag racing, but I was buying factory "RPO" road race parts from Harry Mann Chevrolet. The tires on the car were from the local Firestone racing distributor which I think at the time was Caroll Shelby (not the ones you see on the chassis pic). I guess that was ironic. Anyway, I got it done and went to SCCA to see what class it would run. Well, just like my 914, it had so many changes that it was considered a GT. Forget that. It only had a 283 (sorry, I had originally typed in "327").

Next thing I knew, the Cobras had a 427. Game over.

But, I never made it up to Mulholland. Now this would have been awesome on that road, let me tell you. The doors weighed 4 lbs. apiece. You get the rest of the idea.

I really missed out on some great fun. Except, well, I did have this car. Yes, those are the real deal Halibrands.

Ducktail in '65? You bet!

Last edited by milt; 01-27-2007 at 01:55 PM..
Old 01-20-2007, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

you've gotta stop getting rid of all these cars...

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 01-20-2007, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
DP935 member

Quote:
Originally posted by VZ935
Didn't one of those guys have a 911 with a hillborn injected chevy v8 in the back ?
I think there was a article in Hot Rod magazine awhile back about a guy running a 454 with Hillborn Injection on alcohol in the back of a Carrera. Let me see if I can find the magazine article.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard Agency
Al Cadrobbi (sp?) tuned.
You spelled it right. He was one of my mentors and I was privelaged enough to apprentice with him during the summer of 1998. We took 6 or 7 cars to the Monterey Historics that year ... the year I got to drive a 718 RSK center-seater. WOOOT!!

But, yeah, "tuned by Cadrobbi" carries A LOT of weight for those in the know. In his heyday, that man could squeeze 20-30 more horsepower out of a 4 cam Carrera than the rest of the competition. He was a Webber MASTER.

Unfortunately, his talents were claimed by Parkisons.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Banned

Very well recived, those times are special. In the Ninty's the PCA Santa Barbara region was messing with little slaloms at Pt MUGU NAB. Problem
was runing a lame one lap on and off Solo one event. I educated President and others and was able to change rules to allow We had meetings and came up with 1994 POC Cup Races at NAS PT MUGU
We had Fire works show,on Ocean for us and Navy What a time it was.
Dave Bouzaglou my life long Freind & Bill Follmer and many others came to my house the next day
we celebratred fourth of July twice as Thousand Oaks had their celebration onthe fourth.
More Great Memorys,They just keep getting better'
One last Memory The first City Councilmember 82 years old, is my regular customer,in 1942 was enlisted with General Pattons Army Corp of Engineers,latert was elected to ventura County Planning department.
and on and on. A Great friend American !
Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Banned

Love the picture,I recogize most all usual susoects, I was unable to work
as I was busy at BHHH. I purchesd 1973 fORD Capri rwestored it and later sole it to Dave B's girlfriend the Recaro saeat ended in Daves Mini'
HPV
Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SSB

What is this from?!!?!?!?

Is there a whole article you could post as well?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
up-fixing der car(ma)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to YTNUKLR
Man.....too young to have ever been involved with this but jeez I love to have a beer with Dave and Jeremy and let the stories roll...!

(sorry nothing too constructive to add
Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by lfot
What is this from?!!?!?!?

Is there a whole article you could post as well?
So far I've only scanned the opening page. I'll get the rest scanned next weekend. However, it was the April '74 issue of Hot Rod Magazine (of all thing?!)
Mountain Biker
Yeti 4-banger
Uni-cycle
Motorcyclist
4th '81 Honda CBX

Old 01-22-2007, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

To help answer Chuck Moreland's question from a couple pages ago, this was shot at Grandstands. If you look to the right of the picture you can see the road which pretty much makes up the whole "circuit". From Grandstands you could see 80% of the racing.

In my day, we had another mad man with a station wagon who used to surprise some people on the hill. This wagon even had faux-wood siding, a 305CID Chev. motor and a set of Yokohama A-001Rs!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Limbo

Garage
More pictures if you guys have them, I love the 'good ol days' racing stuff. I grew up in that era but unfortunately not in that state. Plus I would have been in junior high/high school in the 80's.

And I love the Challenger in the above pic.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: