Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svandamme View Post
we don't have those in Europe
we have these :

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/134591/ce9f8f56/surprise_@_metro.html
Not wife/work safe.......but good fun.

George, Architect
Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Unfair and Unbalanced

Looks like a bunch of democrats on their way to a party function.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Around here it's pretty much only the ghetto trash like in the first video. I can't say I've ever seen anyone do a pole dance or take their top off on the trains here. And actually, given how most of the patrons look, that's just as well.

The sad thing is that first woman (the one cranked out on meth or whatever) is becoming more and more over-represented in our society. Your & my tax dollars are paying for people like that to breed.

The "T" in Boston is fantastic though. Perhaps the only urban transit system I've ever seen that's literally good enough to substitute for autos. It is entirely possible to live in Boston and never own a car - without any detriment. I did not get that feeling in any other city I've ever lived in (maybe NYC is the same way?)

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-07-2008, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
The sad thing is that first woman (the one cranked out on meth or whatever) is becoming more and more over-represented in our society. Your & my tax dollars are paying for people like that to breed.
This will be the death of America. Social programs like Medicaid and welfare (not to mention all of the programs that pay for low-income health insurance, childcare, etc.) encourage people without the means to breed. Regressive income taxes, capital gains taxes, luxury taxes, and caps on college aid discourage those with means.

Of course, I'm sure the politicians who have instituted these things view them as creating more voters for their party (who all expect handouts) while diminishing the voting pool for the opposition.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

M.T.A. Lyrics
From The Kingston Trio at Large
Date: 07/01/1959
Jacqueline Steiner/Bess Hawes
Spoken:
These are the times that try men's souls. In the course of our nation's history, the people of Boston have rallied bravely whenever the rights of men have been threatened. Today, a new crisis has arisen. The Metropolitan Transit Authority, better known as the M.T.A., is attempting to levy a burdensome tax on the population in the form of a subway fare increase. Citizens, hear me out! This could happen to you!

(Eight bar guitar, banjo introduction)

Well, let me tell you of the story of a man named Charley
on a tragic and fateful day.
He put ten cents in his pocket, kissed his wife and family,
went to ride on the M.T.A.

Chorus:
Well, did he ever return? No, he never returned and
his fate is still unknown.
(What a pity! Poor ole Charlie. Shame and scandal.
He may ride forever. Just like Paul Revere.)
He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston.
He's the man who never returned.

Charlie handed in his dime at the Kendall Square Station
and he changed for Jamaica Plain.
When he got there the conductor told him, "One more nickel."
Charlie couldn't get off of that train.
(Chorus)
Now, all night long Charlie rides through the station,
crying, "What will become of me?!!
How can I afford to see my sister in Chelsea
or my cousin in Roxbury?"
(Chorus)
Charlie's wife goes down to the Sculley Square Station
every day at quarter past two,
And through the open window she hands Charlie a sandwich
as the train comes rumblin' through.
(Chorus)
Now, you citizens of Boston, don't you think it's a scandal
how the people have to pay and pay?
Fight the fare increase! Vote for George O'Brien!
Get poor Charlie off the M. T. A.
(Chorus)
Et tu Charlie?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm moving to NY!
'16 BMW R Nine T, '17 BMW G310R, '21 BMW R1250RS
Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Slackerous Maximus

I used mass transit extensively in Chicago and Boston. Both olders systems that worked great for me.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Chicago's el is fine, but only in certain areas. And like Boston, you have to live in the city proper.

I lived in Westmont (suburb of Chicago) for two years and lived off the commuter rail line, then walked from Union Station to the university. I didn't need a car for my day-in, day-out life - it was actually kind of nice.

The downside to it is you do end up keeping a car for emergencies or 2-in-the-morning situations when the trains don't run, or to go out of town or whatever, but the cost of paying to keep a car around, insurance, etc. for something you use so infrequently gets really annoying. . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-07-2008, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

DC's Metro is OK, but pricey, IMO.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Bannd

Garage
many decades ago, my aunt went to the NoLa zoo - got sprayed by a leopard, then had to take the streetcar back home reeking of male leopard piss...

one of our better family stories
Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The economics depend a lot on the additional costs associated with driving.

In SF, parking under your Class A office building is $25-35/day or monthly $300-plus. Plus $3 bridge tolls, and gas. So taking BART, even at $8/round trip, is financially a no-brainer. Avoiding traffic and having an extra 30 min to go through your email on the laptop, is an added plus.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN View Post
...it's usually dirty smelly lowlifes begging for money or touching themselves.
My wife makes the same complaint/comment when I'm riding in the car with her.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
This will be the death of America. Social programs like Medicaid and welfare (not to mention all of the programs that pay for low-income health insurance, childcare, etc.) encourage people without the means to breed. Regressive income taxes, capital gains taxes, luxury taxes, and caps on college aid discourage those with means.

Of course, I'm sure the politicians who have instituted these things view them as creating more voters for their party (who all expect handouts) while diminishing the voting pool for the opposition.
Take it easy Legion. She was irritating wasn't she? However, you realize she wasn't representative of anyone except herself, don't you? Probably too many Red Bulls. Thank God she wasn't Samoan.

If you're so uptight about being in public, there's always traveling by private cocoon car.

The subway strippers might be a better alternative than some morning talk radio jocks.

I wonder how guys on the train would react to a male stripper? Do women perceive same sex strippers in the same way? I suspect it's different, otherwise you'd see more male strippers without facial bruises.

Sherwood
Old 06-07-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Has anyone noticed an increase in public transportation security?

The DHS recieved a lot of federal taxes for the purpose of protecting Americans in crowded, public places.
I hope it was put to good use, and not just spent on Navigators(ied resistant) and Rolexs (to coordinate counter-terrorist strikes).
Old 06-07-2008, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post

“The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government, they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can’t get and promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time it is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction of the sale of stolen goods.”

-H.L. Mencken
Old 06-07-2008, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Bannd

Garage
I'm still trying to figure out how to stop everybody from breeding...
Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Some of you guys sound like delicate flowers that shouldn't be exposed to such things. Better hustle back up to the country club and find a nice bridge game.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
Has anyone noticed an increase in public transportation security?

The DHS recieved a lot of federal taxes for the purpose of protecting Americans in crowded, public places.
I hope it was put to good use, and not just spent on Navigators(ied resistant) and Rolexs (to coordinate counter-terrorist strikes).
It's such a JOKE in DC, where any kind of terrorist attack would totally paralyze the city. That nutcase on his tractor in the fountain said he had a bomb and the feds let the guy hold up traffic and continue making threats for days without capping his as$. Once in a while you'll see the Metro Transit police with dogs and SMG's. But how in the world is that gonna stop a suicide bomber? Those cops look like special ops wannabes even when they're not carrying anything more than a sidearm with the tactical leg holster. We are doomed if smart terrorists ever make it to DC.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Banned

A great example of why it is not good to be a peon and good to be well off. Work hard, get a good job, Drive your Porsche to work, let the peons have to put up with the other riff raff.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
A great example of why it is not good to be a peon and good to be well off. Work hard, get a good job, Drive your Porsche to work, let the peons have to put up with the other riff raff.
I agree. But I have it even better now - I work from home!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: