Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 3.65 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks Lubie! Age and injury have all but relegated me to the spectator gallery these days, but it's amazing to see what is going down in the biggest of surf these days. I am trying to open a portal for a glimse into the world of todays surfing
for my fellow pelicans.
Not having luck posting links for ya.
On Youtube
Tow Session Highlights, Billabong Pro Tahiti Event Recap

Just google billabong tahiti pro and look for tow surfing and slow motion high lights, sit back and hold on.
Any one help me with a link?
Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 08-30-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

closest I ever came to surfing was in Newport RI back in the early 80's - was have'n 'relations' with a young lass in the surf when a breaker the size of a bus broke down on top of us. I felt like I tunmbled for 10 minutes. Took awhile to find my trunks and even longer to find her! Needless to say it spoiled the moment for an hour or so.

I have sense stayed away from waves of any size or dimension! When the surf speaks you best listen...
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 08-30-2011, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Retired Member

I started boarding while still skiing in my mid 30's. I went full time boarding around 13 years ago. I haven't been skiing since.
The first few times can be discouraging however once you get it it's a rush.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Just google billabong tahiti pro and look for tow surfing and slow motion high lights, sit back and hold on.
Any one help me with a link?
Cheers Richard
Here you go: WARNING!!! Sick Pits Ahead!!!

In massive Tahitian waves, the most incredible day of surfing ever?
"If its worth doing...it's worth doing to excess"
Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowyder993s View Post
SICK!!!! I don't know how those guys can even survive a wipeout like that. That's gotta hurt!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
That is some of it, thanks for posting. But this week was exceptional in so many ways. One of the biggest swells in memory, Lots of the best riders in the world there, and enough warning of the swell coming that most of the swell chasing tow teams were able to be there for it. Also the ASP video team were there and had that fantastic slow motion HD camera with them. This has all come together to produce some of the most beautiful, amazing, frightful, artistic, surfing action footage ever. there is lots more to see. Google the slow motion and tow highlights for some of the best.

SICK!!!! I don't know how those guys can even survive a wipeout like that. That's gotta hurt!

Motion, I'm with you on this. some of those wipeouts seemed not survivable. And if not for the Tahitian water patrol on their jet skis, there would undoubtedly have been more injuries. Probably worse.

I'm hoping others here will look into more of this amazing footage, its the best.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-31-2011, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
LA county has been going off today. Solid 4-7' with double overhead at some breaks. According to surfline.com the Wedge was 12-15' with some triple overhead sets. Supposed to stay that way for the next few days. I predict many rescues at the beach this weekend...
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Heading to Old Mans tomorrow at dawn. Cant wait.
2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Kevin that is so cool with the flairs. fun idea.

Nostatic, that swell is the same one that went thru Tahiti for the contest over the last week, Its been being tracked for almost two weeks. From a storm to the south of New Zealand. It just came here as a large swell also. Neat how this long range forecasting works.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Ah ha, New Zealand. I've heard of that place - lots of sheep or something.

Actually that storm was so bad, and cold, I couldn't type straight. It was the biggest, and only, time I've ever been amongst snow. A huge low pressure that got held in place for a week by a couple of high pressures and gave us a jetstream of arctic cold air. I'm 52 and had never seem anything like it and yes we had huge swells for a week.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Tax man in the water...at Swami's from a couple nites ago. There have been 2-3 sightings further down the coast, and a 1/2 eaten seal carcass gaffed and brought up on the OB pier. We should be trunking it right now, but it's comfortable in a 4/3
My son snapped his board yesterday...

"If its worth doing...it's worth doing to excess"
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
big this morning
2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 09-02-2011, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Bill don't tell us that you had to change out of your shorts and knee sox.
You do see some weather in the wellington area, cold wind blowing thru the straight.
This storm sounds like a gnarly one (someone had to use that word) bet it rearranged the sand bars out front. Do you see much windsurfing and kiting there in the bay where you live?

Cheers Richard
Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Seldom Seen Member

Gawkers gather as sharks cruise off San Diego - latimes.com

Got nachos?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Bill don't tell us that you had to change out of your shorts and knee sox.
You do see some weather in the wellington area, cold wind blowing thru the straight.
This storm sounds like a gnarly one (someone had to use that word) bet it rearranged the sand bars out front. Do you see much windsurfing and kiting there in the bay where you live?

Cheers Richard
Yes it's a sweet spot but the weather Today is just perfect but it's not always like this. If somewhere else is blowing 20 knots we are blowing 40.

I used to windsurf and liked the big days. I remmember one day was a metre above mast hight and that was lots of fun but I stopped after about 10 years as my body was getting too knocked around and it was expensive - six sails, three boards... And then putting my foot through a six hundred dollar sail But yes, lots of windsurfers and even more kiteboards.

The sand bars are really nice right now, and I'm ashamed of myself not being out there. That's why I'm thinking of getting a standup paddleboard (SUP) to get me out there a bit more.

Haha knee sox, we haven't worn those since the '70s Even then I thought it was pretty weird. I think we must have been the only country in the world where grown men wore beige shorts and white knee sox.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Didn't have time to surf... work keeps getting in the way. Besides, lowyder993s's little picture creeps me out a bit...
Old 09-02-2011, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Tax man in the water...at Swami's from a couple nites ago. There have been 2-3 sightings further down the coast, and a 1/2 eaten seal carcass gaffed and brought up on the OB pier. We should be trunking it right now, but it's comfortable in a 4/3
My son snapped his board yesterday...

If there was a tax man or a Lawyer in the water, they would both be safe. Why? Professional courtesy!!!

Neil

1987 Carrera, Grand Prix White, 2009 Carrera C4S, Meteor Grey Metallic
(X) [B] 2011 BMW X5[B]
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts'
Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
I saw the mention that La Jolla reefs were closed yesterday due to a shark sighting in the kiddie pool. When I surfed Ocean Beach up in San Francisco seeing anything in the water would freak me out. Something about the great white breeding ground that is up there...

Too big for me at the moment, though I'm judging off video feeds. I'm not in good enough shape at the moment to charge big waves. It'll taper off later this weekend I think. We just need some Santa Anas to clean up the faces. It's remained overcast here a lot.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Banned

Even Doheney had nice waves yesterday and today.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: