Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 3.71 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Tweeze

My Own Surfing Thread!

In light of all the surfers out there who want to talk surfing, I thought I would quit hijacking the Who's Who thread. And no, I didn't use the search button to see if there was another thread about surfing because this is the Tweez surfing thread.

So, surfing Pelicans out there, give me tips, pics, anything that can help this new surfer out. Gonna go to the Huntington Beach/Laguna Beach area in the next couple weeks. Does anybody know someone that gives good private lessons?

And on a side note, any snowboarders out there? I only know one girlfriend who snowboards. And she's new like me. Don't know many my age... like I said before, I love watching the kids out there doing their tricks in the park but don't like hanging out with them. As I am sure they don't like hanging out with me...

And in honor of Richard who lives in Hawaii (so jealous), mahalo! Let's see some pics of you surfing, Richard!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Surf lessons Los Angeles

Huntington or Newport are good breaks as long as you aren't out on a perfect day trying to surf the same peak as the locals. I'm partial to Zuma (north end of Malibu) but it is less beginner friendly for stand-up surfing - pretty fast and nasty hollow wave. Just right for bodyboarding

Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
more zuma

Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezers74 View Post
So, surfing Pelicans out there, give me tips, pics, anything that can help this new surfer out. Gonna go to the Huntington Beach/Laguna Beach area in the next couple weeks. Does anybody know someone that gives good private lessons?
I'm just south of Laguna Beach, in Monarch Beach. I snowboard, but don't surf. Shoot me a PM if you need any recommends on things to do/see.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
I ski, but don't surf...

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 08-26-2011, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
I'm just south of Laguna Beach, in Monarch Beach. I snowboard, but don't surf. Shoot me a PM if you need any recommends on things to do/see.
I was going to say "said the spyder to the fly" but people have been so touchy lately I decided I'd better not.
P.S. if green denotes sarcasm, what color is humor?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just saw this thread. So I shifted this over from the Who's who thread.

I too love surfing and windsurfing. And agree with Tweez in that it is about the place that you do it as well as the fun of the activity.

Its a bit rare to get pics of yourself surfing, and there isn't much special about these waves. But check out the spot.
http://www.pbase.com/affablebeef/image/45261522

Google Honopu bch. sorry lost the link.

In over two decades hanging on this coast, this day was the first time I had seen all the sand in front of the arch all washed out. We were riding right under the arch, then a rip would take us along the cliff almost back to the line up spot. Good fun.

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 08-26-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP73 View Post
I was going to say "said the spyder to the fly" but people have been so touchy lately I decided I'd better not.
P.S. if green denotes sarcasm, what color is humor?
Ha ha! Spyder to the fly! That is hilarious! Nice play on words. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Don't listen to these guys, Tweez. I'm harmless, I promise
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
Don't listen to these guys, Tweez. I'm harmless, I promise
Is that you in the orange wig on your avatar? Harmless??? Hmmm...
Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Where are the snowboarders???!!! Maybe I need to start another thread for that. I actually like snowboarding more than surfing since I suck at surfing right now.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Btw Richard, I responded to you in the other thread! And nostatic, awesome pictures. I will remember that... Zuma.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
My body won't do snowboarding, and I sucked at it anyway. Which is odd as I grew up skateboarding. But I didn't get on snow until a late age and was better on skis. These days though I don't do either as tai chi is tough enough on my knees
Old 08-26-2011, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hey Tweez, Thanks for the shout out. If you are heading to the Islands this spring, you should consider a visit to kauai. Its quite a contrast to Honolulu.
We have some good beginner spots here. My 9 yo son Adrian is getting into board surfing. Maybe could get your kids started. I know some hot firemen who would be into giving you all kinds of lessons. Ha ha.

I am scratching around looking for a good shot of me carving a top turn on a good wave on my windsurfer, I'll keep looking. This is a fun idea for a thread, look forward to some snowboarding shots.

Nostatic, I hear you on the physical limitations. I've got a shoulder that is keeping me from any serious surfing or windsurfing right now. Working on rehabbing, hoping to be back at it soon.

Cheers
Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I've not met Motion, but I've met Nostatic and a number of others here. I would trust them with my children. Motion is the kind of guy I'd like to have in my work group, as you would never know when the next practical joke was imminent. Without a doubt, that orange wig guy is his image. The kind of guy I'm glad didn't go over to the dark side.

I am a good skier on land or water, nimble (for an old fart), athletic, coordinated. Never surfed, but it looks easy. I think that means it must be easy.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
mph911

Cool...a surfing thread.
I've been surfing 35 of my almost 40 years alive. It would be great to see who surfs on pelican.
I had an Aussie mate (pro surfer) that was doing private lessons in LA, he's back in OZ now but can find out who else does lessons.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

My only fault is that I do like to harass the wimmens

Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

Ol Motion has a heart like a 10,000 psi piston pump and was born with three testicles! Few can match his appitite for speed and success. He had to move to Montana because the sky in Cal got too small for all he had done. He is one of those people that after you have met him your glad you did...
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I used to love surfing at Half Moon Bay and Cowells when I was traveling out West. After I left that job and started to snowboard here, it didn't feel right, feet strapped to the board. So I bolted magnets to the heel and toe of some old work boots and JBWelded sheetmetal to my snowboard to mix the two. Worked great until ice built up on the boots and magnets. You could move around on the board and it felt so much more natural. Battery heaters would work I think. Might revisit it this year. was definitely fun.

Tried surfing in NH. Just not worth it sadly.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I don't have any recent pics (that is mainly because I haven't been out for a while) but here is one of me out the front of the house a few years ago.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: