Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 3.65 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Waves

Living in south Florida we only have decent waves a few times a year ....a swell..during the winter...rest of the time we get small blown out chop...past 3 days though...hurricane Irene turned the wind off shore and Thursday nite before dark was 8-10 and yesterday was 5-6 as good as it gets

1975 Carrera #116 3.6 guards red sold
1980 911sc Talbot Yellow got back!! 1978 911sc 3.6 Sold
1996 993 tt white Sold. 1997 993tt red Sold 1986 930 sold
1986 491 Prussian blue sold 2002 tt white sold
1996 993tt adventurine/gray 1987 carrera with a 3.8
Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

All right Mike5876, got to love those hurricane swells, usually the best surf of the year.
Got to pull out that 7'6". Hope you got some good ones.
I grew up surfing Brevard county, and lifeguarding in Satellight Bch. Always looked forward to the surf potential of hurricane season. (Don't let Vinman or skytrooper hear ya). The surfers stoked and getting the waves of the year, every one else is worrying and hating life, funny!

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 08-28-2011 at 12:34 AM..
Old 08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Woot!!!

Photos of me at my home break in Florida. Warm water and good times.....

Surfing is a way of life - truly. Best advice on improving your skills - get a surfin' buddy and make a pact to go out every day no matter what. Also - find a board maker who knows what he's doing and get your boards from him. In fact - try to buy his old boards when he's done with them. Still stoked ~ Baz
Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun 84 Targa View Post
Tried surfing in NH. Just not worth it sadly.
I'll bet it will be awesome surfing tomorrow!!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezers74 View Post
IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE??!!

. picking up surfing when you're 37... it would be a pipe dream.
Pipe dream, good pun, I get it Pipeline Hawaii .

Actually, a guy a few doors along who is much older than 37 and VERY unfit said he wanted to take up surfing. I didn't want to be a killjoy and tell him it's not going to happen. BUT, I have to eat my words (thoughts) in one year he has got to be quite good. And he goes out a lot so he is one step ahead of me.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Very active surfer and snowboarder here from long beach ca. Ive been surfing off and on for 20 years and snowboarding every season for the last 15.

Huntington is great for a beginner when its smaller and on the right tides its not a heavy break at all, in fact tomorrow looks really fun, i'll be out! If it gets too big in huntington head north to seal beach, lots of longboarders flock here as its way more mellow. During the summer big south swells make the river jetties on the north side break and its so much fun, winter time north side pier is fun on the better nw swells. Just be aware that there are lots of stingrays here because of the warm water from the power plant, maybe beware of radiocactive water, haha! Just got back from a trip to indonesia, all i can say is wow! Go here if you can, epic surf everyday!!!

For me snowboarding in socal is just alright, bear and mt high are just so crowded all the time, mt baldy is cool and has a more big mountain feel but lift lines can be killer. I prefer to go to tahoe or mammoth, and i usually get up to the pnw at least once a year.

Im always looking for new people to ride with, we should get a pelicans surf or snowboard day going sometime!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2911 View Post
Very active surfer and snowboarder here from long beach ca. Ive been surfing off and on for 20 years and snowboarding every season for the last 15.

Huntington is great for a beginner when its smaller and on the right tides its not a heavy break at all, in fact tomorrow looks really fun, i'll be out! If it gets too big in huntington head north to seal beach, lots of longboarders flock here as its way more mellow. During the summer big south swells make the river jetties on the north side break and its so much fun, winter time north side pier is fun on the better nw swells. Just be aware that there are lots of stingrays here because of the warm water from the power plant, maybe beware of radiocactive water, haha! Just got back from a trip to indonesia, all i can say is wow! Go here if you can, epic surf everyday!!!

For me snowboarding in socal is just alright, bear and mt high are just so crowded all the time, mt baldy is cool and has a more big mountain feel but lift lines can be killer. I prefer to go to tahoe or mammoth, and i usually get up to the pnw at least once a year.

Im always looking for new people to ride with, we should get a pelicans surf or snowboard day going sometime!
I drive by big bear smiling every time i go to mammoth. bryce and i have season passes. a buddy of mine thinks im crazy but mammoth is so much better.
2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
This thread was instrumental in getting me out in the water yesterday for a late afternoon session. Our new house is about a 5 min drive to a reasonable beach break at the border of Santa Monica and Venice. Nothing special but at least some sets that were 2-3'. No bad days...
Old 08-28-2011, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2911 View Post
I prefer to go to tahoe or mammoth, and i usually get up to the pnw at least once a year.

I am always looking for new people to ride with, we should get a pelicans surf or snowboard day going sometime!
I am so down with that idea! Let's do it! I have never been to Mammoth and heard it is awesome! Kind of a pain to fly into though. I have been to Alpine and Squaw up in Tahoe. Winterpark in CO. Snow is so much better than what we have at our little AZ resorts. And hey, I am going to be in Long Beach all next week! Where do you go surfing? Know anybody who gives lessons? Want to fit in a session or two next week if I can... PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Actually, a guy a few doors along who is much older than 37 and VERY unfit said he wanted to take up surfing. I didn't want to be a killjoy and tell him it's not going to happen. BUT, I have to eat my words (thoughts) in one year he has got to be quite good. And he goes out a lot so he is one step ahead of me.
Ahhhh... this guys gives me hope. Although not much. Again, I live in AZ! I need to make a lot of money and move to CA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelab View Post
I drive by big bear smiling every time i go to mammoth. bryce and i have season passes. a buddy of mine thinks im crazy but mammoth is so much better.
Let's plan a Mammoth Pelican trip!!!!! Pretty please?!!! And where are the chicks? I need to find some estrogen to ride with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
This thread was instrumental in getting me out in the water yesterday for a late afternoon session. Our new house is about a 5 min drive to a reasonable beach break at the border of Santa Monica and Venice. Nothing special but at least some sets that were 2-3'.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo! Good for you, nostatic! So cool! Keep going and keep us updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Woot!!! Surfing is a way of life - truly. Best advice on improving your skills - get a surfin' buddy and make a pact to go out every day no matter what.
Holy mother!!! Awesome pictures, Baz!!!! Post more! And ummm... can't go out every day. I live in AZ. Like I said, I need to make a ton of money somehow and move to CA... It is going to be a slow process with all my crazy hobbies. Still saving up for my 911s.

MORE PICS, PEOPLE!!! And where are the snowboarding pictures? I don't have any of me going down the mountain... have some sitting on my butt! LOL!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
I used to slide down the slag piles in my old neighborhood when I was a kid, does that count?

University of Michigan | Museum of Art (UMMA)
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 08-28-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Quote:
I used to slide down the slag piles in my old neighborhood when I was a kid, does that count?
I would let you know if I knew what slag was... What the heck is that and how did you slide down it?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone hauling their surfboard on their P-car? Yakima/Thule?
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 08-28-2011, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Heads up, The Billabong Pro Tahiti is on today with really good conditions, a bit inconsistant but the sets are grinding barrels. This place is off the charts as far as powerful tubes go. Its streaming live.

Baz, You are ripping with that fish. the day with the boats in the back ground looks sweet. Nice pics.

Nostatic, good on you. fun to hit it again, yes? Did your son go out with you?

Cheers Richard
Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Hey Tweez, don't be hard on yourself as a beginner. We are all kooks a first. but the magic and rush of being in the wave zone and feeling the slide for the first times is new and freshest at the beginning. Just enjoy the grins. The form and performance come in time, but those first impressions only come in the beginning.
Thanks for starting this thread. Looking for some good snow pics.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezers74 View Post
I would let you know if I knew what slag was... What the heck is that and how did you slide down it?
Slag is like gravel, it's a light weight stone-like thing which is a by-product of making steel. They use it in concrete blocks and a few other items.

You tend to sink into it fast unless you keep moving, at some point you have to jump out of it, and then you just slide down at incredible speeds. No boards needed, just flat bottom Chuck Taylor Converse basketball shoes.

It's sort of like sand surfing. It's more dangerous than that, urban legend (a mother's worries) says children have been buried alive by the falling slag.

Moving to New Zealand--Sandfly Bay

I have tried a little body surfing in the Great lakes, best tried between the ages of 13-16.
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 08-28-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post

Nostatic, good on you. fun to hit it again, yes? Did your son go out with you?
Yup, and he's finally riding outside/set waves. We made it out today as well and took two of his friends. A bit more size and a longer session. Walked from the new house and back too. Pretty beat and now have to go do a 3 hour gig. Oh well, could be worse...
Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Yep Nostatic it could be way worse, back to back days in the water with your son. That is a good kind of worn out!! Its cool that your new place is walking distance to the Bch.

I have been mentioning the coverage of the Billabong pro in Tahiti. It was fantastic. Did anyone watch? There was a day off from competition due to the swell being too big for paddle surfing. They showed the most unbelievable footage of massive waves being towed into by some of the best guys and woman in the world, Many flew in just for this swell. It was mind blowing!! Saw what looked to be unsurvivable wipe outs, and guys getting pitted so deep in these monsters and making it out.
And there was Keala Kennelly going off!
I'll look for a link.

This was epic, historic action. I hope some of you got to see.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Been at it over 35 yrs...prefer sandbars and beach breaks to reefs.
Son and I on a boat trip to Witch's and Ollie's in Costa Rica in 07.

Bryce at Tea Trees in Australia 09.

Going back to CR at the end of the year.
"If its worth doing...it's worth doing to excess"
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

tevake - this language you speak...is not of this place...far too cool n collect'd bro. You must thrash and flame!
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I've tried body surfing on PNW beaches. First, the water is COLD. Second thing I learned is that body surfing is a great way to get scratches on your belly and your pockets filled with sand.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: