Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 3.65 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
My only fault is that I do like to harass the wimmens

Amateur gynecologist?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

All right Bill, short boarding it from behind the hook. Did you make it?

I spent a year in the north part of the North Island, in the mid 90s. When we were rebuilding our boat in Whangerei. Loved it there, chilly water tho.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Tomorrow may be epic in the Billabong Pro Tahiti supposed to be a big new swell arriving. quarter finals and more. Check it out if you can.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Cool thread, Surfing is one of the few things that I have a strong love for , but have never really got to dig into well enough. Of course living 8 hours from the closest ocean, and really 10-12 hours from any decent surfing spots has put a slight damper on it. I am leaving for the Outer banks in 3 weeks, and will be in the water every day. I have a couple of boards.
For a few summers of my life I would shoot to the beach every chance I could get out of town for more than a couple of days, and go camp at the beach and surf ( try to surf). I am jealous of some of you guys who had the opportunity to come up surfing.
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Immature Member

Garage
I feel kinda left out. I don't ride the waves... I make them.

I have great admiration for those who can change direction on a board without being strapped in. I'm not worthy.
"Lowering the bar with every post!"
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezers74 View Post
I
So, surfing Pelicans out there, give me tips, pics, anything that can help this new surfer out. Gonna go to the Huntington Beach/Laguna Beach area in the next couple weeks.
I've lived in Newport and the Newport area for a long time.

Huntington/Newport/Laguna can have nice waves, but they tend to build fast and close out fast. For expert surfers who can give it a couple strong paddles and then get up on their board, all within around 2 seconds, it isn't a problem. But typically those areas are tough for beginners.

My son went surfing for the first time this past week with some friends down south a little further. San Clemente/San Onofre area. Those waves are typically a little smaller and slower, more "beginner friendly."
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Bryce ripping

2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
All right Bill, short boarding it from behind the hook. Did you make it?

I spent a year in the north part of the North Island, in the mid 90s. When we were rebuilding our boat in Whangerei. Loved it there, chilly water tho.

Cheers Richard
Actually I did, but it doesn't look like I would by the photo. That board takes off like it's been fired out of a slingshot. That day the sandbars were setup perfectly and the waves would just keep on and on, steep righnt up to a munchy shorebreak.

Chilly water, argh, it's warm compaired with horrible ole Wellington.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Im heading to Old Mans first thing. See you all out there.
2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 08-27-2011, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
I've never done either, but I would love to learn.. Just haven't found the chance, or a teacher yet...
Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

You better watch out Sidney, Once you get a taste of the energy and fun of playing in the surf on a good day. You will be looking for a way to move to the coast. Not a bad thing. It just kind of redirects your life.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Dude, I am looking for a way out so hard its not even funny....
Old 08-27-2011, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
I'm a boarder, 43yrs old and still going strong maybe even getting better

First tried it at the tender age of 23 over 4 quite painful days, after a 17yr break I moved to Italy and now into my 3rd season and won't stop until I'm too old to stand. I'm the only boarder in my group but I don't have any trouble keeping up so I can't be too bad.

Tried skiing and couldn't get on with it as I'm more of a balance orientated guy rather than cooridination so snow boarding really 'clicked' for me.

My board is one of my all time favourite possessions and I would go back into my burning house to save it.

Never tried surfing but have done skate boarding, knee boarding, skurfing with some degree of skill. I will try surfing but will probably leave it until I'm 50 as I want to have something new and fun to do later on in life.
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2

Last edited by Captain Ahab Jr; 08-27-2011 at 02:55 AM..
Old 08-27-2011, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodave View Post
I ...don't surf...
Is yer name Victor Charly?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
My body won't do snowboarding, and I sucked at it anyway. Which is odd as I grew up skateboarding.
Yeah, one of my surfing instructors from NorCal told me to get a skateboard and skate around in AZ since I don't have waves. Want to get a Hamboard. Have you seen one of these things? Google it...

Quote:
We have some good beginner spots here. My 9 yo son Adrian is getting into board surfing. Maybe could get your kids started. I know some hot firemen who would be into giving you all kinds of lessons. Ha ha.

I am scratching around looking for a good shot of me carving a top turn on a good wave on my windsurfer, I'll keep looking.
Yes, one of the reasons why I want to return... want to get my 6 year old son out there. He is a fish and I think he would love it. And find those pictures, gosh darn it! I can look at surfing/snowboarding pics and videos all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph911 View Post
Cool...a surfing thread.
I've been surfing 35 of my almost 40 years alive. It would be great to see who surfs on pelican. I had an Aussie mate (pro surfer) that was doing private lessons in LA, he's back in OZ now but can find out who else does lessons.
Yes, please check with your "mate" (Love that! I am a sucker for that Aussie accent!). I am going to be in the LA area A LOT in the next couple of months. Would love to get a consistent instructor... take advantage of the time I am near water for an extended amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
My only fault is that I do like to harass the wimmens
OK, Motion, you ARE kind of funny. I actually know the Laguna area pretty well. Hang there often... have a condo there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun 84 Targa View Post
After I left that job and started to snowboard here, it didn't feel right, feet strapped to the board. So I bolted magnets to the heel and toe of some old work boots and JBWelded sheetmetal to my snowboard to mix the two. Worked great until ice built up on the boots and magnets. You could move around on the board and it felt so much more natural. Battery heaters would work I think. Might revisit it this year. was definitely fun.
Surfed in Santa Cruz... a lot of kelp. That was interesting going fast and then dead stopping in a middle of a wave. And your snowboard contraption... interesting. That would make it easier than strapping in and out of your board. That might be a concept serious boarders might be interested in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
I don't have any recent pics (that is mainly because I haven't been out for a while) but here is one of me out the front of the house a few years ago.
IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE??!! That is crazy! Awesome pic by the way. I can't imagine ever being good enough to get on one of those fast slick short boards. I would love to because I imagine it would be such a high to cut those waves with it but ummm... picking up surfing when you're 37... it would be a pipe dream.

Quote:
Tomorrow may be epic in the Billabong Pro Tahiti supposed to be a big new swell arriving. quarter finals and more.
Just watched some clips from this... OMG! Those guys are crazy sick AMAZING!!!! Some of those drops... Yikes! Love watching them come out of those barrels. Again, I can watch those videos all day. I get a high just watching them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
Huntington/Newport/Laguna can have nice waves, but they tend to build fast and close out fast. For expert surfers who can give it a couple strong paddles and then get up on their board, all within around 2 seconds, it isn't a problem. But typically those areas are tough for beginners.
San Clemente/San Onofre area.
Yeah, I went surfing in Laguna and although I got up on every wave, man! I ate it when the wave would break. Not like when I was out in Hawaii and there was a coral break instead of a sand break. I could just plop into the ocean. Yeah, I got pummeled a couple times in Laguna but waves fast and fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
I'm a boarder, 43yrs old and still going strong maybe even getting better First tried it at the tender age of 23 over 4 quite painful days, after a 17yr break I moved to Italy and now into my 3rd season and won't stop until I'm too old to stand. My board is one of my all time favourite possessions and I would go back into my burning house to save it.
You sound like me. I tried while I was "young", 20, and after two painful days as well, didn't go back. Decided at 36, I am going to do it no matter what. Got obsessed after one season, got a board (I love mine as well. Named him Armando 'cause he is THAT sexy. And yes, I probably would run back into a burning house to rescue him as well.), and now, this will be my 3rd season. I am not the greatest but I LOVE being out there in the snow and just enjoying the rush. And Italy! I want to go visit Europe (have family out there) and board the Alps, Swiss and French. Would be so awesome! I need to find somebody in the states to board with!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Here are some other pics of me in Hawaii... although not shredding it, I like the pictures because you can see downtown Honolulu in the background in the first one. (Atlhough my sister says it looks like I am doing a Michael Jackson crotch grab!) And in the second one, you can see Diamondhead Crater in the background. Third pic, part of my brag book... LOL! Have one for my snowboard injuries too. Got this sucker when another newbie surfer ran into me while my back was still to the ocean after getting off a wave. Turned around and saw a board coming right at my face. Guess i should be happy she didn't plow into my face! And come on guys and gals! I want to see some surfing and snowboarding pics!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Not for beginners

tow out surfing, Lincoln City, Oregon. The word goes out via internet when it looks like the heavies are coming in. Then they come...the big wave riders...not a good pic here...lifted from a newspaper, but might give an idea. Reef break, so need jetski tows to get to the waves.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
My board is one of my all time favourite possessions and I would go back into my burning house to save it.
Just for you since you understand my love for my Armando! Pictures don't do him justice...

Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
I see you

I have surfed the ocean and the mountains. I have an original Sims Switchblade, Wooden downhiller and it weighs a ton! Luv it!! I also still have my Gordon and Smith longboard. It weighs 2 tons!!

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum

Last edited by flatbutt; 08-27-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARISC View Post
Amateur gynecologist?
So now he is hanging out with the Ducati chicks? Or is Yamaha > Rossi? Looks like he is even having a hard time on the Duc.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 08-27-2011, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: