Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just inherited this 911

I donít know anything about it. I canít tell if it has a 3.2 swapped in or if itís a retrofit to the 3.0.

I would like to keep it and put some money into it. It hasnít been registered since 2016 and probably not ran much since then either. I canít find much info in the DTA Fast ECU system and I canít find the laptop to manage it. Any ideas on who can tune this system? I live in Portland and have heard good things about Rothsport in Sherwood. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2020, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That is an SC with its 3.0 CIS removed to be replaced with a 3.2L engine and an after market engine management system.

If I were you, I would go back to a 3.2L DME electronic system. Or sell the engine and get a proper 3.0 CIS.
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 03-22-2020, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Pretty cool. Doesn’t look too bad. Those rear flares look “massaged”. Could you please post pics of them from the rear? Looks to have sport seats too.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree! Cool car. Tidy up the wires in the engine compartment and drive the hell out of it! Good luck, congratulations and have fun. Hope you don’t mind doing a little wrenching on it. That’s at least half the fun.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Rothsport is one of the premier Porsche shops in the NW. you can’t go wrong going there. They have total cred. It looks like they put a 3.2 from a Carrera into your SC. Get it up to Rothsport,have them sort it and have a ball.

#Itís WE, not me
Old 03-22-2020, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum, and GOOD score.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Nice car. Welcome to the forum.

Can't go wrong with Rothsport. Be prepared to wait to get in (not just due to the virus - they are always busy). It's worth the wait.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
appears to be a bundle of thermocouples. Can't tell if it's a 3.0 with a carrera intake or actually a 3.2 without the engine number.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
...and it has "turbo" seats (MK2 Recaro sport seats)

if the engines runs (well), why not keep it and tidy it up a bit.

enjoy!
Old 03-23-2020, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

"It hasn’t been registered since 2016 "...

Can't register it if it won't smog. Same issue we have here in California.

As fun as it looks, I would keep driving it 'til you get pulled over!

Cheers,
Joe
87 Carrera

Last edited by stlrj; 03-23-2020 at 04:51 AM..
Old 03-23-2020, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelcab1 View Post
...I would go back to a 3.2L DME electronic system...

+1 to this. I'd say reinstate the stock ECU. Nothing like stock systems to preserve value, perhaps avoid the smog issues associated with non-stock parts (if you care), as well as simply work as intended overall.

The 3.2 is a sweet engine. I've had one in two of my 911s over the years.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Welcome aboard, nice car.
Very active 911 community here in the PDX and surrounding areas.
I’d suggest going to C&C at World of speed to meet some, but the timing is wrong right now.
Jeff at Rothsport will take good care of you.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm surprised no one has asked yet.. would love to hear more about how you inherited this beautiful car.

Instagram: @wingsaircooled
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorytown View Post
I donít know anything about it. I canít tell if it has a 3.2 swapped in or if itís a retrofit to the 3.0.
Post the chassis VIN and the engine #.

Then it'll be obvious if it's an SC with a 3.2 swap, an SC/3.0 with an EFI/3.2 manifold conversion, or a 3.2 with a stand-alone ECU added.

Personally, if it's an SC with a 3.2 swap and a stand-alone ECU, I wouldn't go back to Motronic. The originality ship already sailed, and any ECU available now is a huge improvement...

Quote:
I canít find much info in the DTA Fast ECU system and I canít find the laptop to manage it. Any ideas on who can tune this system?
I'd contact the guys that made it - might be one of their older products, though:

https://www.dtafast.co.uk/products/?cat=ECUs

Quote:
I live in Portland and have heard good things about Rothsport in Sherwood. Any advice would be appreciated.
Either Rothsport or Steve Weiner (Rennsport) are close to you; both among the very best.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
Ive always wondered how an SC would look like with OZ Futuras.

It looks fantastic! Are those 17s?
Old 03-23-2020, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
Rothsport is one of the premier Porsche shops in the NW. you canít go wrong going there. They have total cred. It looks like they put a 3.2 from a Carrera into your SC. Get it up to Rothsport,have them sort it and have a ball.
Jeff Gamroth & Co are great. He may have records on what he did, what's inside the engine, etc. He also really knows his stuff, and is a great guy. Give him a ring and see if he remembers the car or has records.

If you don't know Rothsport builds the Guntherwerks engines, and the Emory Motorsports engines.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks for all the good info!

The fenders look to be stock but rolled. I have not noticed any rubbing.

The OZ wheels are indeed 17" which looks a bit big for the car but may be needed because of the larger brakes. Speaking of which, any ideas what these brakes are off of?

I'm also thinking the rear suspension needs to be raised a bit to match the front. Agree or disagree?

It's a long story about how this wound up in my possession. Basically I have a father who I hadn't seen in 12 years but we recently reconnected. He unfortunately had to move into assisted living and can't drive anymore due to his condition. He loves this car and asked me to take it and get it back on the road so that I can come take him for a ride every now and then. He has early onset Alzheimer's / dementia so he cant remember any specifics about the car, he thinks he just got the car a few years ago even though its been at least 10. So I just want to give him some good memories before its too late.

I called Jeff at Rothsport and he said to bring it by when I can. I just don't know if I can afford it the more I hear how renowned Jeff is in this community but the car and my dad deserve it so I'll do what I can to get it right.

I also called DTA Fast this morning in the UK and they directed me to the tuning software and said to just give them a call if we need any tuning help or advice. They again said Jeff at Rothsport was the perfect guy to take it to.

So I guess it all comes down to $$$. I will post some progress threads when it gets going. I look forward to meeting up with the locals when all this BS is over.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2020, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Here are some pictures of condition it was in when I picked it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2020, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Brakes?
Look suspiciously like 996TT monoblocs to me. Probably an Instant-G kit. Most say they're much too front-biased without a dual master cylinder setup to compensate/trim the bias.

Here's Boxster S (or 996 NA) monoblocs for a size comparison; note how both the calipers and the rotors are smaller. They're lighter, and the bias is better (but still too front-biased @ 1.7:1). Still unlikely to ever overheat them on a street car (I had to go to the track before my Porterfield pads gassed off):

Old 03-23-2020, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: