Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.57 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
kinda slow

Garage
Started suspension and steering refresh. Went through the steering rack, replaced some bearings and repacked, turbo tie rods on the bench, just waiting on some parts.

Then these jerks, ughh. Just these took the better part of a day to get out. One of them came out pretty easily, but I started hammering on the other one, and well...

Old 07-05-2020, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8781 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
I modified my 86 coupe passenger door frame to accept a 65-68 swing vent window. If thereís enough interest I might make a write up, once I do a few finishing touches on the passenger one I will go ahead and do the drivers side and can document it

Short story is, you have to drill 4 holes in your frame, and drill out two rivets that attach a mounting bracket to the cross frame of the non swing window so you can re-use it

Pic:

(Edit: the benefit of this is you get to keep your aluminum frames. 65-67 were made of brass, and 68 was a one year only aluminum vent window for the coupe, so if you can find those then youíre golden. I originally planned to just have my brass ones blasted and powder coated. But the mounting holes didnít line up perfectly, and I didnít want to modify my door. Itís very close but I wasnít satisfied with the fit. I feel like this is a great alternative. Iíll probably just vinyl wrap what very little chrome I have seeing as it is minor).
Ive been wanting to do this. Have you been able to match the glass green tint from the Ď86? Where did you source the vent window frame, etc?
Cheers,
Johan
Old 07-06-2020, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8782 (permalink)
Retired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
Started suspension and steering refresh. Went through the steering rack, replaced some bearings and repacked, turbo tie rods on the bench, just waiting on some parts.

Then these jerks, ughh. Just these took the better part of a day to get out. One of them came out pretty easily, but I started hammering on the other one, and well...

Suggest a little anti seize with re-assembly.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8783 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Ive been wanting to do this. Have you been able to match the glass green tint from the Ď86? Where did you source the vent window frame, etc?
Cheers,
Johan
PMíd
Old 07-07-2020, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8784 (permalink)

Garage
After several modes including a AFR gauge, I installed a chip from 911 Chips (Steve Wong). Best money I have ever spent on the car. Difference in smoothness and power is amazing. Steve’s customer service is excellent and I would highly recommend his product.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8785 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Thumbs up

+1

ďSimplicity is the ultimate sophistication.Ē

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-09-2020, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8786 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Installed my fresh rebuilt 2.8 Also installed a Mocal thermostat.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8787 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Thumbs up

'Very' nice!

ďSimplicity is the ultimate sophistication.Ē

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-17-2020, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8788 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Out with the old and in with the new

Started spraying PB Blaster on all the fittings last week. Read about the threads on the thermostat and was a little worried about messing them up but they came out OK. Used the oil line wrenches offered by our host.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8789 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
I modified my 86 coupe passenger door frame to accept a 65-68 swing vent window. If thereís enough interest I might make a write up, once I do a few finishing touches on the passenger one I will go ahead and do the drivers side and can document it

Short story is, you have to drill 4 holes in your frame, and drill out two rivets that attach a mounting bracket to the cross frame of the non swing window so you can re-use it

Pic:

(Edit: the benefit of this is you get to keep your aluminum frames. 65-67 were made of brass, and 68 was a one year only aluminum vent window for the coupe, so if you can find those then youíre golden. I originally planned to just have my brass ones blasted and powder coated. But the mounting holes didnít line up perfectly, and I didnít want to modify my door. Itís very close but I wasnít satisfied with the fit. I feel like this is a great alternative. Iíll probably just vinyl wrap what very little chrome I have seeing as it is minor).
Very interesting. I attempted the same this past spring but I could never get the vent window to shut. I tried two rubber seal suppliers since I thought that might be the problem, but no go.
I gave up as I wanted to drive the car and not be messing with it.
I hope to have another go at it next down season and I think a write up from you would be very helpful, so thank you in advance.
BTW, I was told the chrome portion gave the car a bit of a hot rod look. Go figure.
I liked it.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8790 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Pressure washed it. Bad idea! I dont know what i was thinking. Blew off a bunch of clear and a little paint. Went around and touched it up got it looking ok again. silver lining the vinyl fender guards on the back fenders were looking pretty bad because they painted over them and were looking chippy i debated replacing them but the pressure washer took the paint off and they are like new now. Well I did one side anyway ill save the other side for another day.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8791 (permalink)
Registered

Finally got the driver's Recaro in after figuring out the spacers I needed and getting the hardware. Passenger's seat to follow once I get a couple more spacers.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8792 (permalink)

Registered

New front trunk carpet thanks to FlyingJay......A small detail that was bugging me. The original gray Perlon stuff was crap.

Last edited by Larmo63; 07-19-2020 at 08:06 PM..
Old 07-19-2020, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8793 (permalink)
Registered

Double post............

Last edited by Larmo63; 07-19-2020 at 08:05 PM..
Old 07-19-2020, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8794 (permalink)
Registered

Mounted a Rennline skid plate. Nice part, fits well.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8795 (permalink)
Registered

that is rad. I'd throw one on if it worked with front AC ac condenser
www.instagram.com/patrickossenkop
www.instagram.com/drive_oz
Old 07-24-2020, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8796 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Porsche Crest

All I did yesterday was take my 911 to the local farmerís market. Got some fresh tomatoís, corn and melons. Yum!

Old 07-24-2020, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8797 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Drove it in 94F to see how the motor would react to wicked heat and humidity.

50 miles on the highway at 33-3700rpm, and some stop/go traffic. Ran perfectly, seemed to actually like the heat, temp was perfect, and surprisingly, the transmission really liked the heat! Shifted like butter.

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 07-24-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8798 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
that is rad. I'd throw one on if it worked with front AC ac condenser
Yeah I don't think it would fit the AC condenser without bending the skid plate at the front or spacing it down. I don't have AC but I had to remove the bar that protects the condenser because it interfered with the plate.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8799 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory M View Post
Mounted a Rennline skid plate. Nice part, fits well.

Look good.

Does it replace the Pan (#7 - Protective Plate)?

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-24-2020, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8800 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: