Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You would think by now they woud know an MSD is CARB legal. I've thrown away a half dozen of the stickers installing them over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post

(I have a CARB sticker on there for the MSD unit and they looked at it hard and read the sticker language) they'll flunk it on the visual.

Best of luck to you...Chuck
Old 12-28-2007, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I think what my brother... the OP, is going to do is, buy whatever turbo, headers, muffler, I/C and whatever else he wants, run it, and then change it out right before the 2 year inspection... then after he passes, change it back. It is so stupid, but I would think that a car with Motec, Link, or any other high end EFI system would be better and cleaner burning thatn a 20 plus year old car running CIS, but because it is not OEM, Or the manufacter didnt spend millions of dollars to get a CARB sticker...its illegal to run in CA...

Seems to me like CA, the EPA, and any other gov agency that is involved need to pull their head out of their ASSHO!E

I am all for trying to mAke a better, cleaner environment to live in... but at what expense???
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 12-28-2007, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Brat930: The problem is legislation...it takes an act of Congross (intentional misspell) to change the language in any legislation. Although logic tells you that the EFI cars are actually running cleaner than the CIS....or that some of the CIS setups can easily pass the EMISSIONS part of the test......they flunk it on the visual because of the language in the statute that defines what is "legal" and what isn't.

Here in California, it's a crap shoot when it comes to passing smog. You can take it to one person who doesn't know what to look for on the VISUAL part of the test and will pass it when the EMISSIONS part flies thru cleaner than the baseline specs. You go to another station and it flunks the visual right off the bat.....but you've already paid your fee and the data goes into the central DMV computer by VIN number.

Does it make sense that a clean running car should flunk because of visual? Hell no it doesn't, but that's the law....and until it's changed to be more realistic, you're stuck. I'm just waiting for my 930 to hit 25 years old, then I believe that it becomes classified as an antique and gets some exemption.....but I've got to check the language on that part.

chuck
Old 12-28-2007, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Chuck,
Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

chuck, you think? 25 years? I think they did away with that. I have your younger cousin, an 88 no slantnose. I got a built motor and no smog stuff on it. Geez I hope that 25 year thing is ture. Down here, they have rolling smog check. they pick one area, and sniff everyone. Thank god I don't drive my car everyday.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

look171....I'm sure you had something worthy of saying....but it just didn't come thru. I await your response with baited breath.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Look171: Funny you shoud mention the road checks. Sometime back I mentioned this and got some responses that I was being paranoid.....that no one ever had run into a road check. I have...and especially in California the CHP is known to set up these checks. You can bet that they'll pull out an older Porsche if they happen to see it coming.

If you need the cat and muffler...you pay for the shipping and I'll be happy to loan it to you for the test. That way you only have to worry about two years down the road.

In the mean time ....enjoy the ride!!
Chuck
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You need to move to AL. Down here are hybrids run gas and oil.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

CA did away with the 25 yr. old law a few years ago. '75 is the last year for no smog.
One of the main reasons I bought (or justified buying ) the DP was it has always been a Ca car. and the dealer had to smog it before shipping it up.
Harold
Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Smog

Well,

I appreciate all of your input. I started to get a chubby when Chuck was talking about the "25 year antique exempt" issue, but I knew it was too good to be true.

I will, like my brother said, change these parts out every two years to make sure that I pass, but it is worth it in the long run. My guess is it will be a hassel the first time... seeing how the car has 96k on it and has never come apart, but it will be easy every two years as it will not be froze up (using SS nuts, etc.) and I will be familiar with the process.

What's 4 hours and being able to assess if anything is wrong with your car. I would guess that the CHP has absolutely no idea what a new exhaust, turbo and intercooler look like if they were not stock. I could lie and say that they are oem products that have been polished... they wouldn't know the difference.

What I am most concerned with is the emission numbers that I was producing during the smog test. I have posted them below. I know what the letters and abreviations mean, I just can't interpret them other than to say the car is running rich, but it seems like it could be a host of different things that would make this happen other than just leaning the car out to fix.

Any input? The results are below.

Test
15mph, HC (PPM) was 147 (max is 116 and GP was 291), CO% was 3.40 (Max was .74 and GP was 2.24)

25mph, HC (PPM) was 66 (max was 91 and GP was 241(this was ok)), CO% was 1.12 (max was .62 and GP was 2.12)

GP = Gross Poluter Limits
PPM = Parts Per Million
HC = I think Hydro carbons
CO = Carbon Monoxide

Any takers on what could be causing this? Please only respond to this particular question if you have some knowledge on this issue. I am not looking to confuse myself anymore than I already am.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

While I don't know what it means, here is mine for comparison:
hc (ppm) C0 % no (ppm)
max ave meas max. ave. meas. max ave meas
15 mph 214 47 27 1.35 0.20 1.17 1364 554 195

25 mph 181 37 16 1.16 0.17 1.16 1224 468 193

max: maximum allowable emissions
ave: average emissions for passing vehicles
meas: amount measured
Old 12-29-2007, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

"started to get a chubby...???? That's a new one on me and you had me laughing my A$$ off.

Sorry if I put out some misinformation with respect to the exemption for 25 year old cars....I do believe that Gumba is right when he said that anything from 75 on back is smog exempt, but I'm going to look up the statue anyway....sure would be nice.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
To lower the CO you adjust the mixture screw with an allen key. You need to go leaner.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-29-2007, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Hmmm. You might not only have smog testing to worry about.

In areas where street racing is killing too many innocent citizens, the CHP or the local PD will impound vehicles that don't pass visual inspection until they are put back to factory spec. By a shop of their choosing. If you don't pay for it to be done within a certain time period, they crush the vehicle.

Pretty sure they introduced that in San Diego when I was living there in response to all the ricers going out street racing, seem to recall reading it in the local paper.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
CHP Visual

Well, if I get a ticket, I will already have all of the original parts to put back to original for smog tests, so I should be ok. I appreciate your concern though.

Bryan
Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Spuggy: From what I've heard, the deal about crushing the vehicles has nothing to do with whether they pass smog....it has to do with the judges passing sentences on the kids who are caught street racing where there's an injury/death, and part of the sentencing is to make them watch while their cars are being crushed. Apparently that tactic gets their attention.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

California car crush:
I dont care about if I was wrong by street racing or not, I would take a jail sentence just to destroy any official that had a hand in sentencing my car to being crushed- along with whoever created the law. I would make make what the taliban does for torture look like a swedish massage.

On the emmisions thing, I dont think the cops are going to bother Porsche owners so much as people from my generation drag racing their hondas and things like that.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

930gt wrote..."I would take a jail sentence just to destroy any official that had a hand in sentencing my car to being crushed- along with whoever created the law. I would make make what the taliban does for torture look like a swedish massage."

What kind of a bull**** statement is that? You're saying you'd "destroy any official that had a hand in sentencing....." What you're saying is that you'd kill, assault, or whatever the judge who passed down that sentence? You may not agree with the sentencing....but that sort of threat is over the top and inappropriate. If you don't like the law or the sentencing, there are other means for dissenting rather than threatening to kill or torture a judge.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

After the next project

Garage
Fighting

Hey, take it outside... everybody calm down. I am sure he was exaggerating to get his point across. Now, please read below.

Can we get back to the original question at hand? Does anyone know how to read my results other than to say "lean it out"? I would like to be more knowledgeable on these numbers and what other than "running lean" could affect them.

1) Is it the catalytic converter that's bad
2) Is something else here that I'm missing

Thanks guys,

Bryan
Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Bryan,

Try this, some good info. If you need help with changing muffler and cat, let me know.

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/smog/smog_faq.html

regards,
Julian
2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: