Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Stranger on the Internet
 
patkeefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 3,121
Thanks:
All Porsches should be track capable. Lot easier to build a street only model, that never sees more tha 10 seconds of boost.

Prior, I had no boost retard. That strategy did not work out as well as hoped. The new iteration has an MSD boost retartd box, and a J&S Safeguard. I figure the MSD will for sure work, whereas the J&S unit will let me run at the edge of detonation.. I don't know how good of a knock signal I will get.

__________________
Patrick E. Keefe
78 SC
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered User
 
copbait73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chesterfield IN
Posts: 1,336
Garage
930 parts for sale:

FS: 78 930 Engine Parts
Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered User
 
gavinc69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bournemouth UK
Posts: 1,012
Garage
Found an old article on turbo charging Bosch K-Jetronic 911's, very simple design.
Note this was done on a 1974 model car so should be better all round on a 3.0 car ;-)
Im torn between turbo charging and supercharging myself, supercharger seems easier but when ever i hear a Zork im left nursing a semi lol.
This type of setup with maybe a few added extras from other peoples turbo conversions maybe the answer...







Two more images to follow
Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered User
 
gavinc69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bournemouth UK
Posts: 1,012
Garage
Old 03-19-2010, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered User
 
gavinc69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bournemouth UK
Posts: 1,012
Garage
Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered User
 
gavinc69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bournemouth UK
Posts: 1,012
Garage
Anyone know if a turbocharger form an Audi TT would be good for a 3.0 conversion?

There are several different models and are KKK like Porsche used to use model numbers :

K04 - 020
K04 - 022
K04 - 023

Prices seem good second hand, easy availability and they have an adjustable actuator with them to adjust boost.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 7,269
Good find on the article.

This is a "Blow Through" style set up and exactly what I was thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post

...Could build it as a 'blow through' using the existing CIS system.

Blow through would cut the plumbing in half...


Last edited by 911st; 03-22-2010 at 08:21 PM..
Old 03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered User
 
gavinc69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bournemouth UK
Posts: 1,012
Garage
Just found these on ebay, not sure what the turbo's are like, but they are selling them stating they are fine for 911's and engine from 1.8 to 3.0 ltr, the turbo's alone are cheap and the extra parts in the basic kit would come in handy, although a large intercooler with different shape and in/out locations would be better :

PORSCHE 944 914 911 4" T70/T3 STAGE IV 4 TURBO CHARGER : eBay Motors (item 250497250121 end time Apr-09-10 18:54:15 PDT)

Porsche 911 T3T4 TurboCharger Turbo Kit : eBay Motors (item 260551660886 end time Apr-11-10 20:00:06 PDT)

Porsche 911 T3T4 TurboCharger Turbo Kit : eBay Motors (item 270461026251 end time Mar-23-10 12:35:25 PDT)

Porsche 911 T3T4 Turbo Charger Kit : eBay Motors (item 350216993012 end time Apr-18-10 20:19:24 PDT)
Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 7,269
I have to assunm thouse are Chinise turbos. I do not know anything about them but what little I have heard would give me pause.

I would rather find a used K27-7200 or even stock LDZ from a stock 930.

Alternately. I bought a custom 60-1 Turbonetics turbo once several years ago new sized to work well on a 930 for about $650. I do not know what they would cost now but they are very good turbos. Might look into something like that. 944 and Audi units will be to small on the hot side.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sjf911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Idaho
Posts: 5,727
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Good find on the article.

This is a "Blow Through" style set up and exactly what I was thinking!
I don't think that clear plastic air-box cover would stand too many engine heat and 5 psi boost cycles before fatigue failure and blowout.
__________________
Steve
Sapere aude
1983 3.4L 911SC turbo. Sold
Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 7,269
This is out there and not tottaly in the spirt of a cheap build.

I wonder if one could by going with the blow through design fit a water to air intercooler into the air box. Could just leave the back side of the air section open and flange it to fit part way into the CIS air box.

This could get effective intercooling under the stock hood.

Would be pretty neat.

Could be fun.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 7,269
I wonder if one could fit a pot from a 930 to the SC distributor to get "boost retard" in place of vac retard.

I suspect one would have to use the inside or Vac Retard side of the 930 pot to do this. Then just set timing like on a 930 at 25 deg at rpm and when boost come up it would retard to about 19 deg.

I wonder if there is a correlation between the direction a Porsche dist rotates and if it has vac-advance (2.7RS and 3.0 Turbo?), or vac retard (SC and 3.3 Turbo?).
Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
flat6pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Puyallup, Wa
Posts: 866
Garage
This thread has me interested.

I have a 1980 Euro 3.0l SC with 8.5-1 pistons. I'm also using TBitz's EFI setup. (If it helps or matters)

Using a modest, stock 930 turbo system is an interesting idea.

Has someone made a parts list by any chance of what it would take to do a "stock 930" turbo conversion?

I saw Ben (M&K) has a turbo kit, but doesn't have any info on his website yet.


-Just curious, but might pull the trigger.
__________________
-Kyle
* 1980 911SC - Turbo conversion, SBH 930 gearbox, Bitz MS-II EFI, Carerra intake, Zork tube, 2300lbs, 360whp
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,263
Here is a list of all the items I sourced for the conversion. Some parts are not required, like the twin plug and 965stuff.

Good Luck!!!

930 CIS
CIS Fuel Lines - only bc my cis was missing this
CIS Elbow - only bc my cis was missing this
Turbo Piping
Intercooler&Shroud
Airbox
993 Hes
Flip Flanges
Y-pipe
Turbo
Scavange Pump
Muffler
Intake Studs
Turbo Bracket
IC Bracket (+coil)
Turbo Oil Tank
Waste Gates 38mm Vband
Charge pipe seal
WUR Banjo bolt
"Turbo Oil supply Lines/
IC Harware, Mount"
Turbo oil return - AN fittings
K27 Adapter
Airbox to CIS bracket
965 Elbow
965 Reducer
"Gaskets (P. Parts Order)
Brake pads, o-rings"
Turbo Decklid
Boost Guage
Distributor
Lower Plug Wires
__________________
Jeremy C.
Why's he calling me meat? I'm the one driving a Porsche. (Bull Durham)
----Nothing is far away in this car!----
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport

Last edited by jcc911; 08-11-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered User
 
flat6pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Puyallup, Wa
Posts: 866
Garage
Thanks for the shopping list Jeremy!
__________________
-Kyle
* 1980 911SC - Turbo conversion, SBH 930 gearbox, Bitz MS-II EFI, Carerra intake, Zork tube, 2300lbs, 360whp
Old 08-11-2010, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head
 
carslutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: riVersiDe, cA
Posts: 510
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
neat project
__________________
1978 911sc Targa - CNC plasma/router cut parts, tig welding, sheet metal work, VAG-COM, LM-1. let me know if u need something
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tilikum Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,004
Garage
A proper conversion will cost a LOT of $$$$...I spent roughly $22,000 converting a 1983 SC to a 3.3L turbo(1986 930 engine)IF you SC is in good shape, it may be worth it just to sell it outright, and buy a properly sorted 930.

The tranny is also something to consider...my 915 was beefed up, with a Proforce Clutch/Flywheel wet-up. The conversion was done by 911 Design(which also run a 911 in the ALMS series) in Montclair, CA.

Personally, i don't recommending trying to make a 911SC engine into a 930 engine. The 930 engine was designed from the get-go for forced induction...not so for the SC series. What you may have at the end of such a project is a 'bastard-child' which may be difficult at best to sell or establish a value(kinda like doing some home improvements which can actually de-value a home)

Contrary to popular belief, parts numbers on 911 engines that start with 930_... are not 930 turbo parts lifted onto the regular 911.

Good luck whatever you do!
__________________
1983 911 3.3L Turbo(YES, I know the turbo badge is on the right...had to be different!)
1996 Toyota Corolla(der 'clapper')
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering
 
gsmith660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Personally, i don't recommending trying to make a 911SC engine into a 930 engine. The 930 engine was designed from the get-go for forced induction...not so for the SC series. What you may have at the end of such a project is a 'bastard-child' which may be difficult at best to sell or establish a value(kinda like doing some home improvements which can actually de-value a home)

Contrary to popular belief, parts numbers on 911 engines that start with 930_... are not 930 turbo parts lifted onto the regular 911.

Good luck whatever you do!
That is not entirely correct, a part number is a part number the lower end on the SC and the turbo share the majority of the internal parts I believe the difference is the oil pump area as the turbo was designed with a higher capacity pump than the SC and other subtle changes but basically the same. As for cost 22K is certainly possible for any motor but if you are doing the work yourself and not using all exotic parts (as most stock lower end parts are well suited for a turbo motor) you will not need near that much money. As for your "basterd-child" comment to each their own I didn't do it for the established value idea I did it because it's kind of like climbing Everest just to see if I could do it which is more the spirit of this forum and more of what the original thread author was trying to do.
__________________
" Porsche there is no substitute" I always liked that saying. Air cooled is the only way to go!
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 09-03-2010, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tilikum Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
That is not entirely correct, a part number is a part number the lower end on the SC and the turbo share the majority of the internal parts I believe the difference is the oil pump area as the turbo was designed with a higher capacity pump than the SC and other subtle changes but basically the same. As for cost 22K is certainly possible for any motor but if you are doing the work yourself and not using all exotic parts (as most stock lower end parts are well suited for a turbo motor) you will not need near that much money. As for your "basterd-child" comment to each their own I didn't do it for the established value idea I did it because it's kind of like climbing Everest just to see if I could do it which is more the spirit of this forum and more of what the original thread author was trying to do.

Don't take offense at the 'bastard-child' comment: I am sure that someone down the road would want to buy it, but personally I won't touch someones "project" car with a 100 foot pole. Why? Any 911 is seriously de-valued when the engine is re-worked into something it never was intended to be. The crank, heads, pistons, bore, just to name a few are major differences between the normal 3.0L SC engine, and the 3.3L turbo. Those and many other changes are the 'subtle' differences that make the engine upgraded to take the forced induction(which that 930 was designed and engineered for), along with the RELIABILITY. I am sure you could twin-turbo a 911SC engine, but it might only last 10-20K.

You could chase down parts for 6-12 months, and beat youself up in the heat/cold of your garage, only to result in something less than desirable.
Even as an engineer, I trust the engineers at Porsche a LOT more than me that they did the research and development on that turbo motor. Trying to spin yarn into gold in my own garage...I just can't go there. My 7 years in university was my "mount everest". I'm not going to try and re-invent the wheel, when it's sitting right in front of me.

Cheers!
__________________
1983 911 3.3L Turbo(YES, I know the turbo badge is on the right...had to be different!)
1996 Toyota Corolla(der 'clapper')
Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering
 
gsmith660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Don't take offense at the 'bastard-child' comment: I am sure that someone down the road would want to buy it, but personally I won't touch someones "project" car with a 100 foot pole. Why? Any 911 is seriously de-valued when the engine is re-worked into something it never was intended to be. The crank, heads, pistons, bore, just to name a few are major differences between the normal 3.0L SC engine, and the 3.3L turbo. Those and many other changes are the 'subtle' differences that make the engine upgraded to take the forced induction(which that 930 was designed and engineered for), along with the RELIABILITY. I am sure you could twin-turbo a 911SC engine, but it might only last 10-20K.

You could chase down parts for 6-12 months, and beat youself up in the heat/cold of your garage, only to result in something less than desirable.
Even as an engineer, I trust the engineers at Porsche a LOT more than me that they did the research and development on that turbo motor. Trying to spin yarn into gold in my own garage...I just can't go there. My 7 years in university was my "mount everest". I'm not going to try and re-invent the wheel, when it's sitting right in front of me.

Cheers!
Whoa you need to climb down off that high horse your car is in the same boat as mine I do it for fun not for resale value my car was hamstrung for that from its inception due to the extent of the thiefs work but you did yours by design I am not taking offense but I think you should take another tack since you have also bastardized your car your tone is very high and mighty, wont get too much help on this forum from that. No offense but if 7 years in college is the pinnicle you should set your sights higher your already on the downhill slide.

__________________
" Porsche there is no substitute" I always liked that saying. Air cooled is the only way to go!
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me

Last edited by gsmith660; 09-03-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 

Tags
uire


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:53 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.