Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

My EFI conversion method

I know there are many ways to get injector support hardware onto a 930. The two most simple ways are an injector block that replaces the stock injector mounts/blocks and the 3.2 manifold. The injector blocks are available from several sources with pricing that starts about $1000. a Carrera manifold is slightly cheaper but then there is the added expense of putting new rubber in the fuel rails and most likely plumbing a new intercooler as the stock system does not fit. Either way, its money that has to be spent.

So I thought I would come up with a cost effective method for adding EFI to a stock injector block. Some of you might have a spare set of these lying around. You might also have a willingness to drill and tap them one size larger. You see the stock threads are too small diameter to support an EFI injector. But an M12 thread gets you something like this...

I have several sets made. The cost is considerably cheaper than other systems. Out the door will be less than $300 including fuel rails. I will also consider modifying your stock blocks on an exchange basis.

When combined with some long tip injectors ( I like the Seimens Deka) this offers an alternative solution to EFI injector installation. You can remove all of the CIS system and run EFI on an otherwise stock manifold.

I will have more updates with the adapters come back from the platers. Consider a set for your next EFI project.

classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Put me down for a set.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbofrog

How is the spray pattern with that adapter? What is the optimal spray for 930 heads?
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I did not find it necessary to make any adaptor with the newer Siemens (now Continental) Deka VI injectors, which are slimmer and have an extended nozzle tip (see pics). This result was not achieved with hand drilling. It was on a milling machine. I would use new injector blocks, as the plastic warps over time and makes the surfaces non-parallel.

THE DOWNSIDE WITH THIS APPROACH IS THAT YOU CANNOT ENLARGE THE PORT DIAMETER. The metal injector blocks, while heavy, do permit larger port diameters.

When making a rail, be sure to include two different methods for securing the injectors to the rail. I like to use the stock clips to secure the injector to the rail, and the method shown in the picture to hold the injectors in the engine. This provides fuel system integrity on par with production vehicles.

The injector cone angle should be around 15 to 20 degrees, depending on port diameter. Do not use a pencil spray. Injection timing is more important than any tweeking of angle beyond this range. DO NTO USE INJECTORS FROM FOUR VALVE ENGINES. They almost always have twin pencil sprays, which just spray fuel on our port walls. They will work, but not that great.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Speedy Squirrel,

What about injectors from a Dodge SRT Charger?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Very cool Jamie! I look forward to meeting you someday soon and talking further about EFI, I have followed all your related threads with great interest.
Yasin
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
THE DOWNSIDE WITH THIS APPROACH IS THAT YOU CANNOT ENLARGE THE PORT DIAMETER...
Why not???

I increased mine a couple years ago in my CIS days on a lathe. Not sure about how much, think it was 36mm

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Quote:

Quote de Speedy Squirrel

THE DOWNSIDE WITH THIS APPROACH IS THAT YOU CANNOT ENLARGE THE PORT DIAMETER...

Why not???

I increased mine a couple years ago in my CIS days on a lathe. Not sure about how much, think it was 36mm
That was per Chris at Turbokraft. Based on your experience. It appears he is mistaken. Walls must have been pretty thin though.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Speedy Squirrel,

What about injectors from a Dodge SRT Charger?
A good choice.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I agree that boring the injector threads for a press fit is a great option. Not every DIY enthusiast has access to equipment to make this happen. To drill and tap an existing hole is within the capability of most people doing a home EFI install.

You do make some great suggestions. Yes, the "Hemi" injectors are a great choice. The 5.4 or 6.2L application have some flow rates that match well with most power targets for these cars with normal bolt-ons.

Porting is an interesting subject. I have seen some nice numbers on non-ported heads. If you are wanting to port the heads and need a larger injector block these may not be the answer. But if you just want the drivability and fuel control of EFI in an otherwise stock setup I think this is a great solution.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

No wonder we haven't heard from you in awhile; just whittlin' away on your project.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yes Cory. Never a dull moment around my place.

Most of the time has been getting the 914 back on the road. Its running well. Just need plates and tires to get it out and fine tune.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Awesome. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
That was per Chris at Turbokraft. Based on your experience. It appears he is mistaken. Walls must have been pretty thin though.
Stock plastic CIS injector blocks are prone to cracking and warping, even with standard 32mm bore and standard thickness walls.
The factory bored them to 36mm on some S/SE engines, and they failed sooner still.
Try to go larger, and the walls get really thin.
Somewhere in the shop we have a ported one that blew the side out at 1.0bar boost.

Thus aluminum injector blocks and thermal insulators. No more warping or cracking.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Stock plastic CIS injector blocks are prone to cracking and warping, even with standard 32mm bore and standard thickness walls.
The factory bored them to 36mm on some S/SE engines, and they failed sooner still.
Try to go larger, and the walls get really thin.
Somewhere in the shop we have a ported one that blew the side out at 1.0bar boost.

Thus aluminum injector blocks and thermal insulators. No more warping or cracking.
I used them bored for a couple of years without any issue. Maybe the age of the blocks are a factor too. But no doubt, risk is higher and I can only agree to your statement Chris

PS: I have to say (as a lightweight fetish), the aluminum blocks are a lot heavier

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Wide body, molester.

Jamie, put me down for a modded set. That will likely hold me for a few years until I can afford Chris's mack daddy IC's to use with my dust covered carrera intake.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
Out the door will be less than $300 including fuel rails. I will also consider modifying your stock blocks on an exchange basis.
Can they work with the 3.2 intake and OEM rails?

911 C2 Turbo Look
Harley Fat Boy
Jeep TJ Sporttrac Adrenalin
911 SC(sold)Sporttrac(sold)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

No need for these with a 3.2 intake. Just install the injectors and use the factory rails.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by balleta View Post
Can they work with the 3.2 intake and OEM rails?
Everyday one have a moment of stupidity. Really, I don't know what I was thinking about when I made this question...
Sorry but, anyway I hope somebody is still laughing at it
Promised: I will not make stupid questions like this again...

911 C2 Turbo Look
Harley Fat Boy
Jeep TJ Sporttrac Adrenalin
911 SC(sold)Sporttrac(sold)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Stupid comment coming up

Or you could use them with the Carrera manifold to be able to use stacked injectors. Didn't RUF do that on the yellow bird.

I know things have improved, but that way you could maybe obtain a better idle with quite a large flow capacity.

Slightly OT, but just a thought.

Btw, this injector block idea is great!

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: