Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slantnose from HELL

Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Mr. C

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post

* The Mother Lode *

Six = Sex

Last edited by SAY - 642; 05-24-2014 at 09:45 AM..
Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

hot damn, where's that pic from? if it's someone you know, much respect to your skills (women and photography).
Old 05-24-2014, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Want the hot chicks you need to dump your 930 and get an old longhood like this one.
Looks like an old shot of a hippie chic.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

there's a crack in the dashboard
Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
On the dashboard
Old 05-24-2014, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Bwahaha "Crack on the dashboard "
Old 05-24-2014, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

in, on and by
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 05-24-2014, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Someone must have a tube of crack-filler.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Saying that the stock one must be best because it was designed by engineers in Stuttgart (maybe, if not outsourced to L&R) is giving factory engineers credit as perfect, which is nonsense. After all, these are the same guys that fitted the 930 with:
* a rubber-centered clutch disc,
* CIS, even after the 1984 Carrera went EFI and the 1986 951 had EFI,
and, something Robby is intimately familiar with
* possibly the world's worst fuse and relay panel, bad enough to make a Jaguar or Fiat tech laugh and point
It also assumes there have been zero advances in technology since the mid 1970s... 'nuff said.

If these were so perfectly engineered, we'd all be driving stock 911 Turbos.

FYI They changed the rubber centered clutch in the seventies, due to their ongoing quest for the perfect car (you should know this)

Im up to 250000 km on my Daily Driver Stock all Porsche factory Engine 911 Turbo 930, So what are you talking about?

Amount of times ive broken down from failed sock part = ZERO repeat ZERO

Yes i think it is the perfcet car as it is, a Factory 930 especially a Euro version is ultimate,
Whats so good about a giant flippin intercooer that its main use is for people to hide their dirty motors as it covers everything which is such a shame.

PLease do cut one away lets see what technological marvels lies underneath,
i think people dont want to know because they dont want to see that there is in fact nothing there?

People think that i big shiny block of steel will give them more power, shame though because of the weight it adds any alleged power gain is unnoticable

Hey give me 2 grand and ill upset the rear weight bias even more,!! talk about unbalanced (in more ways than one) sheesh

And even with the fuse box half rewired amount of times Ive broken down = ZERO

I had a clutch problem i thought once but that turned out to be the floor carpet had curled up under it, i fixed my clutch problem by moving it back three inches.

Amount of times ive broken down by adding an aftermarket part = 1 (fancy that)
That aftermarket part is now deleted im sticking to Porsche parts only

So what are you Talking about?
You Sound like a Salesman for an aftermarket parts shop

I couldnt resist after your comments about my fusebox, (i know your jealous)

But let the truth be known!

Without prejudice
Rob

Last edited by Robbbyg; 05-25-2014 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: /
Old 05-25-2014, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
I haven't driven and dyno tested a 911 Turbo yet that *doesn't* gain from a larger, more efficient intercooler.
Less back pressure, more efficient cooling -- all good.

Trying to think of a client car where we did a back to back on just an intercooler, and when I remember and find it, I'll post it.

I do recall a back-to-back on a friend's EFI 3.4L 930 running just 1.1bar on pump gas, going from a Garretson IC (which kicks @ss) to our full-width sheetmetal intercooler.
It's a gain everywhere: spool up, torque, power, and you feel this driving the car:

And this is with less airflow on the dyno than the engine receives shooting down the highway, so actual results are a little better.

Big Deal and two months later i bet the motor blew cos it made it unbalanced and unreliable

Show one thats been there for 200000 plus kays ONLY then you can say its as good as or better than factory !
Old 05-25-2014, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
FYI They changed the rubber centered clutch in the seventies, due to their ongoing quest for the perfect car (you should know this)

Im up to 250000 km on my Daily Driver Stock all Porsche factory Engine 911 Turbo 930, So what are you talking about?

Yes i think it is the perfcet car as it is, a Factory 930 especially a Euro version is ultimate,
Whats so good about a giant flippin intercooer that its main use is for people to hide their dirty motors as it covers everything which is such a shame.

i think people dont want to know because they dont want to see that there is in fact nothing there?

People think that i big shiny block of steel will give them more power, shame though because of the weight it adds any alleged power gain is unnoticable

Hey give me 2 grand and ill upset the rear weight bias even more,!! talk about unbalanced (in more ways than one) sheesh

I had a clutch problem i thought once but that turned out to be the floor carpet had curled up under it, i fixed my clutch problem by moving it back three inches.

Without prejudice
Rob
As others have pointed out, a larger intercooler is needed when adding other modifications to the car(to keep mods balanced). Even the factory went with a larger intercooler on their special wishes 930S cars with extra power. If one is to keep their car stock then adding a larger intercooler maybe a waste.

Oh and on aftermarket vs stock...it mainly depends on what you are doing with your car. If you are going to add an aftermarket part, make sure you source a reputable mfg. They're plenty of crappy China mfg aftermarket parts being sold. On the flip side many aftermarket parts have been carefully designed and tested by reputable shops. Are they cheap? NO...but if you are going to go aftermarket then you're going to have to crack open that wallet. Stock parts are just that...STOCK....for when no modification is wanted or needed.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
driving too slow then
Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

What ever happened to BlownSix? They use to make a very nice full bay intercooler with billet end tanks at a very reasonable price. It looked pretty choice to me. I think last time I saw them posted on Ebay for like $1500. I was about to buy one but dragged on it and then when I went looking again, they were gone. At the time, it was the best full bay intercooler out there for the money. Most of the full bay intercoolers available now are: "take out a second mortgage" items.

Hey, SAT-642 that is awesome response! Love the mother load shot! How her face fades in the glass. Cool
Old 05-25-2014, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:

Without prejudice
Rob
You do know that the "shiny" intercoolers are aluminum not steel right?

As for the rest of your rant. Large intercoolers are there for a few reasons. The 2 main ones that I can think of are to keep the intake charge cool which =

1) more power

2) less detonation

IMO the added 5 lbs in the rear to get +40 hp and a cooler charge is well worth the sacrifice. You can shave that off and then some by swapping out the rear bumper with a FG one.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Mr. C

Garage
* Giggles * I could not resist. BTW that does not look like a Hippie Chick, she's more of a Surf Kat.

Six = Sex
Old 05-25-2014, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Let's be clear..... The BIG shiny block DOES NOT............ Make any power by itself UNLESS, (A) you have no shiny block at all. (B) the one you had that was replaced by the bigger more efficient shiny block (C) you are pushing the current turbo too hard and regardless of shiny block on not, will NOT be able to recover from the heat being generated from the over spin. (D) some catastrophic failure that has occurred in which the operator shouldn't be trying to drive the car.
The reason for a big shiny block is to allow more HP to be generated safely and attempt to keep charge temps as close to ambient as possible to help keep excessive heat related detonation (BAD) away.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

What if you use 2 med sized intercoolers on a twin?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Sure, RUF did the same thing on Yellowbird. I even contemplated it when building mine. I just was able to find a core that fit and do what I wanted. There is nothing wrong running separate cores per bank.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962 View Post
What if you use 2 med sized intercoolers on a twin?
As long as they're not shiny, you are all set.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: